Android iPod touch alternative?

vettesfan

Reaction score
My nephews iPod broke (out of warranty) and he wants a new one for his birthday. Being anti apple I really would rather find something android powered but can't find much besides the rumored non phone galaxy s device that is supposed to be coming. Are there any alternatives on the market currently?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out the Nook Color. It is Android OS and has been rooted. Go here Nook for more info on the NC and other Android tablets

OP
V

vettesfan

Reaction score
LOL I just bought myself a nook color and am going to be adding cm7 to it in the a.m. A little to big to be a viable alternative for use during high school athletics.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes a great alternative and price but not for athletic events

LocoRon

Reaction score
Have you looked at archos tablets? As I recall, the smaller ones were being marketed as personal media players... with touch screens.

soulshot96

Reaction score
Samsung galaxy player.5.0. 5 inch super amoled, 1 ghz processor, android 2.2(3?). Android market. Sweet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

OP
V

vettesfan

Reaction score
Do you know when the Samsung is due out in the US? I thought I heard not until summer sometime.

soulshot96

Reaction score
I don't know but I watched a video and it is sweet. If I didn't have a galaxy s(and love it) I would get one of those.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I feel your pain... I'm quite anti-Apple as well. But in the case of pure PMPs (personal media players), the iPod varieties are undoubtedly the best option right now.

However, they're hugely overpriced for what they offer, considering the iTunes ball-and-chain. I got my mom a SanDisk Sansa player, which she loves. The current (resist the urge to laugh) Sony Walkman MP3 player ain't bad either.

OP
V

vettesfan

Reaction score
Yeah as much as I would love to save the $$$ I can't expect him to go to one of those from an iPod touch. I am sure I will just have to throw some money at the Jobsian empire. :(