Android has come a long way but still needs to be polished

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ran the rough AOSP built gingerbread ROM and I have to say it was much more polished than any previous build. Everything was smoother, the menus were crisp and just beautiful compared to Froyo. So if 2.3 is a light overhaul, Honeycomb(3.0) should be big improvement. Good things are coming don't worry.

Sent from somewhere...

These are my thoughts exactly - 3.0 should blow other Android O/S out of the water :)

Isn't honeycomb only going to be for tablets?

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

It will bring major compatibility and features for tablets, but no one ever said it wouldn't be an update for phones too.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the android downfall will be making too many devices. I think they need to pick 2 devices and hone them to perfection. You will always have these sluggish/bug problems if you have a dozen devices to put one OS on, it's just impossible to make them run as well as the iphone does because there are just too many variables.

ATT is the only reason I didn't buy an iphone, I love my droid, but they definitely need to work on focusing on less devices and higher quality.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Their all going to be crying when this UI comes out.

[video=youtube;ROca7ao-Tqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROca7ao-Tqw[/video]

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I signed up to beta test that....hope I get it!!!!!!!!

Sent from somewhere...

Reaction score
What you guys are talking about in reference to the silky smooth rendering has to do with hardware acceleration. Froyo does not support this. When you scroll up and down menus or in the browser it uses CPU to render the UI hence why it looks so sluggish, even on 1GHz+ devices.

Gingerbread has a little bit of hardware acceleration, but only in the app drawer and in some menus (this is from memory from reading the realease notes on GB). So Android is definitely going in the right direction and hopefully they will include that SPB UI as seen earlier in this thread onto future devices.

iOS is all hardware accelerated because all iPhone generations have the same guts so its easier for it to support such features.

csimo

Reaction score
You're confusing looks with functionality. The small buttons and colors are easily fixed (themes, skins ect.) the 'fluid[ity], responsive[ness] and smooth[ness]' the OP is referring to is a function of the coding and the inner components (services) of the ROM. And these are being addressed quite successfully in the upcoming release(s). I'd much rather Google spends there limited resources on the code and leave the skins to others. I've not had a phone in 3+ years that I haven't skinned (at the very least) so if the underlying code is solid it doesn't matter.

I'm not interested in third party themes, boot animations or other kid stuff.

Google's "limited" resources? In today's economy Google has as close to unlimited resources as any company on Earth.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Google's "limited" resources? In today's economy Google has as close to unlimited resources as any company on Earth.

Hardly... their total net income is a fraction of M$ or Apple and there comparative operational revenue is 1/3 of either of their competitor. Not to mention the difference in manpower and resources and, again since you didn't get it the first time their experience in the field. They are years behind any competitor in terms of history of R&D and as such they are having to learn and innovate at the same time were the others have a, to use the term loosely solid history to evolve from.

Last edited:

BlueSami

Reaction score

Why do we even have this conversion here?
If you like the GREAT all mighty iphone that has been around for 4 years then go buy one!

or how bout you go buy a first gen iphone and tell me how smooth and fast that is!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do we even have this conversion here?
If you like the GREAT all mighty iphone that has been around for 4 years then go buy one!

or how bout you go buy a first gen iphone and tell me how smooth and fast that is!

THANK YOU :rofl3:
All these naysayers seem to forget that considering their relative age and growth Android and it's devices are FAR beyond what any Windows, iPOS, or RIM device was at the same stage in their evolution.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Average consumers (see overwhelming majority) prefer fluidity and responsiveness over openness though...
It's really more than just that. Trendiness plays a big part as well.

Remember that apple has always had COMPLETE control of the hardware for iPOS (just as they do for all their products) therefore it's EXTREMELY easy and quicker to streamline and fine tune the OS and services. M$ has been around so long and undergone so many devices they have learned A LOT about supporting multiple devices (not to mention all these 'first gen' WM7 devices were purpose built with/for WM7 so they have been 'tweaked' similar to iPOS or the way and good ROM chef will tweak a ROM for a particular device).
That's a major point there. The new Windows phones are also very restricted. It's not like iOS but there are only a few different templates for the OEM's to work with IIRC.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Average consumers (see overwhelming majority) prefer fluidity and responsiveness over openness though...
It's really more than just that. Trendiness plays a big part as well.

Of course it does, but a crappy product does not trends create. if the iphone was laggy and not responsive it wouldn't be as successful as it is just because of trendiness.

OP
D

droidXpert

Reaction score
czerdrill is right. The average consumer cares more about fluidity and responsiveness than openness. I can only think of 3 ppl I know that care about openness/hacking their phone.

I have both a Droid X and Droid 1 and have had both since each release date. Honestly, even with the replacement launchers and newer hardware, Android just isn't close to the smoothness of WP7 or iOS. That said, I honestly don't care about openness and would just prefer a phone that's as smooth as butter. Android is getting there but IMO, WP7 and iOS are better OSs. That said, hopefully Honeycomb will bring more to the table because I'm a little disappointed with Gingerbread.

Fredmertz

Reaction score
wrong focus

I worked for DEC in the '80s. We had a better OS and computer, VMS,, VAX.

But IBM made applications for customers. IBM is still here, DEC is not.

IBM sold because they had 3 extra letters on their keyboard.... IBM.