Android Passing iOS In Apps!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
BTW I realize from an android perspective, it's not a problem. I'm not arguing that android is not selling....i believe the argument is about fragmentation and not sales.

But my point is its usually framed as an Android problem, and it's not.

Again, if your margin drops in half but your profits double, how are you really harmed? When I say fragmentation is a hollow argument I mean the ROI has gone down but they're making more money. And with native code support in GB and improved porting, Google is certainly taking steps to increase that ROI.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
BTW I realize from an android perspective, it's not a problem. I'm not arguing that android is not selling....i believe the argument is about fragmentation and not sales.

But my point is its usually framed as an Android problem, and it's not.

Again, if your margin drops in half but your profits double, how are you really harmed? When I say fragmentation is a hollow argument I mean the ROI has gone down but they're making more money. And with native code support in GB and improved porting, Google is certainly taking steps to increase that ROI.

Well this thread certainly wasn't framed as an android problem was it? It stated that android will have more apps in the market then ios eventually, and then it went to quality vs quantity, and now it's at whether fragmentation exists or not. maybe you're just arguing the wrong thing?

kodiak799 said:
The Android model is much more heavily based on ad revenue. That is a good thing or bad thing depending on the app.

There is no proof whatsoever that an ad-based system is any less profitable then a "let me charge you upfront" system. Your angry birds example proves that. If there is quality, the dev will make money. In fact, the argument could be made that the ad based system could potentially garner more profit, and yet we don't see that. Android app revenue is no where near ios and will not get anywhere near it for the next three years according to projections and even at that point it'll be 60-40 in favor of ios.

i'm sorry man, like i said earlier, its insulting for you to downplay fragmentation as a boogeyman concept, especially since you've never developed for android (or at least you haven't stated so). the fragmentation is a huge issue for devs, including myself, and that's the reason why app revenue is low, not because of ads.

my app was an epic fail, but i had enough experience with the SDK to know that it would not have been easy to continue developing the app and providing fixes especially if it did become popular. you've gotta be kidding me if you're suggesting that an app dev wants to release app updates once a week...

Some more food for thought:

More on Android Fragmentation, 86% of Developers Think It’s a Problem - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

86% of devs thinks fragmentation is an issue. No offense, but I'm going to side with what they think then what a non-dev does....

there's a reason app revenue in android is so low, it's cuz the apps are not quality apps like on ios, and the reason they're not quality is because of fragmentation.

kandiman1224

Reaction score
But that is also a reason i dont like apple sometimes

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

aayoo

Reaction score
I'd take quality over quantity, and overall ios has much more quality apps in their store. Have you played rolando, infinity blade, street fighter iv etc...the developers they have on board are top-notch simply put.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I'd take quality over quantity, and overall ios has much more quality apps in their store. Have you played rolando, infinity blade, street fighter iv etc...the developers they have on board are top-notch simply put.

Maybe I am using the wrong app store... 40% of the apps are useless crap.

aayoo

Reaction score
You're the pot calling the kettle black if you think android doesn't have as many if not more "useless" apps than IOS.

ke0kie

Reaction score
Both contain a myriad of garbage.

The "number of apps" is meaningless. Useful software is a scarce, rare thing.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Both contain a myriad of garbage.

The "number of apps" is meaningless. Useful software is a scarce, rare thing.

haha short and to the point, and yes i agree. ios has fart apps, android has sexy screaming japanese women. i wouldn't argue that either is any more useful then the other

sherrie.melton

Reaction score
The price of Android-operated devices is much less when compared to iOS operated devices in the market. This is one of the key reasons for the popularity of Android apps among mobile device users.