Android Os taking up ALOT of battery

TheElements

Reaction score
I don't know why but recently before and after rooting, my android os has been taking up almost 30-40% of my battery. I then decided to install steel droid but to make matters worse it only made my battery hotter and drain quicker as now phone idle and cell standby have been taking up around 10% battery each. Is this a problem with my current applications? Or another problem? I've been looking around everywhere but there weren't any real solution to this. I am NOT using an extended battery and my phone's model is the Droid 3.
thanks for the help

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know why but recently before and after rooting, my android os has been taking up almost 30-40% of my battery. I then decided to install steel droid but to make matters worse it only made my battery hotter and drain quicker as now phone idle and cell standby have been taking up around 10% battery each. Is this a problem with my current applications? Or another problem? I've been looking around everywhere but there weren't any real solution to this. I am NOT using an extended battery and my phone's model is the Droid 3.
thanks for the help

You have something running wild. I would do a Factory Hard Reset. Drastic? Yes, but your problem is pretty dramatic. On my Bionic it Android OS is running 3.0%.

OP
T

TheElements

Reaction score
Thanks for the help it seems to be working for now however i see this problem for many other different phones is there any specific reason that this happens? I'm curious because i don't want it happening again

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the help it seems to be working for now however i see this problem for many other different phones is there any specific reason that this happens? I'm curious because i don't want it happening again

I think there are numerous things that can influenced by and individual phone's hardware, a rouge app, an odd combination of apps. Who knows? I did see one good way to pursue the issue and that was to install an app named Android System Info. That app will look at individual apps and systems that are using cpu cycles. In the case I saw, it showed that a particular part of android (I sure don't recall the name now) was using 70-80% of the available cpu cycles. It was causing the person's phone to be sluggish and burn through the battery. No solution was known and a Hard Reset did fix the problem. I don't think there is a way to avoid it. It happens and you either reinstall the rom or reset if stock.

Good luck.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've had good luck with the D3 so far -- the only exception was running Widget Lockscreen for a day or two, and the phone heated up and the battery drained in a few hours (a thread on that suggests the dev has fixed the problem). As a result, I moved from the free to the paid version of System Panel, which helps with tracking resource use over a week.

But more to the point, I want to second what BayouFlyFisher noted: in particular, having owned the Viewsonic gTab -- and having rooted and reinstalled ROMs on it dozens of times -- I can attest that there are all kinds of subtle ways that apps can misbehave. Those rogue apps that are poorly coded. Stale cache data in the Dalvik cache. Odd interactions between apps trying to use the same resources.

At the moment we own 2 D3's and typically come home each day with 70%-80% battery. Admittedly we don't use them all day, but even with occasional email and web I don't think we've ever finished the day near 50%. I'm not sure if that's typical or freaky for the D3, but the one time I saw a rapid drop (Widget Lockscreen) it was obvious that something was using resources too fast.

If the cause of the problem isn't obvious, what I learned from wiping the gTab over and over is that a factory reset and starting as clean as possible is a good strategy. Definitely the best approach to figure out if it's software or hardware, and if software, who the culprit is!

-Matt

OP
T

TheElements

Reaction score
I think this might be a hardware issue but im not sure i factory reset (had to activate my phone again) and then android os went up to around 8% which was fine, then i forgot to turn off automatic backup so i had to factory reset again and now android os is back up to 20%

OP
T

TheElements

Reaction score
Okay i figured out a trend, everytime i leave my phone idle the android os goes up extremely high and cell standby goes up as well (obviously) but when im using it the android os stays around 4-5%. Any tips here? its not an application i know this for sure now since i unrooted, clean factory reset, sbf'd and then rooted my phone again.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Some of the problem here is the percentages. Its not using 20% of your battery. If you have 90% left its used 20% of the 10% that's drained so far. When its idle Android OS and phone idle are going to be the only things running and therefore using your battery more than things that only run when you're using it. How long is your battery lasting?? Are you getting 5-6hrs or 10-12hrs?

LLR0717

LT*

Reaction score
I agree, I have extremely high Android OS % (usually >30%) but I still end my 18 or so hour day with 30% left. I figure something has to use the battery, and I'm getting better battery life overall than when Cell Standby was at 40%.

OP
T

TheElements

Reaction score
when i put my phone on airplane mode and went to sleep last night around 5 hours battery android os is only at 14% and phone idle is at 72% but i only lost around 10% battery

tman_c45

Reaction score
I too am having the high battery usage with android os...I've read a good deal of stuff to try (check wifi sleep settings, clearing cache, etc...) and it's not any better. the process does seem to use a little less when I'm home connected to my wifi, but still is the top consuming process.

Any solutions other than a hard reset?

doogald

Reaction score
Do you have many/any home screen widgets that get data from the internet somehow? How about live wallpaper?

tman_c45

Reaction score
the power control and the google search are the only two widgets I have. No live wallpaper.. it's black for the most part.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
As a rule, the display should be the biggest battery consumer, unless you're talking on the phone a lot or listening to music/watching movies (maybe the display would still show up as the biggest consumer if you were watching movies, though). I don't think Android OS has ever been my phone's biggest probleml

When you check your running services, what's in that list?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: