Android has come a long way but still needs to be polished

Iowa

Reaction score
Seriously. I think it is prudent and important to note that the average smart phone user does not frequent forums. They also are not as intuitive and in depth with their devices. Iphone offers an easy end user experience that is in most respects fluent and visually acceptable. For most end users this experience is enough to make them a fan. Also, apple offers a full integrated experience from your computer, to your mp3 player, to your phone. This all builds brand loyalty.

In the end my opinion is and always will be: Buy what YOU like and use what YOU like who cares what some dudes/dudetes says on an online forum.

Being a fanboi is a waste of time and often times people miss out on devices and things they would have enjoyed immensely but allowed themselves to be swayed away because of some fictitious need to be "loyal" to a brand.

wingdo

Reaction score
I must state up front that I love my D1. Awesome phone, I love the look, the design and I really like Android. Sadly I have yet to fall in love with the OS as much as I have with the hardware. I use my D1 in the corporate world and it is lacking in some basic functionality which has it a step behind the iPhone (yes I said it, the iPhone is more business friendly). I am hoping that the next update to the OS will fix the three glaring holes I see in Android.

1) No global spell check? REALLY? Nothing like pounding out a long e-mail on the Droid and then having to triple check to see if I caught all the typos I could (not to mention the ones I still miss)

2) Cisco IPSEC VPN support. Motorola and Verizon are pushing the Droid Pro and Droid 2 as business phones, and yet the VPN software does not support the #1 selling VPN concentrator for business. The fact my co-workers can get into our network with their iphony thingies drives me nuts.

3) NTLM support. It's great that I have such a wonderful browser. I love the speed / rendering. But the lack of NTLM (Windows Server Authentication) means I cannot log in to any of our internal web pages even when connected directly to the network via wifi.

It is bothersome to me that there have been countless posts / threads / bug reports filed with Google about these BASIC business needs and they remain unaddressed.

I am hoping that by the time an LTE device is out I will be able to upgrade to another Moto Droid (or perhaps HTC).

redflyer

Reaction score
Coming from a blackberry device i love the mobile computing capabilities and touch screen on my droid. I just wish they had better email integration where gmail didn't try and monopolize everything!

Iowa

Reaction score
Coming from a blackberry device i love the mobile computing capabilities and touch screen on my droid. I just wish they had better email integration where gmail didn't try and monopolize everything!

Ya coming from a bb I too am VERY impressed. I was a BB fanboi forever until I realized how silly it was to be brand loyal and miss out on other awesome devices! Blackberries have their use...but in the end the droid is so much more tailored to my wants and needs!

dancedroid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ya coming from a bb I too am VERY impressed. I was a BB fanboi forever until I realized how silly it was to be brand loyal and miss out on other awesome devices! Blackberries have their use...but in the end the droid is so much more tailored to my wants and needs!

dancedroid

One of the better posts I've ever read on DF and so true. EVERY phone, OS, company has it's pros and cons. To bash one just because you like another is foolish. That's my point from the beginning. To call iPhone users cultists and sheep makes zero sense and just amounts to childishness. I love my D1, and I highly doubt any iteration of the iPhone will make me leave android. However, the iPhone is an AMAZING, fluid, easy to use product that just works like it's supposed to. Only a fool would try to deny that, or downplay it's usability, success or impact in the smartphone world...

Iowa

Reaction score

dancedroid

One of the better posts I've ever read on DF and so true. EVERY phone, OS, company has it's pros and cons. To bash one just because you like another is foolish. That's my point from the beginning. To call iPhone users cultists and sheep makes zero sense and just amounts to childishness. I love my D1, and I highly doubt any iteration of the iPhone will make me leave android. However, the iPhone is an AMAZING, fluid, easy to use product that just works like it's supposed to. Only a fool would try to deny that, or downplay it's usability, success or impact in the smartphone world...

Ya, anyone who tells you iphone are garbage and that anyone who uses one is a fanatical cultist is most likely the fanatical brand cultist lol. Fact of the matter is each of us has different preferences and different likes. Each of us has different situations and money allowances. I personally cannot afford to cancel my vzw plan and switch to attnt to get an Iphone, but if I did have that option I would certainly explore it. In the end I buy the device that I have the resources for and the access to and I buy what I like. For me that is my Dinc...that however doesn't negate the fact that Iphones are nice smartphones and are right for certain people and not for others :)!

dancedroid