8GB micro SDHC Won't format

headstrong569

Reaction score
Ok so I have a rather new 8GB SanDisk memory card I bought for my Casio Commando. Well the Commando wouldn't text so in my trying to fix it I messed it up somehow by simply initiating a factory reset and now it's stuck at the now loading screen and I really wasn't happy with that phone anyway so I bought this Droid X2. I had only had the 8GB card in the commando a couple days so no real time to put anything on it. So when I get the Droid X2 I put the 8GB in it and right away it says it needs to be formatted so I said ok but nothing happened. It went through the paces but nothing changed. My wife put it in her new Razr and the same thing. I hooked it up to the computer and tried to let windows do it and it says it can't format it. I've tried SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC and it can't format it. I've even put it in my phone and tethered it to my computer to see if I could somehow get it to let me mount it that way but the mount/UN-mount buttons won't even light up so to speak. I was able to see on my computer the disk space used and it is showing it is completely full and I have no idea how that happened I know at most I may have put a couple of pictures on it before my casio died. When trying to use SD Formatter 4.0 it just kept telling me it was write protected. Now I'm not idiot so of course I checked and re checked the switch on the adapter and even tried a couple different ones. I know these card aren't a whole lot of money but it's the principal of the matter. More so because I contacted SanDisk several days ago who claim they will contact you back in 24 to 48 hours yet its been nearly a week and no one has contacted me. Anyone know of anything else I can try that I haven't already? My phone at this point doesn't even recognize the card is even inserted. So for now I have been using my 1GB and it works great but it's just way to small. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
When connected to your PC, did you format it fat32? If so, it could be a corrupted card and you should be able to exchange it at whatever store you got it from if within their return window.