Battery life was great, now it stinks

drysdan

Reaction score
I've had my D3 for about 3 weeks now, and for the first 2.5, I could go all day on my battery and still have a lot left at the end of the day (50-70% remaining, usually).

Suddenly, a few days ago, my battery died at around 1pm, and the phone shut off. The next day it drained almost as fast. I've noticed the phone being a bit warm in my pocket, and the battery is losing about 10% per hour, just idling in my pocket for most of that time.

I've checked the battery stats, and there's no runaway processes. As most have noticed, the vast majority of usage is by 'cell standby' and 'phone idle.'

I'm not in a low signal area, and I haven't changed my location or phone habits from the first few weeks I had the phone.

I thought maybe my batterystats were just getting skewed by me charging the phone every night, but for 3 days in a row now I've had to let it drain fully, then recharge, so that should help correct for that, yeah?

Any ideas on why I have the sudden change in battery life??

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Battery stats wont tell you if there's a runaway app. Check running services under manage apps. See if something there is running that shouldn't be.

On the down side it could be a bad battery, or something with the phone.

end of line...

OP
D

drysdan

Reaction score
Battery stats wont tell you if there's a runaway app. Check running services under manage apps. See if something there is running that shouldn't be.

On the down side it could be a bad battery, or something with the phone.

end of line...

Didn't think of looking there, but I have checked a couple times using the preloaded Task Manager app that Moto/Verizon put on there, and nothing seemed to be using any serious amount of cpu or ram. But I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can pinpoint anything... Hope it's something that simple.

Thanks for the feedback.

Stevelord

Reaction score
Mine seemed to drain quite fast the last 2 days. It was the first time I can remember seeing the battery meter turn orange.

I'll keep an eye on that.........

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

djspy

Reaction score
Uninstall the task manager.

If the battery is bad go to a Verizon store and have it replaced. You have one year warranty on it.

pistacio

Reaction score
Uninstall the task manager.

If the battery is bad go to a Verizon store and have it replaced. You have one year warranty on it.

I think he's referring to the un-installable stock task manager.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

xaelith

Reaction score
Another thing to consider...

On my D1, I used to set all my apps to update automatically via the checkbox option when one goes to update them manually. After so many, it too would suddenly suck the battery down in 6-8 hrs when it used to last about 12 stock. It wasn't until I rooted, rommed, and began re-downloading all my apps and began having the same problem that I figured out what the cause was. When you tell an app to update automatically, you essentially give it permission to get on the network and check for updates whenever it wants. The longer the list of apps, the worse the problem becomes. These days, I still have a lot of programs on my D3, but I don't let any of them auto-update, and my battery lasts me probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 hrs before I plug it in at night with 15% charge.

kilowatt

Reaction score
Had this happen to me today. Battery has been decent for me since I got the phone 2 1/2 weeks ago. Today phone was getting hot and battery dropping fast. Using the SystemPanel app I looked to see what process was using the most CPU. SystemPanael can record history so I could see what an app has been using over the last 3 days. The process com.motorola.blur.services.main had been using 100% of cpu2 for most of the day. Seems it started last night around the time I connected it to the charger. Ran at 100% from midnight until 10AM when I disconnected the charger. It ran much higher than normal all day and started back at 100 % around 4PM. I shutoff the phone and restarted (no battery pull) and now it's back to normal and my phone is cool again. I'm not sure what triggered this process to run crazy but I'll try to monitor what causes it if it happens again.