A Plan For A Brighter Android Future

Doulandroid

Reaction score
Guys I finally did it, I cracked the bootloader. I have been secretly working on this while these threads have been taking place. Moto wouldn't let me take pictures of how I did it but I drew this picture but the picture is so well made it's like looking at a real life photo of how I did it.

That looks legit, putting the code into ADB now. Can somebody work on a one click method? Two lanes and multiple boots(as shown) too complex for casual firebrands. Thanks in advance, and somebody please port iOS to my bionic. :p

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Umm I'm entitled to a subsidized phone and unlimited data with tethering included. Clearly I would never consider doing what you suggest. Rather, carriers should conform to my needs even if it ends up costing them.

/silly mentality

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Please stop undermining the true intention of this thread. The reason why I often get frustrated with your posts because many of them are ridiculously condescending. I know that I am guilty of using that tone a few times myself but I certainly don't do it nearly every post like yourself. Your debate tactic seems to be heavily grounded in belittling your oppositions intelligence/understanding, inferring that you are correct by default, and then using mockery just to be snide and belittle your opposition some more.

I understand the urge to take that tone when you feel your opponent in debate is entirely wrong, but please refrain from that kind of response regardless. A lot of your comments are uncalled for, and even though you may be using them to help make your point you are making this thread more of an argument than a constructive discussion. I am not suggesting that some of your points through out this thread weren't valid but they are mixed in with condescending and belittling statements, often structured as a direct attack at the individual you are having a disagreement with. Please stop these kinds of posts, they do not help anyone, just get people frustrated, and further derail this discussion. You do not have to be a dick to prove a point, if you feel that you do... then please consider Pm'ing those individuals you feel like going after.

The above quoted text has no constructive qualities whatsoever, it aggravates me because you know very well that this is not at all what this thread is about, but instead is the perfect summary of exactly the opposite thing this thread is aimed to achieve. This idea is geared towards determining how to make it financially beneficial for carriers while coming to a middle ground on pricing and features, it has nothing to do with how carriers should spend more money to conform to our needs.. that statement demonstrates to me that after endless debate you have yet to take away anything from your opposition at all. Although I have I have disagreed with you on many points, I have at least recognized the validity of some of your statements or the reasoning behind them. You however have literally dismissed every single thing that has been brought up, if its not directly in line with your original mindset. If that's your intention.. what's the point of the discussion in the first place...? Just to be right? Ok, your right on everything, does that make you feel better now? Can you stop with this attitude now? Please?

{{ WugFresh }}

Agreed and I apologize

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No problem. To your merit you identified some of the key areas of the plan that needed revisions when looking at this more critically from a corporate perspective. And I will be first to admit that at this point I cannot confidently assert that my plan as it exists today adequately addresses all of these areas, but that is why I am still working on it and adding to the original idea. By the end of this week I hope to revise the op with all the new ideas I presented thus far (once they are a little more clear in my mind), and then after that, I plan on continuing forward from there and aiming to tackle the rest of the problems with the plan. Through this process of revisions and critical analysis the plan will only strengthen every round until hopefully the final idea will be viable enough for me to consider spending the extra time that will be needed to actually complete a legitimate IMC. Since this thread began, in my personal opinion, the original idea has dramatically improved and is much closer towards achieving the final goal then it was at inception. I believe that we can all help to bring the idea forward at a faster rate if we put aside some of our differences and just work towards creating some ideas that have corporate appeal.

Sony has already demonstrated that some actions can be taken, but they went with the most simple and surface layer approach; unlock your device and void your warranty. I believe that this plan can be taken to the next level by working towards presenting dev plans as a financially enticing initiative through policy revisions and technology implementations; while also aiming towards finding ways to help compromise on features that would better satisfy the customer base without deviating from the corporations primary financial objectives. I still believe that all of this can be achieved through careful planning of these new ideas and the development of an effective marketing strategy. Lets work together towards achieving that goal through critical analysis and proper recognition of valid ideas. Lets weigh pro and cons to new ideas rather than just outright say one or the other. There is no point in turning this into an emotional or bickering argument, I believe that we can all just be adults and try and look at this more objectively... that's all.

Thanks again for all those who have been contributing up to this point. Regardless of my immediate responses to some of the points made, I often take the time to re-read this thread and think more about the reasoning behind all of your statements. There have been many valid criticisms and worthwhile topics for debate. Lets just try and keep this more constructive moving forward... thank you....

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:
OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Guys I finally did it, I cracked the bootloader. I have been secretly working on this while these threads have been taking place. Moto wouldn't let me take pictures of how I did it but I drew this picture but the picture is so well made it's like looking at a real life photo of how I did it.

lmfao.... I know I just said to keep this thread constructive... but I cannot deny that you just completely cracked me up the second I saw "boots" on that picture.. hahahaha. Please send this to all the devs that have worked on a crack, I think they all deserve a good laugh for all the hard the work they have put in. boots... omg.. lol again.

{{ WugFresh }}

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why you don't think that Sony's simple plan is the best plan.Unlock your phone and void your warranty and hard caps with data so people can't steal data. Simple and to the point. Maybe charge people to unlock their phone so it brings in some kind of revenue and then the problem is solved. It seems to me the more complicated it gets the more likely they are to not do it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why you don't think that Sony's simple plan is the best plan.Unlock your phone and void your warranty and hard caps with data so people can't steal data. Simple and to the point. Maybe charge people to unlock their phone so it brings in some kind of revenue and then the problem is solved. It seems to me the more complicated it gets the more likely they are to not do it.

I guess because Sony's plan is for unbranded, full retail phones. Anyone who wants to can do that now, with the Nexus line. But, people want subsidized phones, with the ability to remove bloatware, and have permission to root directly from the carrier with tethering included in their capped monthly data. That's where the issue comes in, because the OEMs and carriers lose a crapload of money by offering something like that, making it impossible to imagine them ever agreeing to anything that remotely resembles such a scenario.

there will always be an unlocked, rootable phone available for those who want it. the problem is, people want far more then that, and that's what the carrier is not going to offer, because it only makes them lose money.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah I was kind of thinking like maybe if Verizon did it with their subsidized phones and charged. I mean honestly that's all I want. To get whatever phone I want and have it unlocked so I can keep getting updates after the manufacturer stops. All this extra stuff just seems like stuff that no carrier would ever take the time to implement.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

xan

Reaction score
Where can I buy a nonsubsidised DX or d2, with no contact thats unlocked?

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I personally would settle with just a subsidized phone a 2 (maybe 2.5) year contract and the ability to root and unlock, without anything else changed. The only reason why revised data plans seem to be necessary is the tethering issue. I would say just let them throw a service kill switch on if a user is identified as someone who tethers, but as czerdrill pointed out earlier in this thread, devs and hackers are tricky folks and are far too quick to find exploits for a plan like that to ever be trusted... it just reverts back to the classic cat and mouse game. I wish there was a simple way to lock tethering capabilities while still keeping the devices unlocked.. but I just don't see how that is possible.. even if the baseband was locked.. theres just no way to get around the fact data is data and can't really be protected in anyway with unlimited data plans... you cant out hack a hacker unless you just lock them out completely. Here lies the main problem, the desire for freedom while knowing that some people will always exploit a given situation for their benefit if they can. This is why hard caps seemed to be the only logical solution, and in order to do that, I knew definitively that there would be no way to convince a carrier to revise their policies unless it was truly beneficial. Understanding these restrictive and problematic circumstancial issues, the only logical approach I was able to perceive working was to design something entirely new and bring forth an entirely revised and dedicated market strategy as a company would do for any new product. Because of the way the playing field exists today's, the only answer seemed to start over and build up a new scenario that would utilize as many preexisting resources as possible while bringing forth select innovations in policies and technology that would be efficient enough to minimize overhead and truly market the new product for maximum profitable advantage. This is obviously an extrodinarily ambitious initiative and is almost an impossible task, for these reasons I hope to keep thinking of new ways to improve the plan in ways that will hopefully bring it back to something that is actually not to far off from the present scenario or at the very least offer some viable middle ground. So to review, my approach is to think completely outside the box and then slowly work my way back to home base. I hope it can be done because I hate ultimatums and it seems to me that there has to be someway to come to a middle ground.. to compromise. To have freedom while protecting the carriers from it being abused, or for it actually to become profitable for them. I am open to all suggestions or ideas of how this could be accomplished in some way shape or form... until then I am going to keep going to the drawing board and coming back with new innovations, then gear discussion towards determing their merits (or failings). That is the purpose of this thread; to generate new ideas, asset their viability, then either revise them or throw them out completely... reset, repeat.

I like a few of my ideas but not all of them, still needs something else.

{{ WugFresh }}

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Okay, but who's to say that when Verizon implements tiered data that they won't just price it so tethering is built in? If so, a lot of the problems go away.

bplewis24

Reaction score
I believe a carrier does something similar to that currently. If you buy their tiered data plans above 2GB (or something like that), you get built-in hot spot features. Anything below that tier, and you don't.

Brandon

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, but who's to say that when Verizon implements tiered data that they won't just price it so tethering is built in? If so, a lot of the problems go away.

Yeah but the problem is Verizon considers hotspot/tethering as a separate service or feature (even though we all know it's not). It would be awesome if they did do this, but remember for marketing purposes saying "2GB of data and hotspot capabilities" sounds so much better than "2GB of data". By distinguishing hotspot as a separate feature, they not only get more money from charging twice for data, but also are able to appeal to people who don't know the difference (the majority) by saying "you can use your phone as a hotspot!!!"...and that's how people are reeled in.

OP
W

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Recent update:

The Following Is Pulled From Here: The Little Aussie Taking on Motorola U.S. | Ausdroid

If you have been following the Android forums, Twitter feeds, news sites and been listening to our podcast over the past couple of months, you will have noticed a hot topic amongst the Android Power Users about locked bootloaders and the Australian who is trying to take on Motorola U.S. to free their Android devices.

In late January this year, Motorola made an announcement on their Facebook page stating that they would be working on a bootloader solution that would support developers while protecting end users. This announcement coincided with some bad press received from their Motorola Atrix 4G video posted on YouTube, when asked in comments if the bootloader would be unlocked a Motorola representative advised the commenter that if they were after an unlocked bootloader, to look elsewhere. A media storm ensued and the subsequent Facebook announcement was made.

Read on after the break to see how one determined Aussie took the fight to Motorola.
This is where the story gets interesting, Irwin Proud from Melbourne, Australian decided to pick up the Motorola Atrix 4G from the United States as it was the first readily available consumer dual core Android phone of 2011. Irwin purchased the phone in the hopes that Motorola would indeed follow through with their Facebook announcement, thus allowing the high end customisation, such as CyanogenMod. After receiving the phone in late February and later finding out that the bootloader was not unlocked Irwin contacted Motorola to find out if they actually had any intention of unlocking the bootloader of the device. After 3 emails and 1 snail mail letter sent, to which no response was received from Motorola, Irwin decided to start an online petition using a site called Groubal.

The Motorola Locked/Encrypted Bootloader Policy petition was started on the 10th March 2011 and in just over a month has accumulated 8,500 signatures. There has been numerous coverage from Android specific news sites and has even spurred on a Facebook page that has over 500 supporters with the sole purpose of bombarding Motorola’s Facebook page with bootloader questions.

Since Irwin began his online campaign he has since received an update from Motorola as follows:
“In terms of your question – we completely understand the operator requirement for security to the end user, and as well, want to support the developer communities desire to use these products as a development platform. It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM across our portfolio of devices starting in late 2011, where carriers and operators will allow it.”
This was a huge step forward from Motorola and an admission of the possibility of them following in the footsteps of Sony Ericsson who recently changed their Bootloader Policy to allow users with a carrier unlocked phone to open the bootloader across their 2011 range of Xperia devices.

Irwin is still pursuing this further and will continue to do so until something concrete is released or announced from Motorola.

It’s good to see such a positive result from Motorola and even better seeing that result come from the actions of one little Australian.

We will be following Irwin’s actions closely and keep the community updated as the story develops.

This certainly isn't the final word, but its a step in the right direction.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited: