Another Bionic that can't get a data connection... no 4G/3G/1X signal.. only wifi...

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I'm in Houston. And unless Verizon is having network problems (ala Comcast cable), my Bionic is now unable to get any data signal on Verizons OTA system.

Ya, I saw another thread, but I started a new one on purpose so that people can see if it's a growing problem instead of an isolated incident.

If no data signal by tomorrow morning, my 1st stop will be to the Verizon store to exchange it. I will raise holy hell if they try to charge me anything for it too.

I was hoping this phone was gonna kick ass... but with problems like this, it's practically at POS status in my book.

Reaction score
This is a reported issue with the phone. I only have 3G in my area, and the phone keeps dropping the data connection. It seems to be getting worse. Ive had mine since release day, and on release day I had no data for 3 hours...

Today I have had to toggle airplane mode a few times, and then the last time, I had to reboot the phone...

This is not related to any outage.

vachick

Reaction score
I'm in VA and don't even have 1x. (We don't have 4G here in VA Beach yet) I had to turn on wifi to get any service. :-/ this started late this afternoon. Fairly widespread apparently.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
Something is up with the data connection on this phone. My gf with her iphone 4 sitting right next to me... we don't get 4g, just 3g... gets great dl/upload speeds like a foot away from me. Mine is searching for 3g. 5 minutes no connection. And she just uploaded pictures and tagged me on fb. I love this phone... but damn.... my og droid got better reception.

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
im in the same boat im thinking of returning it and getting a new one but what if that has the same issue as the first thats the only issue with the phone i have now otherwise its rock solid no other issues

Mondingo

Reaction score
im in the same boat im thinking of returning it and getting a new one but what if that has the same issue as the first thats the only issue with the phone i have now otherwise its rock solid no other issues

Returning it for a new one won't make a difference. I did that already an same problem. I believe it's a software issue..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aarontsur

Reaction score
yep, im having the same issue, its a known problem with this phone and they say it would be fixed next software release. i would think that verizon would make that fix sooner than that, if we all are having problems with the connection wouldnt it be nice if they gave a $h1t about us and fix it like today?

aarontsur

Reaction score
i have 3 ideas to make our voice heard.

1. we all call verizon and demand to get credit for the data service until its fixed.
2. we all return the phone until its fixed.
3. we all make allot of noise about this on every blog site and on every forum. i want to hear about it on every news channel.

ranlaw

Reaction score
And another one!

Purchased yesterday. No connection today. Grrrrrr.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
i have 3 ideas to make our voice heard.

1. we all call verizon and demand to get credit for the data service until its fixed.
2. we all return the phone until its fixed.
3. we all make allot of noise about this on every blog site and on every forum. i want to hear about it on every news channel.

Maybe we're just holding it wrong :D

Batman8

Reaction score
I'm in Houston. And unless Verizon is having network problems (ala Comcast cable), my Bionic is now unable to get any data signal on Verizons OTA system.

Ya, I saw another thread, but I started a new one on purpose so that people can see if it's a growing problem instead of an isolated incident.

If no data signal by tomorrow morning, my 1st stop will be to the Verizon store to exchange it. I will raise holy hell if they try to charge me anything for it too.

I was hoping this phone was gonna kick ass... but with problems like this, it's practically at POS status in my book.

I had very similar issues with my Bionic losing ALL data signals (4G, 3G and 1x) and I finally found the reason behind it. When getting my Bionic, the first thing I did (besides rooting it of course) was to sign in with my Google account information and then start to restore all of my hundreds of apps from my Droid-X. Then I started losing my data signal and NOTHING would bring it back... not toggling wifi, airplane mode, bluetooth, even rebooting the phone didn't help. Talking to Verizon AND Motorola for over an hour didn't do any good since neither of them could fix the problem.

I then remembered what another Verizon technician told me a while back when having problems with my other Droids, and that was that "when upgrading to a new phone and having problems, DON'T RESTORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION/PROFILE when signing into your Google account on your new phone" because many times this information gets corrupted and restoring your profile by checking that box basically restores the errors too (sorry but I forget the actual name of this check box but it refers to your personal info, private data, profile or similar wording).

Therefore, the only way I was able to get my data signal back was to unfortunately perform a "factory data reset" and NOT restore my private data, and I have had a strong data signal all day everyday since then (which was last week). I often switch from 3G to 4G and really never even drop down to 1x anymore. I have restored my apps and all is working great!

I know that it can be a hassle to reset your phone because you'll have to put all of your apps/games back, but you do however still get all of you contacts, calendar events and everything back even without restoring your "personal data" and it was the ONLY way I was able to get past the crazy data loss issue. One more thing, when resetting the phone DO NOT select "erase internal storage" because for me that just caused the phone to sit there and hang therefore doing NOTHING forever, so ignore that check box too.

I hope this info helps all who are having data signal issues since it surely cleared mines up and allowed me to enjoy the phone again.

Good Luck.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I had very similar issues with my Bionic losing ALL data signals (4G, 3G and 1x) and I finally found the reason behind it. When getting my Bionic, the first thing I did (besides rooting it of course) was to sign in with my Google account information and then start to restore all of my hundreds of apps from my Droid-X. Then I started losing my data signal and NOTHING would bring it back... not toggling wifi, airplane mode, bluetooth, even rebooting the phone didn't help. Talking to Verizon AND Motorola for over an hour didn't do any good since neither of them could fix the problem.

I then remembered what another Verizon technician told me a while back when having problems with my other Droids, and that was that "when upgrading to a new phone and having problems, DON'T RESTORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION/PROFILE when signing into your Google account on your new phone" because many times this information gets corrupted and restoring your profile by checking that box basically restores the errors too (sorry but I forget the actual name of this check box but it refers to your personal info, private data, profile or similar wording).

Therefore, the only way I was able to get my data signal back was to unfortunately perform a "factory data reset" and NOT restore my private data, and I have had a strong data signal all day everyday since then (which was last week). I often switch from 3G to 4G and really never even drop down to 1x anymore. I have restored my apps and all is working great!

I know that it can be a hassle to reset your phone because you'll have to put all of your apps/games back, but you do however still get all of you contacts, calendar events and everything back even without restoring your "personal data" and it was the ONLY way I was able to get past the crazy data loss issue. One more thing, when resetting the phone DO NOT select "erase internal storage" because for me that just caused the phone to sit there and hang therefore doing NOTHING forever, so ignore that check box too.

I hope this info helps all who are having data signal issues since it surely cleared mines up and allowed me to enjoy the phone again.

Good Luck.

This MAY explain some other issues I've had...

I'll give it a try and report back.

jst4fun

Reaction score
Had same problem. I finally was able to return my phone and get a replacement. The new phone works perfect.