Anti-Virus

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Which Anti-Virus software do you use on your Droid Turbo?

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
I don't. I stay away from apps outside a known reputable source and I read the permissions. If it asks for questionable access I back away.
I treat my phone like its a 4 year old.

Agree. Love the 4 year old comment, makes my Turbo and I about the same age...:)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This question has been debated numerous times over the years and here's a short read as to why. Do I need antivirus software for my smartphone - PC Advisor
There are much more detailed articles out there so do some research if you think this is something you want on your device.
As it stated, you don't just get viruses & malware from apps, but from text messages, email & those not so secure sites. Just as your pc at home is protected, so should the computer in your pocket. (IMO) Personally I use Lookout & Malwarebytes on my device. I have 99% of my Version apps disabled so I don't want to use Verizon to find my phone if it's lost, Lookout will do it for me AND it automatically scans every app I download. It's not a battery hog and while I agree that's its PROBABLY not really needed, I personally want that extra piece of mind (even if it is a placebo) as I regularly pay bills, purchase goods and do 50% of my banking from my phone.
If you don't do any of these things with your smartphone you're probably ok.
Just my 2 cents of course.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
As far as "expert" opinions go, all over the map
Android antivirus apps are useless here 8217 s what to do instead ExtremeTech

"The conclusion reached by AV-Test [PDF] is that free Android anti-malware apps are simply not worth your time. It was quite the cavalcade of failure when the apps were used to scan an Android device loaded down with recent, and very real malware. Six of the seven free apps tested failed to get above 10% detection. Only Zoner AntiVirus did any better, but it could only manage 32% detection."

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I use the built in one from vzw.. That way.. If something does happen... They're on the hook..
Did not even notice that, thanks. Hey it's there why not.
McAfee is who I use to protect my Businesses (Corporate version) has served me well 27 years.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I use the built in one from vzw.. That way.. If something does happen... They're on the hook..
What is it called and where do I find it? Perhaps I disabled it and don't even remember.
Did not even notice that, thanks. Hey it's there why not.
McAfee is who I use to protect my Businesses (Corporate version) has served me well 27 years.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
What is it called and where do I find it? Perhaps I disabled it and don't even remember.
"VZ Protect" Red icon last page of apps. It is McAfee and I imagine it is fairly useful.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you do the full subscription.. There are additional benefits to. It.. You can track and remotely wipe your device.. Other than the native ability built in by Motorola.. And dedicated customer service... As well as if your phone is lost, stolen or broke.. You get a replacement the next day..

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't use any either. I do on occasion & had a paid subscription to Avg, but not anymore.

As for remotely locking, wiping, ribbing even when on silent, & locating, do yourself a favor & setup Android Device Manager.

Sent from my Note 4

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
Thanks for Device Manager tip Jonny - much appreciated.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No problem. Used it more than once on my tablet to make my phone ring on the rare occasion I set it down & walked away. Haha!

Sent from my Note 4