Alarm clock that allows you to use your own mp3?

waylman

Reaction score
I'm looking for an alarm clock that allows you to choose an mp3 for your alarm...I'm very surprised the stock alarm clock does not allow you to do this (unless I'm missing something!)

Thanks for any suggestions.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup -- just place the MP3 in the Alarms folder on your SD Card. IIRC there's an app that allows you to select any notification/song if you prefer that approach.

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've also used RingDroid to make ringtones that I then set as alarms.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Take a look at Gentle Alarm. It'll fade in your mp3 so you wake up right when it gets to the volume that wakes you, rather than coming on at full volume and ejecting you from your pillow. It can also automatically try to wake you 30 minutes before your alarm time. The developer cites some research that based on deep and shallow sleep cycles, it can actually be far better to wake up 30 minutes earlier in a shallow cycle than it is to wake up in a deep cycle at your normal alarm time.

I have been using Gentle Alarm for two months now, and I find that some days I wake to the pre-alarm and some days I wake to the alarm. With my sleep cycles, one of them comes on at a time that I'm in shallow sleep. If I'm in deep sleep during the pre-alarm, it isn't loud enough to wake me.

In two months, I have never been annoyed or jarred by my alarm. I also rarely feel groggy when I get up, even if I get up 30 minutes early for the pre-alarm.

srothkin

Reaction score
Is there any alarm clock app that will simply start the mp3 player (continuing playlist/shuffle from where it was last paused) rather than playing just a single mp3?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is there any alarm clock app that will simply start the mp3 player (continuing playlist/shuffle from where it was last paused) rather than playing just a single mp3?

I don't think so. It's certainly possible to design/engineer one but I think it would require that the alarm clock app to communicate with and instantiate a particular media player.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score

I don't think so. It's certainly possible to design/engineer one but I think it would require that the alarm clock app to communicate with and instantiate a particular media player.

You might try AppAlarm...you can launch any App you want on a schedule (I use it to wake up to Pandora), but I think if you can figure it out, it has an option called Custom Intent which I think lets you launch an app, then run a few commands.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You might try AppAlarm...you can launch any App you want on a schedule (I use it to wake up to Pandora), but I think if you can figure it out, it has an option called Custom Intent which I think lets you launch an app, then run a few commands.
Thanks for the heads up about AppAlarm. I'm going to give this a try and see if it will wake me up to Slacker on my Tool channel. Maynard will wake me up.

Dawizman

Reaction score
Gentle Alarm allows you to use a .m3u playlist as your alarm. It automatically shuffles the playlist every time, so you wake up to a new song each time it goes off.

zero7starz

Reaction score
Kaloer Clock lets you use an MP3 too.

Thanks for the tip about putting it into the Alarms folder- so simple yet I never thought of it. I've been wanting to use the actual dock alarm app as my alarm instead of having to switch back to Kaloer all the time- now I don't have to :)