Solved Android Thinks There's an SD Card (There's Not!)

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I agree, it is beginning to look like a card issue.

did you try deleting the partition (format) yet then let the phone format it.

OP
Klif

Klif

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 3rd Generation
I agree, it is beginning to look like a card issue.

did you try deleting the partition (format) yet then let the phone format it.
uhhhhh i'm not quite sure what you mean by delete the partition. I have formatted it in windows, yes, but android won't give me the option to format.

OP
Klif

Klif

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 3rd Generation
rereading your original post...you may want to do a chkdsk to make sure it is good. insert the card into the slot on the computer.. Enter the following command: chkdsk [sd card drive letter]: /r

if okay, remove the format in disk management. see the following steps copied from motos website
  • Insert the card in the device
  • You should see a “Set Up SD card” Notification
  • Tap on ‘setup SD card’ in the insertion notification (or go to settings->storage->select card-> menu->format as internal)
  • Select the ‘internal storage’ option, after have carefully read the warning

I gave you the steps to delete and format in a previous post.

Whoops! Sorry!

Yeah, I've tried reformatting with Windows, and it gives an immediate error on quick format. Slow format takes a while and then an error.

Now, I've gone to disc management and deleted the volume entirely. And I'll stick it in my phone, see what happens.

OP
Klif

Klif

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 3rd Generation
Put it in my phone, "Checking for errors" notification. Then, nothing. Went to settings, all sd options are grayed out.

OP
Klif

Klif

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 3rd Generation
Assuming there's a bad spot on the card. Can I split it into two drives on my windows computer, and maybe one of them will show up on the phone? I can use it?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Assuming there's a bad spot on the card. Can I split it into two drives on my windows computer, and maybe one of them will show up on the phone? I can use it?

nope, bad spots make it undependable. they tend to grow. besides, sd cards work a bit differently than regular harddrives.

OP
Klif

Klif

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 3rd Generation
sweet. looks like we've found a solution -- bad SD card. not the solution I wanted, but it's something.

Thanks for your help, @me just sayin and @Sajo !

XavierBlack

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy §² Hercules
Once I had the exact same issue in my S5..weird because the only thing that was able to read that damaged and malicious external sd card was my spear S2 so I was able to back everything up through it..but I didn't take a whole year to figure that out and drive my self to the MacroCenter and buy a brand new one..but the exact brand I had (Samsung)..for some reason my S5 doesn't like any other brand...that was the solution.