Am I screwed?

mjsplicer78

Reaction score
Had a DX, runing OTA 2.2. Rooted Deodexed Boostrapped (flashed several ROMS and themes prior to this). Installed a ROM thru ROM manager and am now stuck at the M. phone won't boot back into clockwork recovery were all the backup are stored I can't get into adb at all. Should I be calling verizon at this point?

hacku

Reaction score
Which ROM did you try installing from RM that landed you in the bootloop?

OP
mjsplicer78

mjsplicer78

Reaction score
You could probably flash the phone using the 2.2 ota "system only" sbf created by black hat. You can find instructions. This may help you find it

***TBH announces Droid X 2.2 System SBF and RSDLite 4.8*** - Android Forums

IT WORKS!!!!!MY X IS ALIVE!!!!!!!dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid thank you for the link. Works brilliantly. That's one kick in the junk to Moto. I would rather donate to the devs then ever give moto another penny

"Ambitious but rubbish"-Jezza

scubieman

Reaction score
You could probably flash the phone using the 2.2 ota "system only" sbf created by black hat. You can find instructions. This may help you find it

IT WORKS!!!!!MY X IS ALIVE!!!!!!!dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid thank you for the link. Works brilliantly. That's one kick in the junk to Moto. I would rather donate to the devs then ever give moto another penny

How did you go to PC mode if your stuck in boot M? I heard that you go to the stock recovery and then start up RSDlite and start flashing SPF? Can you confirm this?

UNC

Reaction score

Why hate on Moto? I don't get it...

sephtin

Reaction score

Locked bootloader is the cause of his problem, and reason that there are almost no good solutions out there.
It's doubtful that Moto will stop locking their phones, which makes me sad to say that my DroidX will likely be my last Moto phone/product I'll purchase. If there's a device out there that is more open than what moto provides, I'd buy it even if it meant giving up a sexier screen/camera/etc.

NYDroid

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me too. I installed the Zap ROM and it went smooth. However, I messed up on the part when I installed the 928 deodex theme using ROM manager....which was a big mistake. I was stuck at the M and had to pull battery. Once I did that, the phone did boot. However, it doesn't look the same anymore.

After the boot, all the bloatware came back, which wasn't there before. I had to manually uninstall all of it. However, I still had root, the 928 theme was installed and deodexized. But my facebook is no longer linked to my phone contact.

I tried reinstalling the Zap Rom again thru the Rom manager, which was the same way I did the first time and was successful. However, the 2nd time around had me stuck at the M and I had to pull the battery again.

I'm probabily going to try to install another ROM to start off clean this weekend and go from there.

UNC

Reaction score

Locked bootloader is the cause of his problem, and reason that there are almost no good solutions out there.
It's doubtful that Moto will stop locking their phones, which makes me sad to say that my DroidX will likely be my last Moto phone/product I'll purchase. If there's a device out there that is more open than what moto provides, I'd buy it even if it meant giving up a sexier screen/camera/etc.

More open than Moto..... You mean like the G2..... Oh wait.
So you are basically stuck with Samsung and Bing!!!

Just get the vPhone in January, I'm sure it will be "open".

OP
mjsplicer78

mjsplicer78

Reaction score

How did you go to PC mode if your stuck in boot M? I heard that you go to the stock recovery and then start up RSDlite and start flashing SPF? Can you confirm this?

You have to power up into the bootloader. Hold down power, the volume down button, and the camera button. It will be a black screen with some writing in white. RSD should find your phone in this state and then you can flash the file

NYDroid

Reaction score
And, I decided to get stupid at 6AM this morning to mess with another ROM. It wasn't a good idea since I need to be up at 1PM to go to work. I ended up going to bed at 11AM.

I got stuck on the M too. I d/l Rubix Focus thru Rom Manager (which I'm probabily NOT going to do that anymore from now on). Instead of installing the ROM from there, I Bootstrapped, boot to recovery, format this and that in the order, and......I can't find the stupid Zip File I download from Rom Manager :icon_evil:

I knew I was screwed at that point. Even pulling the battery, raised my fist towards the sky, then begged for forgiveness...nothing worked.

3 hours later, searching thru every thread and post that's got Droid X in it, RSDLite and .SBF saved the day. I ran into a huge issue on RSDLite with the start button grayed out. That took the longest to make it work.

Bottomline, my phone is now back to stock. But I'm happy the phone is up and running. I just wanted to say a big thank you to this forum and keep on rockin!

My phone is now stock, fully charged, and ready for me to get stupid again.

scubieman

Reaction score
And, I decided to get stupid at 6AM this morning to mess with another ROM. It wasn't a good idea since I need to be up at 1PM to go to work. I ended up going to bed at 11AM.

I got stuck on the M too. I d/l Rubix Focus thru Rom Manager (which I'm probabily NOT going to do that anymore from now on). Instead of installing the ROM from there, I Bootstrapped, boot to recovery, format this and that in the order, and......I can't find the stupid Zip File I download from Rom Manager :icon_evil:

I knew I was screwed at that point. Even pulling the battery, raised my fist towards the sky, then begged for forgiveness...nothing worked.

3 hours later, searching thru every thread and post that's got Droid X in it, RSDLite and .SBF saved the day. I ran into a huge issue on RSDLite with the start button grayed out. That took the longest to make it work.

Bottomline, my phone is now back to stock. But I'm happy the phone is up and running. I just wanted to say a big thank you to this forum and keep on rockin!

My phone is now stock, fully charged, and ready for me to get stupid again.

Did you make sure to mount your system before going and restoring/installing a ROM?

Also The only use I found from ROMmanager is rebooting into recovery. Otherwise I found ROM on internet download and transfer via USB to droid then I use install zip from SD card. Otherwise in my opionion I stay away from ROMmanager.

Also how did you install sbf? Like did you have to boot phone to stock recovery then start process? I want to know in case I brick my phone?

sephtin

Reaction score
Did you make sure to mount your system before going and restoring/installing a ROM?

Also The only use I found from ROMmanager is rebooting into recovery. Otherwise I found ROM on internet download and transfer via USB to droid then I use install zip from SD card. Otherwise in my opionion I stay away from ROMmanager.

Also how did you install sbf? Like did you have to boot phone to stock recovery then start process? I want to know in case I brick my phone?

--Regarding mounting /system with rubiX: With any builds of rubiX past the PATCHED version (which includes FIX version).. I helped DRod with a few things on the ROM, including completely re-writing the install script from scratch, so formatting /system is not required. The installer does it for ya.

--Rom Manager: And I've had pretty good luck with ROM Manager. Easier for those who don't want to do it the "hard way".. ;) AND, can list patches there, so simple as checking the box... vs. installing the rom, and searching for all the patches in a thread... ;)

--Pretty sure the recovery he's referring to is stock recov. Just don't try this if you've OTA'd to 2.2 o_O