Adobe to end new Flash installs on Aug 15th - No Jelly Bean support

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Adobe-to-end-new-Flash-installs-on-Aug-15th-no-Jelly-Bean-support.jpg

Since the announcement of Jelly Bean, Adobe has come forward reiterating that Flash Player will eventually not be supported on mobile devices. In fact, they just posted in their blog and made it clear that Flash Player is not supported at all on Google's new OS Android 4.1/Jelly Bean. Of course, older devices, or devices that come pre-loaded with Flash and have been certified by Adobe will still function with Flash. In the past, all you had to do was grab a copy of flash player from the Google Play Store and it would probably work with your uncertified device.

Unfortunately, Adobe confirmed that with the release of Android 4.1, they will not certify any device with that OS. Additionally, Adobe indicated that on August 15th, it will configure Flash Player currently in the Play Store to only update devices that already have Flash installed. If the device does not have it installed, then it will not be authorized to download it from the Google Play Store. Additionally, Adobe shared that any device that is upgraded from Android 4.0 to 4.1 will still have Flash Player, they recommend uninstalling it because it will be buggy. It's possible this is mostly a scare tactic, and it may still be mostly functional. Of course when we get to that point in the road it will probably be possible to find the APK online.

By Garemlin at TransformerForums

Source: Phonearena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've had ICS on my DroidX for quite some time now and haven't had flash because of no hardware rendering ability. I haven't really missed it.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I can web browse on my A**le i*ad for hours, and visit a ton of sites that I know use flash video and animations, and those videos and animations are still there and still fully alive. A lost of websites are silently (more along the lines of "invisible to us consumers") moving to HTML 5 now along side Flash.

Even on my Android phones I've had in the past, I never had flash installed. Never needed it and never missed it.

I'm thinking this is the final blow to Flash, looks like it'll be almost completely dead by the end of the year.

I'm sure people with itch and complain about it, but they probably don't know they can still use the content cause its already jumped to HTML 5 anyways. Time to move one people. This transition has been completely invisible to us consumers.

Natey2

Reaction score
So which mobile devices will use Flash moving forward? Not iPhone, not Android, ...
Is HTML-5 the replacement? Maybe it will be QuickTime or SilverLight.
Heh heh heh ;)

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Natey2

Reaction score
I've had ICS on my DroidX for quite some time now and haven't had flash because of no hardware rendering ability. I haven't really missed it.

I have Flash on my DroidX (running Android 2.3.4), so it's not the hardware.
I also have Flash on my generic tablet running ICS Android 4.0.3.

Many websites out there use Flash.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So which mobile devices will use Flash moving forward? Not iPhone, not Android, ...
Is HTML-5 the replacement? Maybe it will be QuickTime or SilverLight.
Heh heh heh ;)

Pretty sure HTML5 will be the replacement, its the only open source open standard available now. Silverlight constrained under M$ and QuickTime constrained under A**le.

They all have pros and cons though, like the Facebook app for instance, built completely on HTML5, which is why its soooo slow. The reason they did that was because it works on all platforms without having to rewrite from ground up. But, so many people have voiced how slow the app is, and so they are rewriting the Facebook app from the ground up for each platform so its faster.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have Flash on my DroidX (running Android 2.3.4), so it's not the hardware.
I also have Flash on my generic tablet running ICS Android 4.0.3.

Many websites out there use Flash.

ICS roms on the DroidX don't have hardware rendering worked out yet. Its a bug and Flash doesn't work, neither does the Chrome browser. ICS isn't the problem, but the fact that devs managed to get ICS on the DroidX and that bug is seemingly difficult to work out. When I ran stock, flash worked just fine and it worked great on my Transformer Prime on ICS.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still been to a number of sites when using a friend's iPad and lots of things were still flash rendered and weren't showing up. I understand the push to get rid of Flash, but they should wait until html-5 is fully implemented. Whateva.

Natey2

Reaction score
Pretty sure HTML5 will be the replacement, its the only open source open standard available now. Silverlight constrained under M$ and QuickTime constrained under A**le.

Maybe Google will release its own animation engine, e.g. Googlemation - Google's answer to Flash/QuickTime/SilverLight, which runs especially well on Android devices but slows down iOS devices. :^)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe Google will release its own animation engine, e.g. Googlemation - Google's answer to Flash/QuickTime/SilverLight, which runs especially well on Android devices but slows down iOS devices. :^)

I did like this statement earlier, but I had not had lunch yet. After lunch, I realized that HTML 5 is for all platforms, and not proprietary. It's the future.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about going back to ginger bread....

Hopefully an older version works.