Amazon Bans Sub-Standard USB Type C Cables

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
493540036.jpg

Back in November, I post this article regarding faulty USB C Cables that can potentially fry your device.

"Some USB Type-C Are Downright Dangerous" Google engineer takes on subpar USB Type-C cables

Today, Amazon announced they have banned the sale of sub-standard USB cables.

Amazon stated they will no longer sell... "Any USB-C (or USB Type-C) cable or adapter product that is not compliant with standard specifications issued by 'USB Implementers Forum Inc.'"
Amazon has also asked that you report any defective cable so they can insure it is removed from their site.

Source: Amazon

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Took 'em long enough! Haha! But I'm glad to see them policing this situation. As someone with a USB Type-C device, I've been holding off on buying any cable except direct from Google just in case.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
About time! I have a few cables that were tested by Benson but if he wasn't testing I would never have bought them.

Boxster986

Reaction score
Didn't read the article yet, but was too excited to not reply.

I think this is great, while a major undertaking, it's VERY necessary. Obviously the implications of a faulty USB-C cable has pretty grave consequences, but I have a "graveyard" of fairly new micro-USB cables sitting in a junked electronics drawer.

Also, just to add, hopefully not getting too off topic, but to me one of the greatest weaknesses of ALL charging cables is the length of the connection between the inside of the charging terminal and junction to the wire and the materials used. Any movements off of center can put tremendous torque on the metal junction between the phone and the cable terminal end ultimately leading to failure (and potential damage to your device!). This is a reality of all cables by virtue of the underlying design. THAT'S something I really wish they'd universally tackle. I've actually gotten into the habit of not using my devices when they're plugged in.

3899c98.jpg

Anyway, back to topic... this is really good news. Still haven't purchased any USB-C capable devices, but eager to try it out.