ADW Launcher in Market

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm leaning back towards LauncherPro, because it continues to be smooth even at stock 550mhz CPU speed.

I run BBv1 at 1ghz, but have it go down to 550mhz when charging. I've got ADW running pretty smoothly at 1ghz. However, the zoom animation of the app drawer is very jittery at 550. I switched over to LauncherPro to see how it would perform at stock speed, and it was just as smooth at 550 as it was overclocked.

I often use my phone while it's charging via USB at my desk at work, so I'd like to see ADW improve in this area.

Last edited:

Spartan

Reaction score
How does one set the right and left action buttons on the bottom? I set up the dock, but can't seem to figure out how to set those 2 buttons. I'm really loving this launcher over Helix...no lag.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
LauncherPro is my current default launcher....

I just played with ADW for about 1/2 an hour....wow. Changing the desktop scroll speed makes a HUGE difference. (For that LauncherPro feel, set it to 0) The way it does screen preview is nice. It fades out after u pick the screen if window animations are on in the sound & display settings. Turn windows animations off for no fade. I prefer that, makes it faster.

No pinch zoom screen preview, (I'm not too fond of it, I think using the home key to do that is better anyway.) An odd lil quirk just happened: I had to put the phone in landscape to drag icons on the LAB and for both AB's to accept new icons. Its fine in normal mode now.

2 things I love about this that Launcher Pro doesnt have:

1. Nav Dots. I very much like this and missed this. I can actually tell which screen is the first and last without using the screen previews. And u can long press on the dots and it brings up screen preview. It also previews the screens on that side of the dock: Example, if you are on screen 3, and press the left dots, it previews the screens only on that side of the dots.

2. You can turn off the bounce after first/last page....I HATE that bounce!! LOL! I hate it so bad, I tried to port a launcher from one ROM to another...I finally just gave up and settled for the bounce cuz that launcher was faster/smoother. I still settled for the bounce with LauncherPro.

LauncherPro now has an update where u can change the 4 icons now. Thats a big step in the right direction for LP. I was always hesitant about installing ADW cuz it seemed like too much of a hassle, even tho someone said u could just install the .apk instead of doing update.zip (this is before it was on the Market)

Right now, just for the non-bounce and the Nav dots, and the the other customizations, just that quick, ADW is my default. LP is still there tho. This is the first time since having my phone and using different launchers that I may actually switch back n forth between 2 launchers, to have 14 screens at my disposal. Amazing work from both devs. Simply amazing.

Big Thank You to the dev for making the install easier by putting ADW on the Market.

Srry, i didnt mean for this to be a review...:p

Last edited:

GrillMouster

Reaction score
How does one set the right and left action buttons on the bottom? I set up the dock, but can't seem to figure out how to set those 2 buttons. I'm really loving this launcher over Helix...no lag.

Drag an app icon right on the spots.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Spartan,

If dragging icons doesnt work right, I just posted about a lil quirk that happened to me: I had to rotate the phone and drag icons on the AB's while rotated for the LAB to work and for both AB's to accept new icons. Its fine now in regular mode.

Last edited:

Spartan

Reaction score
Spartan,

If dragging icons doesnt work right, I just posted about a lil quirk that happened to me: I had to rotate the phone and drag icons on the AB's while rotated for the LAB to work and for both AB's to accept new icons. Its fine now in regular mode.

Thanks jroc. That's took a little bit, but it worked.dancedroid Appreciate the help. Developer may want to consider going to the green lights like on the dock.

image911

Reaction score
This launcher really isn't all that it could be.

Like many, I have sampled my share of home launchers, looking for that Nervana experience where everything works perfectly - and after giving this a spin on my Verizon Wireless's unrooted DROID - running 2.1.1 - I have to say it really is NOT as smooth and problem free as LauncherPRO 3.0, not as robust as Home++. The Head Chef at LauncherPRO is rumored to be updating it's recipe to an even newer and more feature loaded app; can't wait. Sadly, Home++ would be the BEST home launcher, hands down, if only it was not so prone to FC or be as buggy and not quite as responsive as LauncherPRO is (say, for accessing the Phone's Dialer/Contacts... it's dog slow in Home++).

Still, Nice job. Sure shows promise.

And the race is on; may the best program app win!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Someone posted that for desktop scrolling 250 is a good blend of snap and smooth, 750 is recommended settings in the first post...I said put 0 for LP feel.... I tried 26 that someone posted some pages back..I tried 100 that someone posted a few pages back too....

I think somewhere between 0 and 100 is that LP feel. I tried 750....its good for continuous scrolling but it doesnt feel like LP. If you go 'page, stop, page, stop' I think between 0 and 100 is the LP feel.

I currently got mine on 26.

vmann32

Reaction score
Well I have played with both in the last couple days.Let me start by saying I have used helix 1 for a while and I like it alot,I use to love it till I started messing with ADW and LP.I like the 4 shortcuts and was not aware of LP having the 4 shortcuts.ADW has the 2 main and 6 hidden which is growing on me.But the ADW has some issues with bettercut and I happen to like bettercut alot.I have deleted all launchers except ADW and LP.Hope ADW fixes that issue so I can give it a fair shake.but either way no going back to Helix unless they work on it.

I noticed another thing about LP is I try ti install Handcent in the #2(from left) shortcut slot and it goes there but after a few minutes the icon disappears.Handcent still opens but the icon is gone.All the others stay.I should try to put handcent in a different slot see if it stays.

Ok ADW update in the market still does not fix the bettercut issue but at least they are trying.

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love this thing!

I'm sure dev will post updates that will add 2 more shortcuts.

Amazing!

OP
TekHawk

TekHawk

Reaction score
TekHawk, the settings you posted for desktop scrolling work well for me. What are you using for the zoom effect speed for animated app drawer?

there is an option to change that!?!?! ill let you know when i get it dialed in lol

honestly im going with 300 the lowest on that one just because i like the animation but do not want to wait around for it to finish

OP
TekHawk

TekHawk

Reaction score
Someone posted that for desktop scrolling 250 is a good blend of snap and smooth, 750 is recommended settings in the first post...I said put 0 for LP feel.... I tried 26 that someone posted some pages back..I tried 100 that someone posted a few pages back too....

I think somewhere between 0 and 100 is that LP feel. I tried 750....its good for continuous scrolling but it doesnt feel like LP. If you go 'page, stop, page, stop' I think between 0 and 100 is the LP feel.

I currently got mine on 26.

i see what you mean with that i still like the 750 but i use the priveiw to page flip when i have more then 3 homes screens and since i have a folder in my dock for games and then my top 5 apps next to that im using my screens only for widgets so no need for more then 3