Able to use Case with Standard Dock?

RuthWt

Reaction score
I just bought the Bionic, and one of the issues I had with my original DROID, was that I had to remove the case if I wanted to use any of the docks, car or desktop. I HATED that. When I bought the BIONIC, I was told by the salesman that Motorola had sent out the specs early so that manufacterers could make cases that could be left on when docked. It didn't work for me. Has anyone had similar experience?

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Well, I have the Incipio case on mine, and while it does fit into the dock just fine, it does not allow the phone to engage the USB tongue to activate the actual dock program (or charge etc.).

OP
R

RuthWt

Reaction score
My TPU case/skin fits perfect in the car dock

I guess I should have been more clear...my phone will fit in the dock, it just doesn't make a connection with the port to charge it. I don't know about the car dock, does that charge the phone too?

JRobzilla

Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear...my phone will fit in the dock, it just doesn't make a connection with the port to charge it. I don't know about the car dock, does that charge the phone too?

Yes, you can plug your car charger into the back of the dock. I'm not sure how thin a case / skin needs to be for it to engage the USB jack but the Incipio case is pretty thin but still no dice.

wseyller

Reaction score
Yes, you can plug your car charger into the back of the dock. I'm not sure how thin a case / skin needs to be for it to engage the USB jack but the Incipio case is pretty thin but still no dice.

charging works with the tpu case in the car dock

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Mine fits in the car dock and charges but it won't trigger car mode....to far from magnet? where is the trigger magnet located in the car dock? I just got the silicone case from verizon....

MC20

Reaction score
You need to remove the piece of black plastic from the standard dock around the usb plug. It pulls off to allow cases to be used.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Both the standard (desk) dock and car dock have removable inserts. Removing the insert on the standard dock seems to physically work fine for me with the shell/holster combo, but the clock app often does not start and the fit is rather snug (I have to hold down the dock to remove the phone).

The car/navigation dock is another story. Like the standard dock, the formation of the slot clearly indicates that it's intended to be used with the extended battery, so you would think that removing the insert would allow it to work with a case. But when I try to insert the phone in the dock, one of two things happen: 1) the USB plug is not aligned with the connector on the phone (it's misaligned by about the thickness of the case), or 2) the plug goes into the connector, but the phone is tilted so far forward that the retaining clip on top doesn't reach over the phone (and trying to force it makes it feel like something is going to break).

Has anyone seen (and preferably have a link to, or picture of) a written claim by either Verizon or Motorola indicating that the phone with a case (which cases?) should fit into these docks?

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Update: messing around with the dock I got it to work....had to just press in firmly to get the USB tounge to engage and now it
works well. If your case doesn't have a cutout around the charge port it won't fit right and you will need to cut/trim for it to work. like I said my case is the carbon look silicone case verizon sells..

Seawolf

Reaction score
Motorola makes a case for the Bionic specifically designed to fit in the home dock and car dock. It comes with a separate belt clip case the phone slides into and also has the large back to accomodate the extended battery.
It's a little tight, but even with the extended battery it fits in the home dock and car dock just fine. To my knowledge it's the only Bionic+Ext Batt case available right now. Hopefully case makers will start putting out someother options as the VZW case works, but is not what I would call "The perfect case"

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Motorola makes a case for the Bionic specifically designed to fit in the home dock and car dock. It comes with a separate belt clip case the phone slides into and also has the large back to accomodate the extended battery.
It's a little tight, but even with the extended battery it fits in the home dock and car dock just fine. To my knowledge it's the only Bionic+Ext Batt case available right now. Hopefully case makers will start putting out someother options as the VZW case works, but is not what I would call "The perfect case"

Are you referring to the shell/holster combo sold by Verizon, or something else? I see no indication that the one Verizon sells is made by Motorola.