Alleged Samsung Galaxy S6 Prototype Image Leaked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-S6-early-prototype.jpg

The above photograph is supposedly of one of the early prototypes of the Samsung Galaxy S6. If this is accurate (and if Sammy hasn't changed the design during the process), then this matches up with the previous rumors we have heard.

Here at DF HQ, we aren't too sure what to think of this design. On the one hand, it's not too bad overall. On the other, it's a very "safe" choice in design. Samsung has been talking up how they planned to start over with the design process on their Galaxy S series, but this seems like more of the same. What do you think?

Source: Early Samsung Galaxy S6 prototype leaked

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If it's true then they have slimmed down the bezels. A lot.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yawn...

Have to agree. This isn't serious innovation by any means.

Don't get me wrong, there's only so much variance in design possible with a big screen, a button, and a speaker, but if this is it, they haven't really done much.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yawn...

Don't get me wrong, there's only so much variance in design possible with a big screen, a button, and a speaker, but if this is it, they haven't really done much.

You have to imagine it with that case you would usually have wrapped around it ;)

The most important things to me are:

How good is the screen? It's one of the most important aspects of a phone. It doesn't matter how great an OS is if the screen is junk.

What's the included storage space? With the size of system space being hogged by an OS install how much space is left for me?

How is the camera? I've ditched my standalone shooter since the Note 3. I'm no longer a picky photographer, but it has to do good things on Auto mode.

What size is the battery? Does it have a removable one? Is it going to be constrained to adaptive fast charging?

Everything else is hidden by a case. I've only met one person who does not use one and he refuses to upgrade because he likes the size of the i5S.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I go through periods of not using a case. I actually just had my Note 4 out of the case for a week or two before deciding to switch to the secondary case that I bought, but hadn't used much.

Once my devices reach a certain age and I get closer to being ready to upgrade, I also tend to throw more caution to the wind and not use a case.

That said, I can fully agree that looks are only a TINY fraction of what makes me decide to buy a device really. Internal specs, screen, and camera are definitely the main concerns for my money.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... if this is really the final design, I suspect it will flop harder than the Galaxy S5 did. Samsung needs to hire some new people to design the look of their devices. They have grown stale.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah... if this is really the final design, I suspect it will flop harder than the Galaxy S5 did. Samsung needs to hire some new people to design the look of their devices. They have grown stale.

They could always steal HTC's design like Apple did.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would have to say that if that's the design, you can say goodbye to removable batteries. That is clearly a totally flat back as opposed to the curved edges of the removable backs of earlier Samsung phones. Being a flat back almost guarantees that it's not removable, unless it had a slider back like the early Motorola Droids (which it clearly doesn't).

Can't wait for the fallout from this design change. I can hear it now, "No removable battery is a game changer for me, my next phone will not be a Samsung."

We shall see but I'm guessing you saw the last removable back and battery in the S5 and Note 5.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I thought they had a new person in charge of design?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would have to say that if that's the design, you can say goodbye to removable batteries. That is clearly a totally flat back as opposed to the curved edges of the removable backs of earlier Samsung phones. Being a flat back almost guarantees that it's not removable, unless it had a slider back like the early Motorola Droids (which it clearly doesn't).

Can't wait for the fallout from this design change. I can hear it now, "No removable battery is a game changer for me, my next phone will not be a Samsung."

We shall see but I'm guessing you saw the last removable back and battery in the S5 and Note 5.

Though I use my spare battery more as an excuse to play extra games and watch extra videos, I like the idea of it being easily replaced if it should begin to falter, or if I just find my usage large enough to warrant it, even without those extra games and videos.

I'm already thinking of my next device after the Note 4 and already leaning towards giving another oem a chance for my money. Though the removability of the battery won't be THE deciding factor when the time actually comes to upgrade, it's going to be something I consider along with plenty of other specs/info.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

If you look at the back of the white one it looks like it has the typical Samsung indent that you stick your fingernail in to remove the back.

Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yawn...

How much innovation is left?

Not saying we hit a wall as there is always room to improve. But right now we have phones with higher resolution than what some have on their television sets at home. And Samsung is already packing so many features that people quickly lose track of as well as it taking up space.
They need to continue to improve battery life (phones that can go 72 hours on a single charge... can you say flip phones), stronger radios to rival Motorola (which will improve battery life), front facing speakers, and an option to use a theme like changer to switch between heavy touchwiz, light touchwiz, or no skin.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Like I said, there's only so much variance possible. Idk what I'm looking for. I just know this design is a lot like their other phones after they've made all these claims that they're going back to the drawing board in the movie division. Maybe these are still just things they had in the pipeline before their earnings reports though.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk