Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
TBH, I don't know if going with the S6 is going to be a wise choice. If they are "going back to the drawing board", you know how "first gen" devices usually are....typically full of bugs and issues. It may be an all new design, but it could very well be way too radical of a move from what has worked so well for Samsung in the past. That, and I'm really not seeing the type of excitement on the interwebz that one would expect for this device.
All too often these types of things are so over hyped, then when it's released people end up being really disappointed when it doesn't live up to all the hype that's been built up. IDK, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested, just a bit skeptical after seeing the lackluster Edge sales figures.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If you look at the back of the white one it looks like it has the typical Samsung indent that you stick your fingernail in to remove the back.
I saw that on the white one but the blue one doesn't have the same "indentation" if that's what it is. Also, aren't those thumbnail openings typically on the bottom? Furthermore the old backs clipped to the outer edge of the frame (essentially around the phone), whereas these backs appear to be inset, in other words inside the back edge of the frame and flush with the back. And the entire case appears too thin to support a block style battery with terminals. It looks instead just like the earlier IPhones or the Sony Z3V. These phones had softpak lithium polymer pouch batteries with ribbon cable connectors in order to allow a thinner, flat back, iPhone 5-esque profile.

I don't have much faith in that being a removable back and battery if that's the real images.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The indentation on the S5 is on the top corner of the phone and extremely difficult to find unless you're really looking for it.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
TBH, I don't know if going with the S6 is going to be a wise choice. If they are "going back to the drawing board", you know how "first gen" devices usually are....typically full of bugs and issues. It may be an all new design, but it could very well be way too radical of a move from what has worked so well for Samsung in the past. That, and I'm really not seeing the type of excitement on the interwebz that one would expect for this device.
All too often these types of things are so over hyped, then when it's released people end up being really disappointed when it doesn't live up to all the hype that's been built up. IDK, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested, just a bit skeptical after seeing the lackluster Edge sales figures.

S5 tap'n
I don't know if they will go back to the drawing board, I mean Samsung have played their cards pretty well with how they introduce new ideas. They are conservative with their money makers (Galaxy s and now note phones). All the other devices they treat like live test devices. And they take what they learn and what people like and add that to their next Galaxy s phone or note phablet. We saw that with the Galaxy alpha and note 4. In fact Samsung have been criticized for being too conservative. But though I understand the critics my thing is do not mess with what works. Keep the well oiled machine working making minor adjustments along the way. And continue with the experimental phones that are limited in production to keep from losing their heads on a product that doesn't sell.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Indentation.JPG
The indentation on the S5 is on the top corner of the phone and extremely difficult to find unless you're really looking for it.

S5 tap'n

Ok, but then what is that seemingly obvious slot indentation at the top left of the back on the white phone (top right of the phone back on the pic), and why don't we see a similar mark on the blue one ?

Indentation 2.JPG
Indentation 3.JPG

Again, this isn't a "cover" where it would surround the perimeter of the phone. This is more of a sheet that is either attached via double-sided tape, or perhaps snaps INTO the back inside the perimeter of the bezel. I am still skeptical of the validity of the images, but if that's the actual phone I don't really see how they could easily have a true "block type" plastic casing battery with contacts in that configuration, unless of course the motherboard is only in the upper or lower sections of the phone and maybe along the other end or one or the other sides as daughter boards, leaving a complete void in the middle to allow for such a squared off object.

It is possible, I suppose...

The S5 image below seems to support that possibility but still, it would have to be an awful thin battery.

Si36811-teardown-8.jpg

Last edited:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

S5 tap'n

It's even more difficult to find (and open) on the Note 4

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, it took me a few minutes to find it when I first got my phone because it was in a completely different spot on the S3. Here's a shot of just my back cover, cropped twice and brightened.
gcwOCHR.jpg

Anyways... in an attempt to get this train back on track....I for one am hoping Samsung keeps their backs removable. Not so much for the battery anymore since it easily lasts all day, but for SIM & SD card access. I can't imagine them doing away with it and going the Moto route.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It's even more difficult to find (and open) on the Note 4

Sent from my Note 4

And on my Edge they moved it to just behind the power button on the top of my phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, it took me a few minutes to find it when I first got my phone because it was in a completely different spot on the S3. Here's a shot of just my back cover, cropped twice and brightened.
gcwOCHR.jpg

Anyways... in an attempt to get this train back on track....I for one am hoping Samsung keeps their backs removable. Not so much for the battery anymore since it easily lasts all day, but for SIM & SD card access. I can't imagine them doing away with it and going the Moto route.

S5 tap'n

Ok, but to the point, the case cover you illustrate is formed AROUND the sides of the phone and clips down over the phone back and locks into slots in the sides of the back edge of the phone frame as have been with all the Galaxy and Note phones thus far. The leaked images clearly show no curved edges and the Aluminum edge is flush with the back.

Now it is quite possible that they went with the reverse of this, where the "clips" so to speak, are in the frame, and the "back cover" simply snaps INTO the frame. This would allow the back to be removable, and if the battery is made thin enough it COULD support a removable battery.

I know we're all speculating here, but if those images at the OP are real, I don't expect a removable battery.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Ok, but to the point, the case cover you illustrate is formed AROUND the sides of the phone and clips down over the phone back and locks into slots in the sides of the back edge of the phone frame as have been with all the Galaxy and Note phones thus far. The leaked images clearly show no curved edges and the Aluminum edge is flush with the back.

Now it is quite possible that they went with the reverse of this, where the "clips" so to speak, are in the frame, and the "back cover" simply snaps INTO the frame. This would allow the back to be removable, and if the battery is made thin enough it COULD support a removable battery.

I know we're all speculating here, but if those images at the OP are real, I don't expect a removable battery.

On my Note Edge the back cover is flush with the metal frame that wraps around it. The snaps are built into the body of the phone instead of the sides.