Still on kin3tx 894, want to move to 902 and keep root...help

Hideakikarate

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as voodoo. Still on .894, so I tried to do the factory reset option, after creating the backup, of course, and after running rootkeeper. So I rebooted past the safestrap screen and the startup sequence began...and began again...and again...and again. So now I'm pulling another factory reset and installing the backup I had made. Any idea what went wrong? I rebooted the phone too after the wipe and still no luck. .894 has been dropping data much more frequently, so I would really appreciate any help. Also, just like voodoo, pretty rusty at the whole rooting scene, so...noob friendly, please.

eye_dea

Reaction score
Hideakikarate said:
I'm in the same situation as voodoo. Still on .894, so I tried to do the factory reset option, after creating the backup, of course, and after running rootkeeper. So I rebooted past the safestrap screen and the startup sequence began...and began again...and again...and again. So now I'm pulling another factory reset and installing the backup I had made. Any idea what went wrong? I rebooted the phone too after the wipe and still no luck. .894 has been dropping data much more frequently, so I would really appreciate any help. Also, just like voodoo, pretty rusty at the whole rooting scene, so...noob friendly, please.

Your on stock 894 or running a custom ROM or 894?

eye_dea

Reaction score
Did you make a backup of stock in bootstrap? You can just restore your backup and take the OTA to 902. Use OTA rootkeeper to keep root when doing the OTA.

Hideakikarate

Reaction score
Therein lies my problem. When I got my bionic I started with bootstrap and not safestrap and for some reason the earliest backup I have is from early this year, while I had it all rooted and modded before Christmas. So I guess I will try and go through my sd card and internal memory for the backup. I know I would have made one because I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to messing with expensive electronics. If by chance I can not find it then what would be my options?

eye_dea

Reaction score
ok gotcha. So my bootstrap saves my backup on ext sd card. With a full battery, go into bootstrap recovery, go to restore option, and see what you have.
If for whatever reason you can not get a backup to restore, then your next option is to use RSDlite and the 902 fxz.

Hideakikarate

Reaction score
Finally got everything back up and running. Wasn't as nice as I had hoped. Used RSDlite to get it done. Problem using that method led me to accidentally delete my rootkeeper file and titanium backup file because my phone saved everything to the internal memory by default. Just aheads up to other people having trouble.

eye_dea

Reaction score
Finally got everything back up and running. Wasn't as nice as I had hoped. Used RSDlite to get it done. Problem using that method led me to accidentally delete my rootkeeper file and titanium backup file because my phone saved everything to the internal memory by default. Just aheads up to other people having trouble.

I wish you would of hit me up before running RSDlite, since there is a file that Timmy10shoes edited to keep the sd card data. You would of never lost your Tibu files then. Next time I guess.
Also, in Tibu, change the backup location to ext sd card.

doctordoctor

Reaction score
Eye-dea you have been very helpful to others i was hoping you could answer a question for me... I ran into some problems way back when the forever root method came about and the new update i believe was .901 maybe it was .902... anyhow i remember you had to load .893 then .901 etc then i ended up with kinect. Is there a newer rom that i am missing or should be running? under my about phone settings it says i am system 5.8.894. XT875. build nnumber [K] Kin3ctx v1.0 The only reason why i am concerned is that my buddy's non rooted bionic is running much smoother and faster than mine... this erks me seeing I thought i did wonders to my phone rooting etc. but with th enew update his phone is awesome and mine is great but just wondering if i have missed something. I jumped ship after i thought i killed my phone and it took 9 hours with someone helping me through google chat to fix it... I have safestrap but who knows what back up i have there...

doctordoctor

Reaction score
well i just looked and I have no backups under safestrap! so i just made one. i know I had some under bootstrap... from long ago will those backups be ok or do they not play nice with the new updates etc?

eye_dea

Reaction score
Eye-dea you have been very helpful to others i was hoping you could answer a question for me... I ran into some problems way back when the forever root method came about and the new update i believe was .901 maybe it was .902... anyhow i remember you had to load .893 then .901 etc then i ended up with kinect. Is there a newer rom that i am missing or should be running? under my about phone settings it says i am system 5.8.894. XT875. build nnumber [K] Kin3ctx v1.0 The only reason why i am concerned is that my buddy's non rooted bionic is running much smoother and faster than mine... this erks me seeing I thought i did wonders to my phone rooting etc. but with th enew update his phone is awesome and mine is great but just wondering if i have missed something. I jumped ship after i thought i killed my phone and it took 9 hours with someone helping me through google chat to fix it... I have safestrap but who knows what back up i have there...

I can definitely help you out. On kinetx, your seeing 5.8.894 because that is the system version it was developed on. However, it was patched to run with the 90x radios. The newest official OTA is 905 and you have to be on 902 to take 905. I can help you get to 902 (if needed) and to 905. However, you will need to reflash either kinetx again or a new ROM.
If you use gtalk, please PM me your gmail address and I will walk ya through everything.

OP
voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I can definitely help you out. On kinetx, your seeing 5.8.894 because that is the system version it was developed on. However, it was patched to run with the 90x radios. The newest official OTA is 905 and you have to be on 902 to take 905. I can help you get to 902 (if needed) and to 905. However, you will need to reflash either kinetx again or a new ROM.
If you use gtalk, please PM me your gmail address and I will walk ya through everything.

you helped me before but now that there is the new 905 update I dont know how to get it. My son has a bionic, stock, and already got the 905. I assume I havent because Im off the upgrade path yet again. I have rooted 902 with kinetx, but shows 894 because of that reason. So how would I get to 905, or is it even worthwhile, should I just wait for ICS?

eye_dea

Reaction score
you helped me before but now that there is the new 905 update I dont know how to get it. My son has a bionic, stock, and already got the 905. I assume I havent because Im off the upgrade path yet again. I have rooted 902 with kinetx, but shows 894 because of that reason. So how would I get to 905, or is it even worthwhile, should I just wait for ICS?

Did you make a stock 902 backup before flashing kinetx? If you did, just restore the backup and take the 905 OTA.
You will need to be on 905 before you can take the ICS OTA. Whether you want to wait for the ICS OTA or not, is up to you. It could be awhile yet before we officially get ICS.
I am on an ICS leak (232) right now and it is flawless for me.
Hit me up if you have any trouble.

js349

Reaction score
3G never returns after call

I too am on kin3tx with Hon3ySc3am theme. But, I would like to get to .902 (or at least the radio) because after a phone call if I'm on 3G, I never get a data signal unless I boot the phone (I've tried toggleing back and forth and going into airplane mode and nothing works). Before this I was on 5.7.893 and did not have this problem. Also, I can switch to 4G and have no issues and I suspect it's because 4G doesn't go away during a call. Any ideas?