Alternative Charging Methods

prey

Reaction score
I've had two D1's over the past two years.
I'm also planning on upgrading, probably to the Nexus, whenever it comes out.

But.. I would rather solve this problem before it messes up a new phone.

With both D1's.. Ive had 2 problems.

First.. the charge Cord is extremely too short.
Second.. Where the charging cord plugs into my phone.. wear out & becomes loose. So loose that now the charging cord easily falls out if barely touched.

So..

Is there an alternative way to charge my phone? Ive heard of some kind of "pad" that I can lay my phone on???

also.. do most android phones have the stupidly short cord??

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had two D1's over the past two years.
I'm also planning on upgrading, probably to the Nexus, whenever it comes out.

But.. I would rather solve this problem before it messes up a new phone.

With both D1's.. Ive had 2 problems.

First.. the charge Cord is extremely too short.
Second.. Where the charging cord plugs into my phone.. wear out & becomes loose. So loose that now the charging cord easily falls out if barely touched.

So..

Is there an alternative way to charge my phone? Ive heard of some kind of "pad" that I can lay my phone on???

also.. do most android phones have the stupidly short cord??

With the original Droid you could some times get away with using an aftermarket cord. I used a 15' cord I bought from Monoprice and it worked great.

On the new phones, and my Motorola Bionic in particular, Motorola is telling folks to not use any charger or cord that is not branded Motorola. And yes the usb cable that came with my chargers is very short (3 feet?). I don't know about Samsung phones as I've never had one.

The usb port on the Droids, well any phone usually, can be repaired by the judicious application of a tiny screwdriver to bend the pins or the outside housing a little.

Good luck.

doublea500

Reaction score

Free shipping over $50 then you see the pwermat for the iphone4 selling for $49.99. hahaha

and as for the charging problem-i too have a d1 but heres what i do. i plug in an extension cord to the outlet but i make sure it has room to move around. it really helps because i am able to actually move my droid. and also, my droid usb does not fall out at all. i can lift it up by the cord and it still wouldnt even come close to enough force needed to breakoff. i dont know what it could be. i dont really tug my phone when the cords in it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This happened to my friend's phone, but he's pretty careless with his devices as well. What he did was have a small piece of paper folded up enough to slip between the usb plug and the device and that kept it in place quite well.