Android needs 10 more things until they establish themselves as the best mobile OS.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
And thats personification. Statistics says? lol, can you talk to statistics directly or can i send him an e-mail to see if he agrees with you?

And as for itunes thing, you guys know thier re several song managers already, i recall yahoo having one, rhapsody, sonicstage... just to name a few. I guess it would be cool if google had one, it wouldnt be like itunes as it wouldnt be a necessity to use it. honestly i probably wouldnt use it as google would probably put advertising on it... The op does bring up some good points but to be honest a lot of the stuff listed is already in effect. tablets and front facing cameras are getting very available for android maybe not all devices but that is the beauty of android...Multiple devices. :)

?? Question. When he said "Statistics say" did you think he meant he knows someone named "Statistics Jones" who tells him cool things about iTunes demographics? If so, that's just weird. Or were you trying to be the grammar police? If so, that's just dumb. CLEARLY he was talking about the study of statistics and your confusion about the subject and rambling about emailing "statistics" is pointless and odd. Anyway, he is right. Statistics say (and if you want to personify statistics as being some dude with a top hat, feel free) that knowing 10 out of 200M people who don't like iTunes is hardly a good enough sample size to extrapolate that the majority hates it.

Statistics say (yes...they do) that for a population that big, an accurate sample size would be around 600 people and in order to extrapolate that the majority hates iTunes, you' need at a minimum 301 to say that they hate it (not taking into account confidence intervals and confidence levels of course). Is it possible that 301 of those people would say they hate it? Absolutely. Is 10 of those people saying they hate it indicative of the whole? Haaha...no.

So yes, statisitcs does say, that using 10 people out of 200M as your sample size is not only completely innaccurate, but also makes no sense.

Hey man, I think this got a little blown out of proportion. I never said that "most" people who use iTunes hate it... I said "many" people do. By that, I just meant there is probably a decent amount. All I said is if 9 out of 10 of my friends dislike iTunes, then I can infer that there are quite a bit more. I'm not doing a scientific study here, i'm making an offhand comment on an internet forum about cell phones. No need to break out the statistics army.

I know. And that's when I asked you to define "many"...and then this became a statistics argument haha. The truth is you may know people who hate it but using the word many may be overkill

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
uh oh, all the droidphanboys are getting their feelings hurt again because someone dared to speak against the almighty DROID.

your list has a couple on there I would LOVE to see like front facing camera... others, don't concern me like the music store since I just rip my music off of youtube, but they are all constructive criticisms. However, the rest of the thread is full of "nothing is wrong with andriod, blasphemy, get the stones out and we'll take care of any naysayers"

ONE PLATFORM would be nice for Droid, too

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
?? Question. When he said "Statistics say" did you think he meant he knows someone named "Statistics Jones" who tells him cool things about iTunes demographics? If so, that's just weird. Or were you trying to be the grammar police? If so, that's just dumb. CLEARLY he was talking about the study of statistics and your confusion about the subject and rambling about emailing "statistics" is pointless and odd. Anyway, he is right. Statistics say (and if you want to personify statistics as being some dude with a top hat, feel free) that knowing 10 out of 200M people who don't like iTunes is hardly a good enough sample size to extrapolate that the majority hates it.

Statistics say (yes...they do) that for a population that big, an accurate sample size would be around 600 people and in order to extrapolate that the majority hates iTunes, you' need at a minimum 301 to say that they hate it (not taking into account confidence intervals and confidence levels of course). Is it possible that 301 of those people would say they hate it? Absolutely. Is 10 of those people saying they hate it indicative of the whole? Haaha...no.

So yes, statisitcs does say, that using 10 people out of 200M as your sample size is not only completely innaccurate, but also makes no sense.

Hey man, I think this got a little blown out of proportion. I never said that "most" people who use iTunes hate it... I said "many" people do. By that, I just meant there is probably a decent amount. All I said is if 9 out of 10 of my friends dislike iTunes, then I can infer that there are quite a bit more. I'm not doing a scientific study here, i'm making an offhand comment on an internet forum about cell phones. No need to break out the statistics army.

I know. And that's when I asked you to define "many"...and then this became a statistics argument haha. The truth is you may know people who hate it but using the word many may be overkill
Haha this blew up over night. The personification was sarcasm. i knew what he meant, no confusion there. Im a sarcastic person. and we all need to stop this. Lol, lets get back to the topic. I am sorry i continued the argument. I bet i could argue all day but it's just not going to work out for any of us (we are all thick headed when it comes to this stuff).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone this thread is sliding downhill...

keep it civil or it's going to be closed.

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
ok, the 10 things ANDROID needs IMHO:
1) TASER
2) BRAIN WAVE SCAN
3) LOCATION based on USERS PREFERENCE
4) HOOK UP REMOTE 37" MONITOR
5) HOOK UP EXTERNAL KEYBOARD
6) VOICE POLYGRAPH(also see below)
7) STARLIGHT CAPABILITIES
8) SLIDE OUT SISSORS
9) 1 STEP REMOTE PRINTING
10) SCAN FOR LIFE FORMS

"instead of asking why, state why not"

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok, the 10 things ANDROID needs IMHO:
1) TASER
2) BRAIN WAVE SCAN
3) LOCATION based on USERS PREFERENCE
4) HOOK UP REMOTE 37" MONITOR
5) HOOK UP EXTERNAL KEYBOARD
6) VOICE POLYGRAPH(also see below)
7) STARLIGHT CAPABILITIES
8) SLIDE OUT SISSORS
9) 1 STEP REMOTE PRINTING
10) SCAN FOR LIFE FORMS

"instead of asking why, state why not"

haha scan for life forms. what is this your asking a Tricorder? +1 for tazer. that would just be amazing stopper for crime in the U.S.

And i actually believe their is an app for #3.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Huh? I have thousands of mp3's as well. I have no issue with them sorted by song title, artist or album. Don't understand what you mean by "file structure". I copy my music folder - all 12 gigs of it - to my Droid in one copy-paste motion.

I have 20GB of songs, and they do not all fit on my phone. I suppose I could buy a bigger SD card, but since I don't really want or need every single song on the phone, I'll pass.

I should have said folder structure instead of file structure. You know, top level artist, next album, whatever. There are several ways to organize your music in folders, and none of them are perfect. With a music player/database you can endlessly reorganize your songs to suit your needs of the moment. Sometime it comes in handy to see them sorted by genre, size, or play length.

Playlists are a bit of a nuisance, but I can add an entire album or artist to a playlist so it's pretty easy. If I want to do individual songs, I don't see any way around that painful task (and probably why I don't have many playlists).

Easily creating playlists is probably the second best reason for using this kind of program. Manual playlists are easier just because it's easier to search and sort to find what you want. Smart playlists are where the real power comes in. As a sample, you could create a list that selects all your jazz by three artists, excluding anything with less than a 128 bit sample rate. Best part is that you never have to update it. Each time you add music the playlist updates automatically.

I'm not claiming that everyone wants or needs these features, but it should be obvious that the features are useful and that some, maybe even many, people would like to have them.

That's all I'm really arguing about. Getting people to stop the 'I don't need it so it's a stupid feature for stupid people' to the broader concept of 'Hey, everybody has their own needs, wants, and priorities. And Android should be able to serve damn near all of them.

Last edited:

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
#3....would be cool if I could show I was in Boise when in NYC instead
>>>>---------->

shdowman

Reaction score
IMO, this list is slightly silly in regards to what the general public would like to see.

IMHO, this is more what I think should be more of a balanced list:

1. Vanilla OS on all phones with the user allowed to download whichever skin they may want to apply to their phone, sense, blur, touch wiz..

This leads to all sorts of changes that do nothing but create a completely easier end user experience. As soon as Google pushes an update, you get it. And it is up to you to wait for the manufacturer to update their overlay.
2. Standard requirements regarding hardware. I know gingerbread has started implementing this...so look forward to seeing how this plays out moving forward. Fine line between being open and starting to close the walls in.
3. All carriers allowing carrier billing for purchasing Aps through the marketplace. None of this carrier/web site/phone manufacturer created app stores adding to the fragmentation...

Those are my three primary wishes for android. The problem, as we all know with android being "open" is that they do not want to necessarily tell carriers/manufacturers what they can and cannot do. Therefore the carriers see dollar signs and want to take advantage of what they have been given. This fascinate that I'm am using is a glaring example of that.

There are some areas where apple has the right idea in regards to their walled garden, but I still choose android as I believe it will be primary OS of choice...I just think there are a fee areas that could be borrowed to improve the experience. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure I could think of a few more but I am watching football and typing on my phone... :p

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Smart playlists are where the real power comes in. As a sample, you could create a list that selects all your jazz by three artists, excluding anything with less than a 128 bit sample rate. Best part that you never have to update it. Each time you add music the playlist will update as necessary.

Don't know. I still don't understand all that. All my music is at least 192 bits. From tunewikki, I can quickly and easily sort music by playlist, artist or album, so it sounds just as quick as making your "smart playlists". Yeah, tunewikki at least doesn't sort by genre, but I find the tagging services to be notoriously inaccurate. And even within tags, I don't consider all a good fit for a playlist, doesn't flow and order matters, so while the autoupdate might be nice I don't see a ton of value. Pretty quick and easy to add an artist to a playlist and the cull the songs you don't like. Most people for music they buy would not struggle to add some new songs to a few playlists.

Incredibilly

Reaction score
Just wanna point out that the Evo is currently on the market with a front facing cam. So the DI HD (aka Evo) has one too.

sent from my Incredible Andriod phone using DroidForums App.

shdowman

Reaction score
So is the Epic 4g and the my touch 4g...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

donelam304

Reaction score
sounds like to me that you just need to go get an iPhone. lol. but then you dont have the freedom of doing the custom apps yourself. like we can with the droid. there is about 10 guys i work with that have iPhones and some are jailbroke. and they still like my droid way better. lol.