After deleting a number from a contact list, it re-appears

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S8. When I delete a phone number from a contact, it seems to take effect, but when I check the contact again, the number is still there.

Details as follows:
  • Select Contacts.
  • Select an entry (in this case, my Dad). There are two "Home" numbers listed; the old and the new (entered about a week ago).
  • Press Edit.
  • Under "Phone", press the "-" symbol next to the desired number. It is removed from the list.
  • Press Save.
  • When the contact details are displayed again, the deleted number is still there.
I've googled and several response say to either clear the specific Samsung app (don't know which one) or to clear system cache. I have not cleared the system cache yet - waiting to see if there's another solution.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hmmm .. are you contacts maybe syncing with another source ? Are they strictly on Samsung contacts ?

Note10+

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yeah I was thinking maybe you have your contacts sync up to Google contacts.. If so check contacts from sign in to Google

Note10+

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I for one hate the entire setup. I don't use VZW cloud, or any other backup other than Google, yet my contacts can show a home address 3 times. It takes them from Facebook (which I have an account but never use) also. Sorry for the rant, and I know it's not helping, but the whole setup is dumb if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking maybe you have your contacts sync up to Google contacts.. If so check contacts from sign in to Google

Note10+
I don't think I have Google Contacts. Because 1) Selecting it in Gmail sent me to Google Play. 2) Didn't see it in the Google group icon on the phone.

Also, checked in Gmail under Settings > General Settings, and could not find anything that references syncing.

Any other thoughts on where to look? Or to what else my phone might be syncing to?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Contacts app > overflow menu / hamburger menu / three dot menu - depending on phone model > what "Account" are Contacts synced with? This tells you whether they are synced with your Google account, Samsung account, local only, etc.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk