902 update question, signal strength & KIN3TX rom

PbSandman7

Reaction score
I am hoping you guys can help me out. I have been on 5.5.893 for quite some time now using the KIN3TX Rom and absolutely love the rom. I've read a lot of people stating its probably still the best ROM available. I've been wanting to try other ROMs eventually but it appears most are based off of .902. My 4g signal lately has been horrific, not sure why. I had a few random bugs and did a cache/dalvik wipe and that seemed to work.. but my service has still been shotty lately. My 4g signal hasn't ever really been great at my house but it does drop a LOT while I'm out and about, in the city where it should be full service.
I decided to switch to CDMA only this last week and that seemed to help keep my signal solid for a while, even extended my battery life significantly. Now even 3g drops randomly, sometimes I have to reboot to get the service back... its pretty annoying.

What would you guys do?

I toggled back to my "stock" rooted rom through safestrap to see if it gets any better. I've heard that the 902 has really helped with the signal strength and am really debating updating to it. My wife has the thunderbolt and she always has 4g!!! and that phone blows compared to others.
Can I just unfreeze my apps in TB and take the OTA or do an update search? I tried doing and it states that it is unavailable and to try later..? What's up with that?

Can KIN3TX opperate on 902 as well?

Thanks for any help and suggestions

vdubnut

Reaction score
I don't know about rooting, but the upgrade to 902 made a big difference in my data drops....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Thats what I've read too. I know the data has always been a problem and that is mainly why I'm wanting to update to 902.

Ive tried searching for the update but it just says try later. Any ideas how to get 902 ota? I defrosted all bloat in TB.

vdubnut

Reaction score
I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff but I remember reading that if you updated off one of the leaks and got "off track " then you wouldn't get the OTA updates. By chance have you done that? If so, you'll have to revert back to the on track version to get the update

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
No I am aware of the ota leaks and that was a big reason why i didn't want to go that route. I'd rather stay in ota path for simplicity purposes. I am on 5.5.893.. no leaks.

Do I have to do anything to my phone to get the new OTA? All ive done is defrost bloat as of now.
i toggled from KIN3TX thru safestrap last night. Stupid question but does it take a few days being back on stock rom for it to receive 902 ota?

vdubnut

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. If you've put everything back to stock it should get the update. It's been out long enough that I would have assumed all units would have received it by now. I think next step for you would be to do a factory reset. I know PITA.... But there's probably some minor setting keeping you from getting it. One other thing....there's a setting that only downloads updates if you're on Wifi... Check to see if that is checked or make sure you're on a Wifi connection before checking for an update.

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Can anybody else confirm this?
I have taken ota's on the standard data signal so I know I don't have to be one a wifi connection for that. Doing a factor reset isn't huge pain but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I did it before to get where I was because I was having issues with my phone so I don't think there should be any reason why I would have to do it again.

Phone is rooted and 4ever rooted too btw. Anybody else?