Android needs 10 more things until they establish themselves as the best mobile OS.

tonydelite

Reaction score
What is it with people's fascination with iTunes? It is bloated, slow and a PIA. Exactly how hard is it to drag and drop files to and from a phone?

it's used by 200M+ people. i'm assuming its just a little popular and your hate for it is a very, very..very small minority.

It's used by so many people because it is a requirement for the iPhone and iPod. Not because it is good. I know many people who have iPhones, and I would say just about all of them hate iTunes.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed! I owned 3 iPhones myself and iTunes was used only because it had to be. Rooting a Droid can be done even easier that via a website too. I'm usually against one click rooting apps due to the user not learning anything about the process (and freaking out when things go wrong) vs doing it themselves. Which of course is a "choice" and that's what Android is all about ;)

What is it with people's fascination with iTunes? It is bloated, slow and a PIA. Exactly how hard is it to drag and drop files to and from a phone?

it's used by 200M+ people. i'm assuming its just a little popular and your hate for it is a very, very..very small minority.

It's used by so many people because it is a requirement for the iPhone and iPod. Not because it is good. I know many people who have iPhones, and I would say just about all of them hate iTunes.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Haha...you'd have to define "many people"...even if you knew two million people who hated it that would still be just one percent of total users. Sorry but you're generalizing...

Sent from my 47 Thieves Droid using Tapatalk

tonydelite

Reaction score

Haha...you'd have to define "many people"...even if you knew two million people who hated it that would still be just one percent of total users. Sorry but you're generalizing...

Sent from my 47 Thieves Droid using Tapatalk

Of course i'm generalizing. But if I know 10 people that have an iPhone/iPod and 9 of them say they hate iTunes (numbers I made up, because I don't have conversations about this with all my friends.) then given the information I have, I could extrapolate that "many" people hate iTunes. I didn't say they hate their iPhone or iPod. They just hate the software they are forced to use.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Back to the op, if someone who likes Apple's model this much comes up with a list this short, then simply by the fact that most of us can dismiss all of the list as unnecessary outright cloning or otherwise irrelevant to the distinct nature of an Android user, I'd start claiming success already.

This is an opinion, to which I am entitled, and which can be different than yours because I am not forced by any commercial influence to do anything in any certain way.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
If I only had a few hundred songs I suppose dragging and dropping would be more than adequate. Since I have closer to 5000, the idea of manually organizing them into a file structure is intimidating. Even if I was willing to do so I'd have to settle on a single method of cataloging and depend on the generic search engine to find them. I'd take hours to create a playlist. And creating one would require me to either destroy my carefully cataloged structure, or duplicate every song that I want. Neither is a good choice.

I'm not going to try and claim that iTunes is the preeminent tool for the job. It is overly large; reminds me of the last days of Netscape. I stopped using it not because I was fond of Explorer, but because I was sick of seeing all my RAM disappear whenever I loaded my browser. iTunes is also noticeably worse on Windows than it is on OS X. But, I don't recall the OP saying he wanted iTunes either, just some of the core features.

A program that has the organizing and sync functions of iTunes would be more than welcome, and they exist, at least for Windows and Linux users. I've run across some pretty intense database on other forums over which one is best. I don't know how good their support for Android phones are, but I don't doubt it will get better.

It is pretty short sighted to dismiss a call for a feature just because it reminds you of the competition. Far better to decide what's best about the competition and emulate it, while leaving out the parts that you don't like.

Most of the OPs wish list fails to strike a chord with me; however I can't think of anything on it that would harm the Android OS. My wish list, your wish list, the OPs wish list, whatever.

And it feels a bit hypocritical to claim that Android is all about doing what you want with your phone and then chastise people for wanting to do something you don't, even if they invoke the name of the competition to describe it.

Last edited:

Asperity

Reaction score
Of course i'm generalizing. But if I know 10 people that have an iPhone/iPod and 9 of them say they hate iTunes (numbers I made up, because I don't have conversations about this with all my friends.) then given the information I have, I could extrapolate that "many" people hate iTunes.

Statistics says you cannot.

Reaction score
ok
1) its called a credit card
2) people who use android are smart enough to view their files, they dont need a "user-friendly" client like itunes since their are already bigger than them anyway
3)umm why? they just surpassed apple?
4)whats wrong with the one they have now????
5)frostwire>itunes>salling media>phone>ears
6)all future phones from android that are going to be LTE will have them, also ours can function on 3G AS WELL as wifi
7)its an app
8)u just said it urself
9)launcher pro
10)yep, u dont got 1 min buddy?

ok here, ive made a list of everything iOS needs since u seem to be trying to style android after apples iOS,
1)customizable desktops
2)flash
3)better antenna lol;)
4)more free apps (80% 0f androids are)
5)different devices rather than the iphone, iphone 3, iphone 3GS etc
6)KEYBOARDS
7)front facing cameras that work on 3g too
8) better service...if i had a nickle for every sap YESTERDAY who asked me if they could use my phone since their at&t iphone didnt have service there id have 20 cents my friend
9)better music player, ( i have "3") and its WAY better
10)removable batteries
honestly the list can go on

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course i'm generalizing. But if I know 10 people that have an iPhone/iPod and 9 of them say they hate iTunes (numbers I made up, because I don't have conversations about this with all my friends.) then given the information I have, I could extrapolate that "many" people hate iTunes.

And thats personification. Statistics says? lol, can you talk to statistics directly or can i send him an e-mail to see if he agrees with you?

And as for itunes thing, you guys know thier re several song managers already, i recall yahoo having one, rhapsody, sonicstage... just to name a few. I guess it would be cool if google had one, it wouldnt be like itunes as it wouldnt be a necessity to use it. honestly i probably wouldnt use it as google would probably put advertising on it... The op does bring up some good points but to be honest a lot of the stuff listed is already in effect. tablets and front facing cameras are getting very available for android maybe not all devices but that is the beauty of android...Multiple devices. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Since I have closer to 5000, the idea of manually organizing them into a file structure is intimidating.

Huh? I have thousands of mp3's as well. I have no issue with them sorted by song title, artist or album. Don't understand what you mean by "file structure". I copy my music folder - all 12 gigs of it - to my Droid in one copy-paste motion.

Playlists are a bit of a nuisance, but I can add an entire album or artist to a playlist so it's pretty easy. If I want to do individual songs, I don't see any way around that painful task (and probably why I don't have many playlists).

Last edited:

tonydelite

Reaction score

Please enlighten me on these statistics.

kilofox

Reaction score
The one thing iTunes has going for it, and why Android needs something similar, is that iTunes allows you to buy one app and share it with another device that is logged into the same iTunes account (up to 5 devices I think) ... therefore saving you $$$.

If you and your family members like the same app on your droids, all of you have to buy it individually. Not necessarily true on iOS/iTunes.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

And thats personification. Statistics says? lol, can you talk to statistics directly or can i send him an e-mail to see if he agrees with you?

And as for itunes thing, you guys know thier re several song managers already, i recall yahoo having one, rhapsody, sonicstage... just to name a few. I guess it would be cool if google had one, it wouldnt be like itunes as it wouldnt be a necessity to use it. honestly i probably wouldnt use it as google would probably put advertising on it... The op does bring up some good points but to be honest a lot of the stuff listed is already in effect. tablets and front facing cameras are getting very available for android maybe not all devices but that is the beauty of android...Multiple devices. :)

?? Question. When he said "Statistics say" did you think he meant he knows someone named "Statistics Jones" who tells him cool things about iTunes demographics? If so, that's just weird. Or were you trying to be the grammar police? If so, that's just dumb. CLEARLY he was talking about the study of statistics and your confusion about the subject and rambling about emailing "statistics" is pointless and odd. Anyway, he is right. Statistics say (and if you want to personify statistics as being some dude with a top hat, feel free) that knowing 10 out of 200M people who don't like iTunes is hardly a good enough sample size to extrapolate that the majority hates it.

Statistics say (yes...they do) that for a population that big, an accurate sample size would be around 600 people and in order to extrapolate that the majority hates iTunes, you' need at a minimum 301 to say that they hate it (not taking into account confidence intervals and confidence levels of course). Is it possible that 301 of those people would say they hate it? Absolutely. Is 10 of those people saying they hate it indicative of the whole? Haaha...no.

So yes, statisitcs does say, that using 10 people out of 200M as your sample size is not only completely innaccurate, but also makes no sense.

tonydelite

Reaction score

?? Question. When he said "Statistics say" did you think he meant he knows someone named "Statistics Jones" who tells him cool things about iTunes demographics? If so, that's just weird. Or were you trying to be the grammar police? If so, that's just dumb. CLEARLY he was talking about the study of statistics and your confusion about the subject and rambling about emailing "statistics" is pointless and odd. Anyway, he is right. Statistics say (and if you want to personify statistics as being some dude with a top hat, feel free) that knowing 10 out of 200M people who don't like iTunes is hardly a good enough sample size to extrapolate that the majority hates it.

Statistics say (yes...they do) that for a population that big, an accurate sample size would be around 600 people and in order to extrapolate that the majority hates iTunes, you' need at a minimum 301 to say that they hate it (not taking into account confidence intervals and confidence levels of course). Is it possible that 301 of those people would say they hate it? Absolutely. Is 10 of those people saying they hate it indicative of the whole? Haaha...no.

So yes, statisitcs does say, that using 10 people out of 200M as your sample size is not only completely innaccurate, but also makes no sense.

Hey man, I think this got a little blown out of proportion. I never said that "most" people who use iTunes hate it... I said "many" people do. By that, I just meant there is probably a decent amount. All I said is if 9 out of 10 of my friends dislike iTunes, then I can infer that there are quite a bit more. I'm not doing a scientific study here, i'm making an offhand comment on an internet forum about cell phones. No need to break out the statistics army.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Itunes is worse than a virus to a computer unless it's a Mac.
That is unless you allow it to have complete control of the os
I hate only 1 thing on this earth and it's itunes. Dislike more than 1 thing but hate only 1.

Support our troops!
slidered from a wifi monolith