All-In-One POST ROOT Thread

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the Post-Root Thread. Just rooted and don't know what you can do now? Well heres a big list of many things you can do. Root opens up a whole new world of possibilities but BE WARNED: I nor DroidXForums is responsible for what you do to your phone. Please be familiar with the SBF method (guide here) so if something does happen, you can fix it in a swift manner.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH:

• PLEASE READ (and reread)! you are hacking your phone! this is not something you should just jump right into! take your time to get it right the first time -- itll be worth it!

• FOLLOW ALL GIVEN DIRECTIONS! there there for a reason -- to make your life easier (and mine)

• IF YOU'RE UNSURE, ASK! that's what the forums is for! dont hesitate to seek assistance.
now, on with the options...

Things possible with root:

• unroot (just kidding)
but seriously if you have to take it back to VZW for whatever reason, you need to do this. Z4root has an unroot option in the app once it detects root permissions.
NOTE: just because you unroot with an unroot app or a terminal emulator DOES NOT mean it will remove things you did when rooted. you need to backtrack your steps to remove/undo what you did (e.g. not changing the boot animation back will be a dead give away you were rooted. you have been warned).

• take advantage of root-only apps
There are many root apps that need special permission to run. I will only cover a few that I feel are more popluar, but doing a market search of root will give u more options

-Titanium backup: Such a necessity when it comes to root. It can backup user apps + DATA (can't without root) and make switching ROMs a breeze. It has many other functions like "freezing" apps (deleting the app from the system but keeping it in place to easily restore, or "defrost"), sync to Dropbox (cloud), Batch operations, + schedules for running operations.
*Should be noted Mybackup Pro does have root features too and does backup data (with root) but TiBu IMO has much more features.
-ShootMe/Drocap2: Two popular screen capture apps that basically do that. each have their own options. but the main thing is taking screen shots (which root is needed for) and sharing.
Wireless Tether/Barnicle: Covered Below
Droid X Bootstrap: A necessary tool when it comes to nandroids/ROMs/clockwork. ROM manager (for those who had droid 1's) doesn't work by itself because of the locked bootloader so you need this. It will hijack the boot process to get you into Clockwork for all of your romming/theming needs.
QuickClock/Droid Overclock: Covered Below
Adfree: self explainatory. Root, run this app, install hosts, and you're free of advertisements (for the most part)
Ninjamorph: Covered Below
Root Explorer: A simple filemanager with root properties. Allows u to mount R/W (read-writable, not read only) in other locations beside the SDcard. What does this mean? Well, with this, you can move files around on the phone as you wish. Be careful with what you are doing because deleting/modifying the wrong file can cause disaster!

• modify system framework
basically with root and this app, youre able to unpack files (on the phone), modify what's inside, and repack/apply them within the Ninjamorph app. Good for changing system images or creating your own custom theme. Heres a guide in a bit more detail: [How To] use Ninjamorph to change notification bar icons

• Delete stock applications
with root, you have access to the location of stock apps so you can remove what you don't want running on your phone and clogging up your app drawer. More info here: Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

• Configure sysctl.conf file
This file is used to change kernel parameters. Jrummy has an app on the market to provide a UI for modification of this file. Heres a thread dedicated to maximizing this function: [Tutorial] ROMs & Sysctl.conf & other tweaks!

• change build.prop properties
a lot of properties lie within the /system/build.prop file. Things like modifying the call ring delay, proximity delay, LCD density (like resolution), Wifi scan time, and many others can be done by changing a few numbers in this file. Can be done by pulling it and editing it with a txt editor or with Root Explorer right on the phone. More information can be found here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ll-market.html

• boot animation/boot logo
There are a lot of apps that offer an easy way to do this. Jrummy's app will do this for you. Just for clarification, boot logo = stock M (first thing you see when you turn your phone) and boot animation is the red eye. There's manual ways to change this, also, but I won't get into that.

• ROM
Changing the whole phone's base. Devs modify the stock OS to run more efficiently. More than a theme. There's not too much to say about ROMS so just check out the ROM section on here to get the latest works. Check out this post to learn how to install (and read the thread for that specific ROM for specifics!!!):[How To] Be Ready For Anything

• Back to stock (maderstcok)
Maderschramm has complied an update.zip file that is applied in clockwork that is similar to flashing the 2.3.340 sbf. simpler to use than messing with RSDlite. More info: maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

• Theme
Changing the look and color of your phone. Can be done with or without ROMS BUT only use themes that apply to what youre working with (e.g. a rubix theme while running a non-rubix ROM will cause problems. Don't do it)

• Tether
Wireless Tether & Barnicle are two market apps that will allow you to use your 3G signal to tether (hook up to use the internet) other devices. Be warned this is against verizon's TOS.

• Nandroid Backups
Similar to a system restore point on windows, creating a nandroid backup in Clockwork will backup everything into one .zip file that can be saved for future use. Good as a starting point (right after root; no modifications) so if something does happen, and worst comes to worst you have to SBF, you can just reroot and install the nandroid in clockwork. Also good if your a ROM addict and switch them more than you switch your underwear.

• Overclock
These two apps allow you to change the speed the processor runs at by executing scripts.
Overclocking will give you better phone speed.
Undervolting will give you better battery life.
Since all processors work a bit different, its nice to just play around with the apps (DO NOT set at boot until stable speeds/voltages are found) to find workable configurations.

• Undervolt
Turning down the speed/lowering the voltages that is required to run the processor. Overclock apps will allow you to do this. Quickclock will help you find proper VSELs for your phone.

if you have any suggestions please list them and ill include what i see fit.

As always, if you have a question, feel free to ask
smile.png

Last edited:

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is great abe! Maybe throw in a pitch for Root Explorer?

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its in there lol

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Lol. I'm on Tapatalk.. skimmed over it.

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
haha no prob. its on DxF too so feel free to throw some suggestions and ill add them

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
added a bit more to it.

campergrrl

Reaction score
Ok, new here, new DX owner been up most of the night and all of the morning trying to get my DX rooted so that I can do the tether thing. I have a laptop and can't seem to get the app DL's to my Droid. My question is...if I save the app to my card and then put the card in the Droid will that work? I don't want to do anything fancy at this time I just want to be able to use the wifi feature. Thanks

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
What a great write up Abe...I'm book marking it for when im ready to root.. I'm still in the"reading up" stage. Thanks again!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Mutant

Reaction score
i just wanna access the 3g signal and have no knowledge of any of this and dont know what im doin any help maybe?

oh i have no service any more

Last edited:

campergrrl

Reaction score
I went here for my Droid X after many hours of frustration, worked like a charm! [video=youtube;zLSn2Wg4h_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSn2Wg4h_4]YouTube - How to Root your Droid X 2.2.1 Froyo[/video] Good luck my friend.

Aben

Reaction score
So I'm new to the world of rooting and am a bit technologically retarded. I don't suppose we could get a vocab section? Like what is a ROM?

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score