Final thoughts of decision: "bionic or razr?" the end.

B

bens42608

Ever since the RAZR came out my OCD has kicked in and I've been scouring the internet for articles/facts/problems/pros&cons to help lean me in one solid direction towards keeping my Bionic or switching to RAZR. I know bionic vs razr threads have been beat to death but I haven't found one yet that has helped me lean towards a final conclusion so I decided to create my own thread with this intention in mind. If someone is conflicted in choosing between these two amazing phones, I'd like them to be able to read this thread and have retained enough information to make their own sound decision appropriate to them specifically. I understand that both phones are extremely similar but I am looking for people whom have a direct opinion one over the other and solid reasoning behind it. I have leaned towards DROID Bionic for the following reasons

* I feel that the bionic was created with the intentions of creating the best possible smartphone with the highest performance standards while razr is a bionic that Motorola took and said what can we sacrifice to make the worlds thinnest smartphone and boost our rep.

*Screen; highly controversial. I have compared them side by side and although razr makes you say wow at first, it is because colors are oversaturated, unrealistic, cartoonish, and I don't care what anyone says there is definitely an obvious green tint. The bionic on the other hand has colors that may not not seem to make you say wow but this is because they are true to life, not tinted, and not exaggerated. Most of all though, the razr couldn't have a backlit screen because it'd be too thick but my lcd on my bionic is way brighter and is literally the best phone to see out in the sunlight that I have ever experienced. Also, the razr screen has a huge weakness over bionic when it comes to the color white. Bionic has her own white pixel while razr's is so bad that they specifically avoided white colors by specifically changing the keyboard to have black keys which I find harder to see than my big, bright, white one. I believe the notification bar is black as well but don't quote me on this as I may have forgotten. I love the blue on my bionic. Also, one of the main issues in the razr support forums is a problem with the amoled displays having blotchy spots(this is not just a razr problem but virtually every phone with one of these screens)

NOTE: I just downloaded a new HD wallpaper of a $2 bill and it's effin amazing on this screen. If everyone who says the bionic screen is crap could have this in front of them when saying it; they would sound like fools. U can see down to the tiny little hair things in the bill stunningly and the clarity of the whiteness is something the razr could never pull off without the white pixel, backlight and true-to-reality colors. It is literally my favorite wallpaper I've ever had and it is amazingly beautiful on this big screen.

*Speed; this didnt play a factor in my decision because both have the same processor! Razr was just overclocked by 0.2 gigahertz in order to look like Motorola made an improvement rather than just sacrificing things and getting skinnier. Both are blazing fast.

*Size; similar but Bionic feels much more comfortable in the hand especially when typing and using the phone one-handedly. Razr may be skinnier but it is both wider and longer. The phone looks like a huge tablet. While it wouldn't be too big if most of it was screen, the screen looks lost inside of the large border or empty black space around it. The screen sizes are identical but bionic's looks bigger and better because it's not lost inside a huge black border.

*Design; razr is held together by "copious amounts of adhesive" while bionic is held together by at least 11 torx screws. Also, think of giant supercomputers... temperature is an extremely important factor and they must be kept cool. It makes me feel better that there is still room for air pockets to circulate thru my phone. In the razr, there is virtually no empty space for air. Also, I love the gunmetal design around the border. It looks extremely classy sitting in front of me on the table in the study room on campus. Razr is simple and elegant, yet simple is the more defining adjective unfortunately. Its very bare. A raw phone with all the fat trimmed off.

*temperature ; my bionic barely gets warm at all. My D1 got wayyyy hotter. The razr after a few minutes of normal use was like grabbing a cookie sheet out the oven with no gloves. That just cannot be healthy.

*Battery; I was worried about this for my first couple days but after the. 893 update my bionic lasts all day long and keeps a perfect connection 3g and 4g alike although I keep 4g off until I need it. I was scared to switch to razr because while my bionic's battery issues were solved, razr has no. 893 update and sucks from what I've read unless the person barely uses it. The rest goes without saying. The obvious benefits of being able to remove the battery. I don't trust software buttons to keep me confident that if my phone freezes I can shut it down. If my OG D1 didn't have a removable battery, it would have been a useless pos for the amount of times I had to battery pull. Plus, one of my biggest dreams is that engineers will focus on better batteries next instead of more powerful phones to sit dead in our pockets. If these are ever developed, ill be able to put one in my bionic.

UPDATE: I just got an extended battery and wow what a difference. This was the last tip of the scale for me between razr n bionic. I have virtually unlimited power now and I can leave 4g on all day. All the performance power you can handle and now it has enough battery power to be used as much as I want with no restrictions. Razr is dead sexy but I wouldn't even have to consider trading anymore if I was asked. Bionic is the winner in my opinion, hand down. I admit it might not be as pretty but all this power is irrelevant when it is dead in your pocket. I haven't been able to run this battery dead yet and when I do, I still have my stock one to pop in. This was the biggest deciding factor to me and the only thing that was able to calm my ocd. Razr, your a sexy piece of hardware but my love lies with another..

P.s. - I obviously reached a conclusion based on my preferences but this thread is asking which phone you prefer and why. It's not just for bionic fans. If you like razr better that's cool just please explain why.

*Data issues; highly exaggerated by people(I am not saying no problem exists, I just think it is unfair how much people rag on the bionic for this and use it as an argument against razr when in the razr support forums this seems to be an issue there as well). I have 0 data issues and razr seems to have equally the same network problems because the phone is most likely not the problem. There's alot of load on the fairly new 4g babies still. I don't experience any bugs with this phone but maybe I got lucky with an almost perfect bionic in an area with good coverage. It works excellently and that's the truth.

*****UPDATE*******
THIS IS WHY YOUR 4G VERIZON PHONE LOSES ITS DATA CONNECTION

http://www.androplex.com/12/19/this-is-why-your-verizon-galaxy-nexus-or-other-4g-lte-vzw-phone-is-losing-its-data-connection/

READ::::

*camera; too similar for me to care. This is primarily a phone. If you're a photographer that cares about a couple milliseconds between shots then maybe you should've bought a professional camera and not a phone ;) .

Thank you for taking the time to read this huge post and please add whatever you can to help people have more reasons as to the decision they made of which celly to buy!
THANKZ!!! holy **** that took a long ass time to type haha. There's prolly stuff I forgot but oh well. Peace to all.

NOTE: Btw I love my bionic but I wish I could have both! Then I could really be sure. I like the sexiness of the razr and the fact that it's on all the commercials. - my cousin just called me and asked which new DROID I got... "is it the razr? I just saw the commercial and they said that thing has Kevlar like bulletproof vests! ... " Even though I like bionic better, its hard when the average people just know what they see on the commercial. Kinda like when I got my OG D1 and everyone kept asking me if I got an iPhone because that's what was in the media and the average person didn't know what a DROID was yet. But like someone said, it is not about what other people think is cool it's about which phone runs the best 4 each person.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

bens42608

well said.
still loving my Bionic!

Thanks! U replied very quickly. I just created this thread. That's what I was wishing to see! I just started using droid forums a day or two ago.

OP
B

bens42608

May I ask why?

markwebb

Reaction score
May I ask why?

Probably wants the latest and maybe greatest, though I give Bionic equal marks in those categories except for the form factor. :)

OP
B

bens42608

To each their own. Which is what this thread is for. To help everyone make their final decision of which one is the greatest phone.

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
I will say the data isn't entirely exaggerated. If you haven't had problems, that's cool! But a lot of us have. HOWEVER, it's not the end of the world and it certainly doesn't make Razr a better phone. I agree with everything else you said and especially appreciated the camera part. People expect the phone to be the best of everything, and it simply wont ever be possible. Even if the camera WAS somehow able to be made comparable to a professional camera, you'd still have natural lighting issues and too many buttons and things and then people would complain about that. Technology is an adventure and not a destination, and this is a pretty freaking sweet part of the adventure.

Husker_fan_

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.....I think alot of the negativity the bionic gets is from buyers remorse. Alot of people went and used an upgrade to get this phone then a few weeks later found out the razr was coming out. Lots easier to justify paying full price for it when you really "hate" the one you have, and convince yourself its worth the money. I've had some data issues with mine, but I've seen alot of talk with new razr owners saying the same. Hardware isn't different enough to matter to me. Software may make the razr "feel" faster and look cleaner, but again its software. I think the real story will be told when both phones have ics. In the grand scheme of things, next year this time both phones will be old and slow lol. Till then we wait till the nexus comes out and they start talking the razr down and saying its junk and forget about the bionic!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

nateohio

Reaction score
Well, it sounds to me like you have already made up your mind! That post was almost entirely PRO-Bionic!

OP
B

bens42608

Just my 2 cents.....I think alot of the negativity the bionic gets is from buyers remorse. Alot of people went and used an upgrade to get this phone then a few weeks later found out the razr was coming out. Lots easier to justify paying full price for it when you really "hate" the one you have, and convince yourself its worth the money. I've had some data issues with mine, but I've seen alot of talk with new razr owners saying the same. Hardware isn't different enough to matter to me. Software may make the razr "feel" faster and look cleaner, but again its software. I think the real story will be told when both phones have ics. In the grand scheme of things, next year this time both phones will be old and slow lol. Till then we wait till the nexus comes out and they start talking the razr down and saying its junk and forget about the bionic!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

+1 Well said. Couldn't of said it better myself