.902 Root Method!

davidlquinn

Reaction score
accept 902?

i'm rooted with 5.5.893. should i accept the 902 update first & then run this method to re-root or is there a better way?

thanks

davidlquinn

Reaction score
forever rooted?

i must not have forever rooted since i don't know what that means. i used "motorola universal root script by p3droid"
so based on that how is the best way to proceed?

giddyup

Reaction score
weird thing - I have two bionics, one worked like a wonder with motofail, but the other didn't. on this failed one, the "superuser" didn't exist prior to "run", it was created afterward. after installing tether app (3.1 beta 11) and starting, the hotspot was active and my laptop did log on, however it couldn't reach websites so it didn't work. i did notice that after 2nd boot during the rooting, there was a line "link failed File exists", did anyone else have this problem? i tried P3droid again, it couldn't do it either as those folders/files were already existing. any clue what to do?

Update: redownloaded motofail and reinstalled, it appeared it did connect to the web cuz a tiny info from the website showed, but the speed is unusable. still trying to find out what the problem is...

Last edited:

battle

Reaction score
I did not root before .902 update.
Successfully rooted after .902

Question: are we off the OTA update path now? when motorola finally pushes ICA OTA update, will we receive it?

giddyup

Reaction score
what method did you use? motofail_windows?
mine is still not working. tried inserting 3 lines at the end of mount_ext3.sh method, no luck.
haven't heard anything about future upgrades, hopefully this is it.

drice72

Reaction score
Question: are we off the OTA update path now? when motorola finally pushes ICA OTA update, will we receive it?

I can't speak for others, but .902 was an official update from VZW for me. It was pushed to me OTA. I installed it without any problems. I still have root,and wifi hack still works. I am assuming that if there are future updates from VZW, you are on the path if this .902 was an OTA for you.

battle

Reaction score
what method did you use? motofail_windows?
mine is still not working. tried inserting 3 lines at the end of mount_ext3.sh method, no luck.
haven't heard anything about future upgrades, hopefully this is it.

I grabbed the drivers from the "how to root" thread.
Used motofail windows exploit
Make sure USB debugging is on and phone is connected in CHARGE ONLY mode.
After reboots you may have to set CHARGE ONLY mode again....

I am not a pro, so don't take my word on anything...

giddyup

Reaction score
i was using the same method, something is wrong on this phone (the other was a success).

grumpy22

Reaction score
Could someone tell me where I can get the file? I went to the link provided and didn't see anything.

Thank You

Last edited:

SlamminCam

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome exploit. I especially like the section in the batch file that says Owning phone. That is awesome. Love the touch of humor in the script. Kudos.

battle

Reaction score
Could someone tell me where I can get the file? I went to the link provided and didn't see anything.

Thank You

Ok, I'm already a little pissed cause I typed this whole thing out, and then my **** work computer had an error and refreshed the page..

If you follow this guide, you will have Axi0m (ICS build) AND your stock ROM installed on your DROID BIONIC which has to already have the .902 OTA update

FIRST download Motorola drivers
ROOT/UNROOT Droid Bionic - RootzWiki
depending on your WINDOWS system you will either need
32 bit Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_32bit. msi
64 bit Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_64bit. msi

SECOND download the .902 exploit
Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
here is the actual download link
http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip

THIRD root your Droid Bionic
Instructions were taken from these two websites and combined to make things easier
How To: Root your Motorola DROID Bionic via wicked Security Research by Dan Rosenberg
1. Make sure you have Motorola drivers installed
2. Download the motofail_windows.zip file from above and unzip it to your Windows PC.
3. On your phone go into Settings>Applications>Development and check the box for USB Debugging.
4. Plug phone into your computer and select “Charge Only” mode.
5. Navigate to upzipped folder and execute run.bat
6. Follow the instructions in the command window.
7. Your phone will complete 3 steps, rebooting along the way. When it finishes, you will be rooted.
(you may have to set your phone to charge only again after it reboots, I can't remember)

FOURTH download the ROM you want
I like this ROM if you're trying to get an ICS build for the bionic
Axi0m | cm9 | 4.0.3 | 2/18/2012 via DroidTh3ory
here is the download link AXI0M IONIC ALPHA
If you choose this ROM, also download this apk http://db.tt/Xa50f7qY
place both files on your external SD card
DO NOT UNZIP anything

FIFTH install safestrap
(this allows you to have your STOCK ROM and install any other ROM you like in a "safe" mode so you can switch back and forth)
instructions here
[HOW-TO] Install Safestrap and Create a Backup via guidot
make sure you read and understand these instructions

SIXTH install ROM
instructions here
[HOW-TO] Use Safestrap (backup and flash) (WIP) via guidot
For the Axi0m ROM:
YOU MUST BE ON THE .902 UPDATE TO RUN THIS OR YOU WILL BRICK
NOTE: For Data go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Network Mode/ Select GSM only wait till the screen flashes twice (or it says 4G SIM detected would you like to switch to LTE/CDMA) then switch to LTE/CDMA. Data will come up.

Personal tips: (related to Axi0m ROM)

Once the ROM has started
Its going to ask you to try and sign into your google account
This won't work because you're not receiving data.
You can either connect to a WiFi network OR cancel and sign into your google account later

To get Data working
go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Network Mode/ Select GSM only wait till the screen flashes twice (or it says 4G SIM detected would you like to switch to LTE/CDMA) then switch to LTE/CDMA. Data will come up.
You will have to do this everytime you boot up.

When you initially boot the rom, a loud boot noise will play
To stop this
"go into system/media and delete the audio file, that's the boot sound. It's the folder with bootanimation.zip in it."
-via DroidmanDan

I use Titanium backup, but if you choose to restore apps, make sure you proceed with caution.
I initially restored apps and data and went thru the list carefully to make sure I wasn't going to mess with the build.
However, I ended up deleting all the ringers and notification sounds (this build has the ICS ones and they're nice) and caused some other errors.
When I flashed the ROM a second time, and manually installed and configured everything, its all perfect, No issues.

When you rearrange apps, if you place on over another, it will automatically create a folder, similar to how iDevices do.

There you go!
Good luck!
-battle

Last edited:

mr_bungle

Reaction score
so has rooting the bionic help with the connection issues ?and do you have to root to use 901 or 902 ?