Dang...my phone has deleted everything from my SD card!!! HELP!!

jrich11

Reaction score
My phone just randomly showed a message today that "SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem." I've tried to connect the phone to my computer but I think it's having trouble recognizing the phone without the SD card because it won't let me open that drive.

I have the option to format the SD card...should I? I know that will erase everything, but I might be able to then connect to my computer and use my recovery program to find the pictures, videos, and recordings.

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!! I had 250+ pictures!!! :(

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This happens occasionally. If you take your SD card out of the phone and attach it using a USB device directly to your computer, will usually show everything saved to the SD card. Take the time and back it up completely into a folder on your computer. After you VERIFY everything was copied over to the computer, then format the SD card, put it back into your phone and then move your items back to your SD card. You should be good to go.

Lastly, I had to edit the title of your new thread. Please do not avoid the swear filter, we are a family friendly site here.

OP
J

jrich11

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I will have to buy an adapter so I can use the card with my computer. It is a "micro" card.

And I wasn't intentionally trying to avoid a swear filter...didn't even know the forum had such a thing. Just needed to express how upset I was that all my pics were gone!!!!!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I will have to buy an adapter so I can use the card with my computer. It is a "micro" card.

And I wasn't intentionally trying to avoid a swear filter...didn't even know the forum had such a thing. Just needed to express how upset I was that all my pics were gone!!!!!
I certainly understand. I see you're a new user and wanted to both help you out with what I've been through with this situation, and also kindly let you know that we have to edit posts that uses a way of getting across swearing.

What I said isn't 100% sure it's going to work, maybe the SD card really is bad, but I had this happen about 4 times on my Droid, and just last night I had to do this to my Thunderbolt. Good luck. Just don't in haste reformat the card just yet. You might be able to retrieve those pictures.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I have found they can become corrupted easily, especially if you disconnect it from windows without using the safely remove hardware option first. Also, most Droid Xs ship with crappy cheap cards, so it may be a failed card. I had mine fail after about 6 months.

That said, if you connect it to the computer you may be able to recover just by browsing files, but you may need to use recovery software if it is too corrupted. There is no guarantee it will even be recoverable at all though.