lookout app actually needed?

Flipp

Reaction score
i have the lookout app on my phone, but actually thinking about it, is it nessecary? i mean can our phone even get virus's? i havnt heard of one yet. correct me if im wrong...i just dont need a program on my phone taking up space if i dont need it.
-Flip

techguru

Reaction score
If you only download from the market, don't download the day something is released, and watch the permissions carefully, you probably don't need the virus scanning yet, but it is pretty low overhead, and also gives you the ability to track a lost or stolen phone, and it is free.

Alan

scarmack

Reaction score
virus? eh, highly doubt it. a bug? maybe. ive downloaded a couple of bad apps that made my phone do a couple crazy things and once i unistalled the apps it would work fine.

cypherx82

Reaction score
Well Norton is crap on the PC so I wouldn't trust it with my phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Well Norton is crap on the PC so I wouldn't trust it with my phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I think that is why they are doing it - is SO that we won't install it cause it really isn't needed...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I deleted lookout after months of use, I don't think it was doing anything, it would scan an app...after it installed, which is a little late, in fact lookout put out a news release not long ago about a study they were doing and how much personal information other applications were requiring from users and what I believe is, it would scan an app after it installed (defeating the antivirus purpose) and gain information from said scanned app and then use that information for their study, soon after I read the news release, I uninstalled the app...IMO Useless....and as far as tracking your device in case of loss or theft, Mobile Defense as a system/app works great

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is that still on the Market? I seem to have it, but I can't find the app in my app drawer.
If you have it installed as a system/app the icon gets hidden from your app drawer so would be thieves and criminals might not catch on so easy

Check in Root Explorer/system/app/mobiledefense.apk

On 2.2 you can also look in settings/manage applications/all and you should see the icon in the list

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is that still on the Market? I seem to have it, but I can't find the app in my app drawer.
If you have it installed as a system/app the icon gets hidden from your app drawer so would be thieves and criminals might not catch on so easy

Check in Root Explorer/system/app/mobiledefense.apk

On 2.2 you can also look in settings/manage applications/all and you should see the icon in the list

Thanks, I did find it there and in my Downloads. In Downloads I didn't have a "Open" option so what you said must be the reason for that.

Something interesting about Lookout. I get a weekly email and it said it handled a security incident on 8/2, but it won't tell me what it was.