A Plan For A Brighter Android Future

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Recent update:

The Following Is Pulled From Here: The Little Aussie Taking on Motorola U.S. | Ausdroid

If you have been following the Android forums, Twitter feeds, news sites and been listening to our podcast over the past couple of months, you will have noticed a hot topic amongst the Android Power Users about locked bootloaders and the Australian who is trying to take on Motorola U.S. to free their Android devices.

In late January this year, Motorola made an announcement on their Facebook page stating that they would be working on a bootloader solution that would support developers while protecting end users. This announcement coincided with some bad press received from their Motorola Atrix 4G video posted on YouTube, when asked in comments if the bootloader would be unlocked a Motorola representative advised the commenter that if they were after an unlocked bootloader, to look elsewhere. A media storm ensued and the subsequent Facebook announcement was made.

Read on after the break to see how one determined Aussie took the fight to Motorola.
This is where the story gets interesting, Irwin Proud from Melbourne, Australian decided to pick up the Motorola Atrix 4G from the United States as it was the first readily available consumer dual core Android phone of 2011. Irwin purchased the phone in the hopes that Motorola would indeed follow through with their Facebook announcement, thus allowing the high end customisation, such as CyanogenMod. After receiving the phone in late February and later finding out that the bootloader was not unlocked Irwin contacted Motorola to find out if they actually had any intention of unlocking the bootloader of the device. After 3 emails and 1 snail mail letter sent, to which no response was received from Motorola, Irwin decided to start an online petition using a site called Groubal.

The Motorola Locked/Encrypted Bootloader Policy petition was started on the 10th March 2011 and in just over a month has accumulated 8,500 signatures. There has been numerous coverage from Android specific news sites and has even spurred on a Facebook page that has over 500 supporters with the sole purpose of bombarding Motorola’s Facebook page with bootloader questions.

Since Irwin began his online campaign he has since received an update from Motorola as follows:
“In terms of your question – we completely understand the operator requirement for security to the end user, and as well, want to support the developer communities desire to use these products as a development platform. It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM across our portfolio of devices starting in late 2011, where carriers and operators will allow it.”
This was a huge step forward from Motorola and an admission of the possibility of them following in the footsteps of Sony Ericsson who recently changed their Bootloader Policy to allow users with a carrier unlocked phone to open the bootloader across their 2011 range of Xperia devices.

Irwin is still pursuing this further and will continue to do so until something concrete is released or announced from Motorola.

It’s good to see such a positive result from Motorola and even better seeing that result come from the actions of one little Australian.

We will be following Irwin’s actions closely and keep the community updated as the story develops.

This certainly isn't the final word, but its a step in the right direction.

{{ WugFresh }}

Well that is good news :) Wish it could be a little sooner but at least they're doing it. Of course, a part of me thinks they won't, but we'll see...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No carrier will allow it. That statement by moto is just a way to pass the buck on the responsibility. "Yeah, we are going to do this, but if the carriers don't allow it you SOL".

Pure PR.

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
No carrier will allow it. That statement by moto is just a way to pass the buck on the responsibility. "Yeah, we are going to do this, but if the carriers don't allow it you SOL".

Pure PR.

That is certainly what it sounds like. Seeing that we already knew that Verizon was the one pushing the lock down in the first place, this is not that farfetched at all. The carriers still may have substantial interest in seeing that these devices are locked down, for the reasons previously discussed.

The primary ones being: Tethering, and potential increase in warranty claims.

I think we can agree that the warranty claim issue can easily be dealt with by utilizing policy changes similar to Sony. As in... once you unlock, no more full replacement warranty. Customers would have to pay the replacement fee with their insurance provider.. ect.

The real issue is the tethering. However, it seems that they are devising something rather intricate to deal with that.

On your GB device, check out the database file here (using SQLite):
/data/data/com.motorola.android.datamanager/databases/DataManager.db

Then check the subgroup: per_uid_usage

What you will notice is that this database contains a long list of all of your data usage. This database is unique to GB. The UID shows up as 0 whenever you tether. My guess is that this information is/can be pinged back via motoblur sync.

The system app, DataManagerServices.apk appears to be responsible for this recording.

We won't know how the full system works until the full OTA comes out, but my guess is that this recording and tether tracking will be integrated into system apps which are crucial to the device functioning. This is just speculation though.

It does appear that there is going to be a shift towards tiered data... but will they keep tethering separate. I have a feeling they will because why wouldn't they charge extra if they can get away with it.

However, a public statement, regardless if it currently exists as PR (which is most probably the case), is a statement none the less. This claim by moto has strong implications and denotes a time frame (regardless if they truly mean it). Within that time frame we can spread their words and try to strengthen the voice of the developer customer base. It is much easier to formulate a reasonable argument when you are using the words of the opposition. All we are asking now is that they see to their promise, that they follow through on their claims, and that they keep us informed. I still believe that developer option can exist and that a public recognition of the demand by moto is an important step. These statements will only increase exposure and bring more media attention to the topic.

This is a legitimate demand by their customer base and I think that it can be possible if a solidified plan for tethering is put into effect and to me it seems that they are already working on that.

Thank you for pointing out the subtext czedrill and that this is truly a PR move, but recognition is certainly a step in the right direction and we can use their corporate promises to further promote the cause. Before this all begun they did not have to speak on the issue, now they do. We made it a "public" issue that was important enough for their public relations to deal with. Now that they made a promise, our voice has been corporately legitimized. This only improves our chances of succeeding, however large or non-existent you perceive those chances to really be. I personally believe that we are moving in the right direction and that we very well may see unlocked devices by Q4 of 2011.

I haven't posted in this thread in a little while but please do not assume that means that I have not been working on this. I recently have established a contact which might prove to be very successful in this regard. At this point, I cannot say that definitely, but I am optimistic of this new opportunity. I will go into detail at a later date.

Thank you all who have been actively participating in this thread and helping spread the message. Apparently we were loud enough for moto to hear us. Lets keep that same energy moving forward and request answers from Verizon now. We shall continue moving forward in the same professional and business minded manner. The worst that happens is that we are turned down. If we are persistent and keep spreading the message and plans can be devised that cover the service providers interests, then this can be done... at least I believe so.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

cougar214

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem we are facing is getting the service providers out of the age old habit of branding us hackers and buying themselves new laws to protect their bottom line. I'm sure a lot of you don't agree with me on this but the fact of the matter is these companies have the money to get what they want.

The old adage says "money talks". So yes, they use their money and influence to get laws passed to protect their profits. You have some great ideas there. Bringing us to the surface from the "underground" and working WITH the providers and developers is and should be the future of this business.

I believe at the end of the day, you get my money for service. Paid in full every month. I am holding up my end of the bargain. Why shouldn't I/we be allowed to have a completely unlocked phone to do with as I/we please?

You have my support. Lets get these people on both sides of the fence working together to reach a compromise everyone is happy with. I'm sure as long as they can make money they will be willing to listen.

And lets be realistic here people, It IS all about making money. So if we root users can come up with ideas that will satisfy their needs, maybe they will be willing to satisfy our needs as well. It's a win/win scenario.

patfactorx

Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is that we have 4 carriers who are facing the reality that their profits are shrinking cuz no one wants to pay for minutes and text messaging anymore. They gotta gouge hard and fast or else they going to lose stock price.

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem is that we have 4 carriers who are facing the reality that their profits are shrinking cuz no one wants to pay for minutes and text messaging anymore. They gotta gouge hard and fast or else they going to lose stock price.

I am beginning to think the problem is that dsl and broadband would effectively lose their competitive advantage over tethering if the companies began making the prices reasonable. I think they are trying to protect their past industry and slow down the progression towards full blown all-encompassing wireless data networks, even though the technology already exists. There has simply been too much money and physical infrastructure invested in ethernet technology. They cannot afford to make the quick shift and render massively widespread technology obsolete over night, nor can they profitability afford to bulk invest in the 4G infrastructure necessary to support the world's data needs over night. So rather than pricing the technology fairly, they are literally controlling the progression towards new internet technology by reducing the pace in which the old technology is being phased out and by overcharging for the new and obviously more efficient/practical technology. Obviously end users would prefer to only pay for one data bill that effectively covered all of their needs... but service providers aren't willing to completely topple their current pricing schemes and let that happen in a way that's actually significantly cheaper for the customers? Why? Because no company wants to start charging significantly less if they have already been profitability getting away with charging more. I believe that eventually tether prices will be what they should be, but only after a slow and calculated plan is carried out by the service providers to mediate this transition. I believe that tethering is the primary factor working against the bootloader issue. So this needs to be addressed first. I have been working very hard on a write up specifically pertaining to the tethering issue and thinking of ways to address it head on. I think that this tethering initiative will be very effective because it pertains to the needs of all customers... not just root users. In fact it pertains specifically to the business class customers. By tackling the tethering issue, we will have a much better chance of getting unlocked devices. At least that's how I presently see it. Stay tuned for more updates and information on this revised focus.

{{ WugFresh }}

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
I'm currently going through this thread page-by-page and have come to 3 conclusions.

1. Coming and going from the community is not good for the psyche as I have no idea where this came from, what the big P3 argument thing was, or anything else about what's been going on.

2. 2 mch readng mkes me brain mad

3. This looks like a good idea, I think.

4. Are there some cliffnotes/sparknotes or a log that I can use to catch up on everything

EDIT: I've given up on reading this thread. The back & forth has simply become too much for me. I think I'll come back when everything pans out.

Last edited:

hatcyl

Reaction score
Ill keep it short. We are fighting for the wrong thing, there are bigger problems.

1. Every smartphone user is FORCED to buy a $30 data plan. An average user uses 100MB a month ... that should cost about $10.
2. We are paying for ridicolous prices for Voice + Text + Web. Then we are restricted from VOIP solutions. ITS ALL JUST DATA!
3. We are being ripped off with phone prices. Why does an iPod Touch cost $230 and an iPhone cost $600?
4. We are restricted from using Tethering with our $30 unlimited plan, and then we are forced to keep bloatware on our phones!

I think we should fight this stuff first.

As for rooters:
The truth is MOST rooters are bad for business for the reasons stated in the OP (use more data, tether for free, probably pirate apps, break phones and use warranty)
There is no way we can make rooters look good. I read 5 pages on this thread and didn't read an idea were rooters made the carriers more money.

That's it:
I'm not a rooter myself (no reason, I like stuff as clean as possible) but I am a developer.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

hatcyl

Reaction score
One more thing:

There is no way we can change anything. Verizon is making a ton of money on regular users.

If want things to change we have to stop buying ...

Or

We have to fight legal with legal ... let's start by getting rid of that forced data plan :scheme_face:

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm currently going through this thread page-by-page and have come to 3 conclusions.

1. Coming and going from the community is not good for the psyche as I have no idea where this came from, what the big P3 argument thing was, or anything else about what's been going on.

2. 2 mch readng mkes me brain mad

3. This looks like a good idea, I think.

4. Are there some cliffnotessparknotes or a log that I can use to catch up on everything

EDIT: I've given up on reading this thread. The back & forth has simply become too much for me. I think I'll come back when everything pans out.

I'm a little confused on your first point? Was that an accusation or a question? Can you please clarify..? I am honestly really confused on that one.

Point 2. Lol. Reading is a good thing lol. No worries though, you are certainly entitled to your opinions. There's definitely things that I prefer not to read.

Point 3. Thank you, I think... lol. I honestly don't think it's a good idea yet myself, but I think it's getting closer and that we as a community are in fact getting closer to achieving our goals. My plan is more solidified, and I have made some valuable connections. I also just finished up my school semester, so besides android development, I am finally free to give this project a more full time commitment. There are lots of things I really wanted to do that haven't been able to since I was swamped. I plan on making a lot of progress in the near future. I will really happy to keep this thread updated with new advancements (hopefully). :) so I am glad that you kinda like it as is, but like I said, there's still a lot more work that needs to be done. The one thing that is really good is that I feel like I understand the scope of the problem a lot more than I originally did, which will certainly help as I attempt to move forward with this.

4... lol. I don't think so. I can't really do that, but I will promise to release an updated op sometime this week that will attempt to highlight some of the key advancements, revisions and criticisms of the plan that have already been discussed up to this point. That is the best I can do regarding summaries... still will be a read, but at least it will be all there rather than being randomly spread throughout all these pages of back and discussion. I can't spark note though lol. I can try to make a real executive summary though maybe... I hope that would help.

Regarding your edit.. lol. You gave up already. Lol. You just started participating. I hope you will at least take the time to clarify your first point. Thanks. :)

{{ WugFresh }}