SD card stuck on "Preparing SD Card - Checking for errors."

$mitty

Reaction score
I'm running DroidMod 1.0 with SetCPU at 800mhz and it's been perfectly fine about 99% of the time for a couple months now. Today I was using my Droid quite a bit while working, mostly a lot of phone calls and emails. I started getting random restarts when answering/making phone calls this afternoon. After about the 3rd time it happened, the "Preparing SD Card, Checking for errors" thing in the notification bar (usually goes away after 5 or 10 seconds) never went away and I can't access my SD card. I've tried restarting, battery pull, SD card pull, etc and nothing works. Can't mount it on my computer, can access anything on it, can't reformat it, nothing. Thought I'd try flashing DroidMod 1.0, but I can't do that b/c it says there's no SD card mounted or something.

HELP PLEASE!

Last edited:

droidman101

Reaction score
I'm running DroidMod 1.0 with SetCPU at 800mhz and it's been perfectly fine about 99% of the time for a couple months now. Today I was using my Droid quite a bit while working, mostly a lot of phone calls and emails. I started getting random restarts when answering/making phone calls this afternoon. After after about the 3rd time it happened, the "Preparing SD Card, Checking for errors" thing in the notification bar (usually goes away after 5 or 10 seconds) never went away and I can't access my SD card. I've tried restarting, battery pull, SD card pull, etc and nothing works. Can't mount it on my computer, can access anything on it, can't reformat it, nothing. Thought I'd try flashing DroidMod 1.0, but I can't do that b/c it says there's no SD card mounted or something.

HELP PLEASE!

Ok first we need to see if it actually is mounted or no so on home screenhit menu->settings->sdcard and phone storage
see if your sdcard is mounted by scrolling down to unmount sdcard. Choose it and hit ok. Then choose mount sdcard and see if it solves your problem

OP
$mitty

$mitty

Reaction score
Total Space - unavailable

Available space - unavailable

Unmount SD card and Format SD card are grayed out so I can't use them.

OP
$mitty

$mitty

Reaction score
It's the SD card that came with the phone. I've never had more than about 9 or 10 gigs used up on it with music, pictures and some video/movies. Going to suck if I lose the pics/videos I've taken and recorded on it!!

OP
$mitty

$mitty

Reaction score
So any other opinions other than the SD card is bad? Any way I could try to get the files off of it if my phone won't read it? Gotta be somebody out there that's had this happen to them before...

jatx2wne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
boot to recovery then hook to pc then go too enable mass storage you should hopefully new able too then see your files

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jatx2wne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
After you've done this if you can see the files you can try to copy whatever is not corrupt to your pc....then you have to format it from the pc just right click on that drive and format

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
$mitty

$mitty

Reaction score
Someone want to remind me how to boot to recovery? I've only done it once and that was a few months ago, the first time I did SholesMod.