Battery Life?

Fr33dom

Reaction score
67%. Thats pretty cheap for facebook sync. On top of that I noticed that the settings had reverted to global. I'd bet this happened during the numerous reboots that GPS forced me through during my trip. I'll revert that and put facebook sync back and remove one of the gmail accounts.

75%. I really didn't think removing the sync for one of the gmail accounts would add-up to anything. This is the same percentage I got back when I tested Smooth Calendar (Just before my trip). I would expect the cost of syncing a second account to be negligible. Most of the cost would be eaten-up by the original sync.; Adding corporate sync was so expensive because it was another application syncing something. If I can add both my gmail accounts to it then perhaps I can tell if one app is more efficient than the other, but I would bet that syncing with the corporate email would still eat a bit of battery since it involves a different set of servers.

All of this gets pretty academic and I am getting tired of not using my phone as I wish for fear that it will skew the results. I would be happy if I got 70% with WIFI and Bluetooth on all day. So next week I'll test those individually and then together. That will be the end of this little exercise.

And for those who don't understand what I've been doing and so have suggested I do a factory reset or load Juice Defender, you really ought to read through my posts to this thread. The easy way is to click on my name to the left. I probably will do a factory reset at the end of it all just out of curiosity, and I will probably give JD a try on this phone since I did buy it for my last one, but my intent was to prove or disprove all the suggestions that were made.

I intend to roll all this up next week with all I have discovered. I don't expect that what I experience is the same for everyone--there is more than one reason for high battery use. I do think something is going on with the phone's radio, though I am not so sure that problem is necessarily exposed by the battery statistics everyone has been posting. Everyone is not necessarily spending a significant portion of their day in a low signal area, and those that do probably use more battery during idle. So if you are like me, your top two changes for the most impact are turning off global (and that is best done by removing the SIM card since the settings seem to revert at times) and setting a custom battery saver to cover the times you are in low signal. I'd also recommend that you leave the phone plugged in while you're asleep.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whenever I've purchased a phone it says "charge fully before first use."

To me, that means take it out of the box put the battery in, connect the wall charger and turn it on. Wait until its fully charged then activate and fool with it.

Its what I've always done and although its EXTREMELY difficult not to go play with the stupid thing it seems to have worked for the better for me in the long run.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gdgnj

Reaction score

To me, that means take it out of the box put the battery in, connect the wall charger and turn it on. Wait until its fully charged then activate and fool with it.

Its what I've always done and although its EXTREMELY difficult not to go play with the stupid thing it seems to have worked for the better for me in the long run.

Guess I should have done that. I hope I didn't screw myself.

LT*

Reaction score

+1 I hate not being able to play with it right out of the box, but I have had fairly good battery life on both Mine and my wife's D3s doing this.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Meh.. I should have read that first. >.> Well, good thing I'm getting good battery life now I suppose.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I don't think it's a big deal to run it down first.

WIFI sleep policy seems to be set to "never". I always thought "sleep when screen is off" was better. That was how the original Droid came set. To check go to WIFI settings and hit the menu button then advanced > wifi sleep policy.

alboboy10

Reaction score
8 hours 54 minutes at 15%.

53 minutes of gps with maps.
3 hours and 4 minutes of display on.
8 minutes of cut the rope game.

Thunderbolt. Not bad battery life considering the amount of use.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I don't think it's a big deal to run it down first.

While it probably will not do any damage, battery university still says to top it off first.

There is a bit of potential confusion about the recommendation to fully discharge and then recharge the battery. There are two actors involved in presenting information on charge state and Battery University speaks to the logic built into the battery. It is probably not useful to discharge the battery to reset the batteries logic when it is brand new and BU suggests not doing it all that often.

The other actor is Android's batterystats.bin file. I don't know where to find information in batterystats.bin with the presumed veracity of BU, but there is lots of information that one could easily assume is correct So what I say here is said with that disclaimer.

1. If you turn your phone on without fully charging or fail to top off before using your phone, you are likely not telling Android what your current phone's full charge state really is.
2. One full discharge cycle is needed to tell Android where the end of your battery really is.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
75%. I don't think removing the sync for one of the gmail accounts added-up to anything. This is the same percentage I got back when I tested Smooth Calendar (Just before my trip). I would expect the cost of syncing a second account to be negligible. Most of the cost would be eaten-up by the original sync. Adding corporate sync was so expensive because it was another application syncing something. If I can add both my Gmail accounts to it then perhaps I can tell if one app is more efficient than the other, but I would bet that syncing with the corporate email would still eat a bit of battery since it involves a different set of servers.

All of this gets pretty academic and I am getting tired of not using my phone as I wish for fear that it will skew the results. I would be happy if I got 70% with WIFI and Bluetooth on all day. So next week I'll test those individually and then together. That will be the end of this little exercise.

And for those who don't understand what I've been doing and so have suggested I do a factory reset or load Juice Defender, you really ought to read through my posts to this thread. The easy way is to click on my name to the left. I probably will do a factory reset at the end of it all just out of curiosity, and I will probably give JD a try on this phone since I did buy it for my last one, but my intent was to prove or disprove all the suggestions that were made.

I intend to roll all this up next week with all I have discovered. I don't expect that what I experience is the same for everyone--there is more than one reason for high battery use. I do think something is going on with the phone's radio, though I am not so sure that is exposed by the battery statistics everyone has been posting. Everyone is not necessarily spending a significant portion of their day in a low signal area, and those that do probably use more battery during idle. So if you are like me, your top two changes for the most impact are turning off global (and that is best done by removing the SIM card since the settings seem to revert at times) and setting a custom battery saver to cover the times you are in low signal. I'd also recommend that you leave the phone plugged in while you're asleep.

64% with WIFI on all day.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I was talking with a friend about the WIFI sleep policy yesterday. By default I think it is set to "turn off WIFI when screen is off", which is probably a good way to have it set. However, if you open up the DLNA app it will put up a somewhat cryptic dialog box about "never turning off wifi for better DLNA performance". If you press OK I think it changes your WIFI sleep policy to "Never". I would change it back to the default--could save some power.

Riley

Reaction score
Mine has gone from a normal use day of medium use i would get around 16+ hours or more on battery with 15-20% left.

All of a sudden in the last day or so I like right now have 50% left after 4 hours of moderate use and my cell standby is always around 45%.

I always have a great signal and 3G

makes no sense to me.

Maybe I should so a factory reset?

Reaction score
Mine has gone from a normal use day of medium use i would get around 16+ hours or more on battery with 15-20% left.

All of a sudden in the last day or so I like right now have 50% left after 4 hours of moderate use and my cell standby is always around 45%.

I always have a great signal and 3G

makes no sense to me.

Maybe I should so a factory reset?

Mine is doing the same thing. I've always had really good battery life but the last two day its much worse. Ive changed nothing so I don't get it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

MECHANO

Reaction score
I unplugged @ 5:15 am this morning. I've had two, fifteen to thirty minute conversations, some light texting, 15-20 emails, and about 45 minutes worth of browsing. It is currently 7:16 pm and I am at 30-40%.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited: