Lookout?

rastaman

Reaction score
Does anyone use Lookout? Does anyone use any anti-virus for Droid? Do they need any anti-virus?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used it, it didn't do anything but suck battery and take note of everything I downloaded, I haven't had it installed for months and I still get an email saying my system is safe, in my opinion it does nothing and is a waste

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I agree it is probably a waste, but I downloaded it for the "find my phone" feature...you can turn everything else off. I do use the antivirus (why not) but don't use the backup feature. I can't comment on the battery life suckage

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mobile Defense as a system app works ten times better than lookout as far as "finding your phone" it will actually turn on your GPS via a text that you send from the mobile defense site and then tracks it on a map with pinpoint accuracy, it can also lock down your device

TommyV

Reaction score
nOOb here. I'm using "antivirus" What's kinda cool is that on the lock screen, it has a "This phone belongs to: "

pcolevr

Reaction score
Mobile Defense as a system app works ten times better than lookout as far as "finding your phone" it will actually turn on your GPS via a text that you send from the mobile defense site and then tracks it on a map with pinpoint accuracy, it can also lock down your device
@TPARKER76 - If "Mobile Defense" is a system app versus a Market app, do you have to be rooted to get it? If not, where would I find it? The combination of Lookout, AntiVirus and Task Killer that the VERIZON REP had installed on my Droid with Froyo was giving me about 2 hour max battery life, so needless to say they are all history (and now my battery is good for around 29 hours). However, like others, I would like to have the find a phone feature that Lookout offered. So........how do I get Mobile Defense on my stock phone?

Also - to the people that love the lock screen on AntiVirus - there are apps out there that will do the same thing without running a useless AntiVirus andd sucking ALL your battery. Try Screen Suite or ICE. They both put alternate contact information on your lock screen, as well as emergency contact info. Screen Suite also offers the ability to switch to a battery status or clock screen. The minimul cost is worth the return you get with this app. And I didn't even mention the ultra-cool alien droid in a spaceship or sportscar slider you get!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mobile Defense is a Market app, although I just searched it and didn't see it there anymore, it can be aquired from the Mobile Defense site, while it is installed as a data/app it can track your phone only if your GPS is already on, if you push the same app into the system (root required) you can activate your GPS via the website and track your device and even lock it down, also when it is a system app the icon is hidden so the app would be difficult for would be theives to uninstall

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also it does nothing in the background unlike these virus/task killers, mobile defense is there only when you need it

I should be a spokesman :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@pcolevr

Remove Lookout, the Anti-Virus and especially the Task Killer and watch your battery life and performance soar!

All are not needed IMO.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
We should start a poll, I am sure it would be IMMO :)

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I am certainly not an expert on phones, but I will say that I have not lost any battery life since I downloaded lookout (running antivirus and find my phone). I stopped the antivirus bc it is not needed I understand. I have kept my find my phone feature bc mobile defense is not taking any new people.
I wonder if when they come out of beta testing if it will become a pay app for new users?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am certainly not an expert on phones, but I will say that I have not lost any battery life since I downloaded lookout (running antivirus and find my phone). I stopped the antivirus bc it is not needed I understand. I have kept my find my phone feature bc mobile defense is not taking any new people.
I wonder if when they come out of beta testing if it will become a pay app for new users?

I don't know, but I'm grateful that I got in when I did.

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
I had downloaded Lookout and TiKL and hadn't set them up or anything yet and my battery life took a dump so I unistalled Lookout. Not sure yet what to do about the TiKL.

I don't have a task killer, but I noticed today that a bunch of apps were running that I didn't think were (social networking etc. etc.) I turned a bunch of them off and it helped. How do I keep all the unnecessary BS from starting on it's own? I was thinking about downloading a Task Killer.

Last edited: