Battery Life?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I was talking with a friend about the WIFI sleep policy yesterday. By default I think it is set to "turn off WIFI when screen is off", which is probably a good way to have it set. However, if you open up the DLNA app it will put up a somewhat cryptic dialog box about "never turning off wifi for better DLNA performance". If you press OK I think it changes your WIFI sleep policy to "Never". I would change it back to the default--could save some power.

Personally I wouldn't want WIFI at all if I had to turn it off when the screen is off. Part of the deal here is that WIFI is faster and more efficient. If I have to download updates etc and have WIFI available, it is generally better to use WIFI. If however I have to keep the screen on in order to keep the downloads working, then there is an added cost. What would be a smarter approach IMHO is if the radio would cease trying to connect if there isn't a network I've approved available after X amount of time. It can pop up every X minutes and check again, but if no network, it should shut down. This is essentially what Juice Defender professes to do, though it also professes to have location/learning based means to turn the network on.

So while it may save some battery if you set it to turn off when the screen is off, you might as well never turn it on as far as I'm concerned.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I've always had really good battery life but the last two day its much worse. Ive changed nothing so I don't get it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

If you chose to set global to CDMA in settings rather than pulling the SIM card, check the settings.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't want WIFI at all if I had to turn it off when the screen is off. Part of the deal here is that WIFI is faster and more efficient. If I have to download updates etc and have WIFI available, it is generally better to use WIFI. If however I have to keep the screen on in order to keep the downloads working, then there is an added cost. What would be a smarter approach IMHO is if the radio would cease trying to connect if there isn't a network I've approved available after X amount of time. It can pop up every X minutes and check again, but if no network, it should shut down. This is essentially what Juice Defender professes to do, though it also professes to have location/learning based means to turn the network on.

So while it may save some battery if you set it to turn off when the screen is off, you might as well never turn it on as far as I'm concerned.

It all depends how you use your phone and where you have WIFI availability. I leave WIFI toggled on all the time. I noticed that if I do that and have the sleep policy set to "Never" it seems to have a negative impact on the battery. I don't have a lot of data moving around when my screen is off. I use most of my data browsing with the screen on. That being said, when I download a Howard Stern Show MP3 every morning I try to be on WIFI. When the screen goes off, I believe that the current downloads continue to keep the WIFI active.

Still, what is good for one person may not work well for another. I'm just saying that one setting that people might want to mess with is the WIFI sleep policy. By default it is set to "turn off when the screen turns off" but as I mentioned the DLNA app pops up a dialog that says something to the effect of "turn wifi sleep policy to never? It may negatively impact battery". People might be changing their sleep policy to "Never" without knowing it. YMMV.

Riley

Reaction score
If you chose to set global to CDMA in settings rather than pulling the SIM card, check the settings.

I set mine to cdma since I've had the phone and I still am getting 45% of my battery use is cell standby. I've updated my prl twice and done all the other tricks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Jeeper_Slick

Reaction score
After using the Bloat Freezer on my Rooted D3, my battery life jumped significantly. When my battery hit 15%, it had been running for 16 hours. That was one of a cheap 1500 Chinese battery.

Ragnell

Reaction score
I got my Replacement phone and yea, it WAS my phone, Did abit of medium to light useage and got 17hrs at 45%, Mostly making Phone calls and re-installing apps, Left it on overnight as well with wifi on, MUCH happier now

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Someone mentioned sometime back that they had done a factory reset and their battery got worse. Thats were I am at the moment--a 20% drop. Might just have to try another reset.

And before anyone says it, yes I know I can root and freeze the bloat to save battery.

dracos

Reaction score
After rooting and freezing some apps, 27 hours later and the droid 3 is at 30% battery life, with bluetooth streaming and moderate use.

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I want to root, but am very unfamiliar with the process, and I do not know anyone who has done it. I used to think I was technologically savvy, but not so much anymore.

Reaction score
The one click root is very easy but if your not comfortable doing it then wait for someone to make an app that will do it which might happen. But it is easy. Im the same way and I was not about to do the first meathod of rooting because I don't k ow anything about using adb shell. But the on click took all of 15 min from downloading the stuff to my computer and downloading a zip program to final root.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
It is best to wait until they have the means to unbrick your phone just in case. That shouldn't be long since someone over at XDA has managed to snag a development version of an update. The one click is easy enough and the odds of bricking are slim, but if you have any phone problems, you can forget Verizon's name--they will not help. Though there is presumably a way to unroot, I don't know if someone has taken a phone back to Verizon after unrooting.

BTW, I had 73% night before last and yesterday I had 83%. Both of those were checked later than my standard (8pm Pacific Time). I am certain the 83% is due to a new PRL.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My battery so far with pretty heavy usage minus leaving it on over night. 27% left
ht5j5x.jpg

dsmusicbox

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. My battery life seems to be better with JD for the time being - at least I am getting a full day out of my battery now, and hopefully I can eventually take the rooting plunge and have even better battery life. :)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. My battery life seems to be better with JD for the time being - at least I am getting a full day out of my battery now, and hopefully I can eventually take the rooting plunge and have even better battery life. :)

Root is awesome, but about the only safe thing you can do is freeze bloatware. Until an sbf file is released, that's really the only safe thing.

random rom'd X

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
Updated to the leak, rooted and froze the bloat, off charger since 7:00 am at 94%.

The leak seems to have fixed the standby and idle issues. If you have the means and know what you're doing installing the "leaked" update will fix a lot of battery related issues.