A note about new contacts and Backup Assistant!

tonydelite

Reaction score
Even if you do not set up a Backup Assistant account on your new Droid 3, Contacts is automatically set up to save new contacts to Backup Assistant instead of your Google account! This is probably undesirable for many Android users, so here is how you change it:

1. Open Contacts
2. Hit the menu button.
3. Hit "More"
4. Select "Settings"
5. Select "Contact Storage"
6. Choose "Google" instead of "Backup Assistant" and make sure you select "Remember this choice"

That should take care of it!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Even if you do not set up a Backup Assistant account on your new Droid 3, Contacts is automatically set up to save new contacts to Backup Assistant instead of your Google account! This is probably undesirable for many Android users, so here is how you change it:

1. Open Contacts
2. Hit the menu button.
3. Hit "More"
4. Select "Settings"
6. Choose "Google" instead of "Backup Assistant" and make sure you select "Remember this choice"

Treasonous privacy violation!

Verizon probably (legally) does this so that it can transfer you to a non-Google phone in the future. CYA.

BrianUsher

Reaction score
Nice find. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

spottedcatfish

Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. I figured I had set that in the process of setting up my accounts, and you definitely saved me from some frustratimg contact hunting down the line.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Why do they put backup assistant on any android phone???
might be useful if you're coming off of an lg envy touch straight to android but never again after that...

howzball

Reaction score
Good question

Your contacts are already backed up. Luckily my Backup Assistant doesn't work, every morning I get a message that Backup Assistant could not contact the servers.

I wish it would just go away honestly.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do they put backup assistant on any android phone???
might be useful if you're coming off of an lg envy touch straight to android but never again after that...

Because of what you just said. Its to make it easier for ppl coming from other mobile OS's to Android on Verizon. And thats only if they use Backup Assistant on their current phone. I did use it but something messed up and I had to use a vCard. (I backed my stuff on a vCard when I was on Win Mo so I did that.)

Now I just use Google for backing up contacts, I dont even back up to vCards anymore.

geobernd

Reaction score
Thanks much for finding this... I would not have noticed for a while and I agree with other posters that this is not the right way to promote a (for android) obsolete backup assistant...

spottedcatfish

Reaction score
So if you back up to google, you can only transfer your contact info to an Android phone?

No. If your phone has some kind of app that can sync to Google, you could use that. Or, you can always export your contacts out of your Google account in a CSV (or whatever other format they offer) and import it into your new phone's account/storage that way.

Google makes a pretty big deal of "you can always get your stuff off our sites in a usable format" at the moment, so I feel pretty safe with my contacts living primarily in Gmail.

flameboy

Reaction score
Rated this thread 5 stars. Thanks!

Verizon's backup assistant makes me furious.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did the DROID have back up assistance? If so, was that what allowed me to transfer my LG enV Touch contacts to the Droid when I bought it? If so, it can be useful.

Anyways, thanks for the find! The VZW rep that programmed my phone already did this though it seems, so, I guess yay me if I wouldn't have found this out.

cerps

Reaction score

1. Open Contacts
2. Hit the menu button.
3. Hit "More"
4. Select "Settings"

Is this why even though contacts are set to sync with gmail I can't get them to sync on my wife's just returned X2 and now her new D3? I might have to give it a shot.