Android Market Approaching 100,000 Apps

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
2e4xh5j.jpg

Less than a year ago, the Android Market only had 10,000 apps, and was the butt of many smartphone jokes. Oh, how things change! Thanks to Androlib's Market statistics, we can see that the Market currently has over 90,000 apps, and will surmount 100,000 apps by the end of July! This exponential growth is truly exciting news, and if this growth continues (not likely, but fun to think about), we could surpass the Apple App Store in less than a year!

Accumulation of Apps on Android Market

newappsbydaycumul.aspx.png

Applications Added to Market per Month

newappsbymonth.aspx.png

Now we all know that there is no application approval process for the Android Market. As a result, anybody can post anything they want on the Market, which likely inflates the statistics. And as such, many people in the Android community have been calling for Google to implement better filtering and search options for the Market. Also, some are going as far as to say that Android should adopt a pseudo-approval process to prevent useless pieces of code posted and statistically recognized as an app.

So what do you guys think of the future of the Android Market? Do you think it will eventually surpass the Apple App Store? Let us know!

via AndroidSpin
Source Androlib

A.Brooks

Reaction score
The problem is there are a couple of spammers inflating stats. it's getting better, but the stats are really screwed up due to the scammers out there peddling pr0n

QuickSilver98

Reaction score
The problem is there are a couple of spammers inflating stats. it's getting better, but the stats are really screwed up due to the scammers out there peddling pr0n

Exactly. A lot of these "apps" are either additions or extensions to other apps (ex. keyboards or font packages) or spamware

azules9780

Reaction score
Yeah, there are quite a few BS apps out there. However, I personally think that the Marketplace is going to surpass the app store within 3 years. With real, useful apps, not just a bunch of fluff. Besides, we have more phones and more new hardware coming out all the time which makes the possibilities almost infinite. What couldn't be done on Android 6 months ago will be normal stuff 6 months from now if not sooner.

Technoman

Reaction score
I just wonder why there are some companies out there promising APP's for android that have APPLE crap APP's and then not delivering.

Since I am a technical (training in electronics) and not a computer code writer, I could not tell you if one is easier than the other to develop for.

I do however, know that the controls and lock down of the iOS and the Apple Store have to make it more of a hassle.

What do we have to do to get these companies on our side? We need to mount a system that is like a petition to email these companies as a community with our requests/demands that we be treated fairly.

For instance, I sent an email to Monsoon Multimedia (Hava video box) to get an APP for Android shortly after I got my Droid. I was told that they were in process, but now 8 months later there is still no APP.

I have also recently requested that Six Flags get an APP for Android (they recently released one for the Apple store). I have been assured that they have sent the request to the technical group... but no real response on what is going on.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Sure Android is nearing 100,000 apps but 80,000 of them are JUNK!

c0y0te

Reaction score
They need to give us the option to filter by rating and download count.

kmasum

Reaction score
Hopefully Ginger bread will fix all the problem

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I've seen "apps" in the Market clearly stating they're for iPhone or i-something else; what's *that* about?

Sent from my Droid using TARDIStalk

bassjason

Reaction score
The marketplace definitely needs to be cleaned up. More sorting options would be nice!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure Android is nearing 100,000 apps but 80,000 of them are JUNK!
True dat.

When I first heard of the market, it was about a day after I got my droid last November. There was barely over 10K apps. Also, in a different exponential growth example, the forum only had 19479 members, and I thought, "so much for getting in early" but look at it now ;)

Back to the OP, I don't think it'll be a big deal IF the market surpasses itunes in apps. It's just the nature of the biz that there will be a tapering of the introduction of new apps as the more there is, the less of new ideas there will be. But the equality part of it is significant as the Android base will then start to be the only thing that stands apart (no more, "there's more apps for the iPhone" type comparisons) and will truly show the superiority.

JMHO