Another Bionic that can't get a data connection... no 4G/3G/1X signal.. only wifi...

scottd

Reaction score
Okay, I have been using my Bionic about a week and I have had many instances where the phone has lost data connection. I did a factory reset and as I was in the market installing my apps from scratch as to not import anything that may have been causing the issue, I lost the connection again. I lost data connectivity about 5 times and each time it lasted for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I continue to have connection issues and I have been wondering whether I should return the phone. When the connection gets lost, the 3G or 4G symbol goes away and just signal bars are present. Then the 3G or 4G comes back in white followed by blue. Sometimes a triangle will appear instead of the 3G/4G icon. I am in an area with excellent 3G coverage and fringe 4G coverage. My old Droid X never lost the data connection. Verizon needs to let people know what is going on with this situation or they may have an influx of Bionic returns. I still can't verify whether it is the phone or some software issue. My wife's phone is a Bionic and hers doesn't appear to lose the connection, but I haven't loaded hers up with apps and had it long enough to test it out. My connection gets lost whether I have it in CDMA only mode or CDMA/LTE mode. I switched to data roaming to see if that makes a difference but I doubt it. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? Is it affected by certain apps? How come only some people are having this issue? If I had to guess, I would say that it is an issue with the phone in areas where 4G is weak and 3G is strong. I just don't know whether I should return it to VZ, Try a new Bionic, or stick it out. There just doesn't seem to be much solid info on this matter anywhere. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

blwn327

Reaction score
Another lost data issue, I got mine on release and loaded it up with apps right away and not adding to many more which in all is maybe 30 and all popular apps. I was leaving it mostly on 3g unless i fealt like streaming something. A few days ago 3g started to get weaker switching to 1x and back, well yesterday wouldnt barely connect at all and this morning wouldnt. I called verizon and got tech and as above just have me pull battery/sim and they did a reset on their end and still nothing, then had me toggle airplane mode and data came back. I said thanx and half hr later doing same thing. Toggled airplane and 4g is back. This is bs to have to do this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jp.briggs

Reaction score
Well whatever the reason they need to get this fixed. I have this same issue (2nd Bionic now with it). I have this issue in places where I never had connection problems with my OG Droid. Also, I don't think it's a 4G <-> 3G issue. I have 4G turned off, and still lose connection. There's seemingly no rhyme or reason to it either. I'll have days where I don't lose it at all, then some days where every time I pick it up it's disconnected.

There was some though that it may be tied to the battery saver. Settings > Battery & data manager > Battery mode. It comes from the store on Nighttime saver. This "stops syncing data after 15 minutes of inactivity during off-peak hours (10:00 PM - 5:00 AM). Syncing resumes when you press any button."

I had thought maybe...just maybe there was some glitch where it was turning off sync even during peak hours. But now I have mine set to Performance mode which says "Device syncs without restriction" and I still have connection losses.

Incredibly frustrating for an otherwise awesome phone.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well whatever the reason they need to get this fixed. I have this same issue (2nd Bionic now with it). I have this issue in places where I never had connection problems with my OG Droid. Also, I don't think it's a 4G <-> 3G issue. I have 4G turned off, and still lose connection. There's seemingly no rhyme or reason to it either. I'll have days where I don't lose it at all, then some days where every time I pick it up it's disconnected.

There was some though that it may be tied to the battery saver. Settings > Battery & data manager > Battery mode. It comes from the store on Nighttime saver. This "stops syncing data after 15 minutes of inactivity during off-peak hours (10:00 PM - 5:00 AM). Syncing resumes when you press any button."

I had thought maybe...just maybe there was some glitch where it was turning off sync even during peak hours. But now I have mine set to Performance mode which says "Device syncs without restriction" and I still have connection losses.

Incredibly frustrating for an otherwise awesome phone.

See: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/174501-alright-bionic-owners-fixes-may-way.html

shawntew9935

Reaction score
Wondering if something else is wrong with my bionic, it has never gone to 1x, it will do 4g and 3g, I do experience the data loss, but it has never shown 1x even when my other verizon phone does, the bionic will only have the bars and no symbol and no data connection at all. If not on 3g or 4g, I have no data at all.

tommolog

Reaction score
Same here. I bounce between 3g & 4g all the time and lose data connection all the time. I got it on day 1 so only have 3 more days to return in the 30 day window. I think I'm going to return it and reactivate my original droid. I love the phone, but at least a couple times every day I can't get data signal. I was lost yesterday and needed to use navigation and the damn thing wouldn't connect. I have to pull over and do two battery pulls to get it to grab a signal. I sick of this sh!t.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Same here. I bounce between 3g & 4g all the time and lose data connection all the time. I got it on day 1 so only have 3 more days to return in the 30 day window. I think I'm going to return it and reactivate my original droid. I love the phone, but at least a couple times every day I can't get data signal. I was lost yesterday and needed to use navigation and the damn thing wouldn't connect. I have to pull over and do two battery pulls to get it to grab a signal. I sick of this sh!t.

If you read in the news section, there is a list of a bug that include the data loss, that will be included in a firmware update in early November.

tips2u2

Reaction score
No Connection Either in Central Florida......

I purchased the Bionic the first day it came out. After relating this problem to Verizon 8 times on the phone and gone to the store 5 times, I returned it within the 14 dayslimitation so I could get a refund. I was told each times that was the phone was the problem, not the software.
I went back to my Droid X for 2 weeks and decided to try another Bionic. This is my 3rd day and still having issues with No Connection.
In a way, I'm glad I'm not the only one! This means that Verizon and Motorola know about the problem and are working (hopefully) on a fix.... In the meantime, I agree, we should get credit for the Data Service Charge of $30/month until that problem is fixed. I am calling them right now and hope everyone with that issue does the same.... Let's get it "dunn!!"
---------------------------------------

I'm in Houston. And unless Verizon is having network problems (ala Comcast cable), my Bionic is now unable to get any data signal on Verizons OTA system.

Ya, I saw another thread, but I started a new one on purpose so that people can see if it's a growing problem instead of an isolated incident.

If no data signal by tomorrow morning, my 1st stop will be to the Verizon store to exchange it. I will raise holy hell if they try to charge me anything for it too.

I was hoping this phone was gonna kick ass... but with problems like this, it's practically at POS status in my book.

dB Zac

Reaction score
just got off the phone with Verizon, after a hard reset, two sim cards and a bunch of other things I still only have data for a few seconds then nothing. The tech said that no matter what he does, there system shows I have a thunderbolt on the line still. He is had the closest store (20 miles away) hold a new one for me but after reading this I am thinking the replacement may not fix the problem...what to do

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
just got off the phone with Verizon, after a hard reset, two sim cards and a bunch of other things I still only have data for a few seconds then nothing. The tech said that no matter what he does, there system shows I have a thunderbolt on the line still. He is had the closest store (20 miles away) hold a new one for me but after reading this I am thinking the replacement may not fix the problem...what to do

It's in the list of fixes that will be sent out in the OTA update in November. Why bother trying to fix something they know is wrong and are addressing?

npwiley

Reaction score
I have been having the same issue with not being able to get a data signal. Powering down does not work however pulling battery did do the trick for me.

rcl10801

Reaction score
Same disconnect issue. Toggle airplane mode or reboot to fix. Hope this gets resolved soon.

Reaction score
My Sim card replacement fix has stopped working. Issue its getting more frequent now as time goes on.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
My Sim card replacement fix has stopped working. Issue its getting more frequent now as time goes on.

I don't know why you are trying to fix something that cannot be fixed until the update in November, where the update will correct this issue.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't know why you are trying to fix something that cannot be fixed until the update in November, where the update will correct this issue.

Hope cannot die.