Amazon's Secret Smartphone Weapon isn't the Phone Itself; It's 'Prime Data'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-phone.jpg

It's never really been a secret that Amazon is planning to launch a smartphone at some point. In fact, most of the credible intel suggests it will launch later this summer. Most of the rumors have pegged the device to have some impressive new features, including an advanced form of 3D, head-tracking cameras, zero-touch controls, and several other new innovative ideas.

Despite these mystical sounding concepts, it turns out the most effective secret weapon in Amazon's mobile phone arsenal won't actually be the device itself. It will be something called "Prime Data." No actual details about this have leaked, but the smart speculation believes Amazon is simply planning to offer smartphone buyers free access to its various Prime-branded digital services. What this would effectively do is eliminate data usage for when you are using Amazon Prime specific apps and features. It might basically gives users free access to streaming movies, TV shows, music and other Amazon services over cellular data networks.

Alternative theories point to plans from Amazon with simply improved savings compared to typical smartphone data plans. This would depend on Amazon inking deals with different cell phone carriers, however. It's also probable that Amazon will simply start further developing and pushing their mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) concept. This would effectively leverage WiFi for much of the functionality of the phone including phone calls. Obviously this would only work in a limited capacity at first, but in time it could evolve to a point where cellular is squeezed out.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what new rabbit Amazon pulls out of their hat this time.

Source: BGR

Meh, not that good of an incentive for me. The first thing I thought of when I saw 'prime data' was perhaps an unlimited data option with carriers through Amazon. I think that could be pulled off considering the $100 we pay for Prime Service. If that were the case...ya, i'd still not use it.

That sounds like a cool feature. However, the fact that this will be heavily customized with access to only the Amazon Appstore will keep me from ever going to it.

Free being the operative word. It may not be my choice but this will most likely fit the needs of enough people to make this a success for Amazon.

Back