5.7.893 to 5.5.893

novagraduate

Reaction score
Now that the ota has been announced, is it safe to go from 5.7.893 to 5.5.893? I know about the radio kernal staying the same. Has anyone done it with the leaked 5.5.893? Any known loss of root?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now that the ota has been announced, is it safe to go from 5.7.893 to 5.5.893? I know about the radio kernal staying the same. Has anyone done it with the leaked 5.5.893? Any known loss of root?

I read the OTA updates are going to include all the leaked ones. 5.5.893 would be first followed by 5.7.893 and then finally the last one being 5.8.894. This rumor says that the .893 updates would only install on totally stock phones. The .894 would install on all phones even if the kernel/radio did not match. In other words, all the adopters of the leaks would not get the first updates, but would get the final update and then ICS. This leak/rumor also says this is going to be a four month process??

Disclaimer: this is a rumor in the form of a leak. I read it on the internet - so it must be true!!!

OP
N

novagraduate

Reaction score
The updates not even out yet...

True, but EVERY TIME I got a leaked OTA on every other Droid I have ever had, it was the same file size as the one released. So for me, there will be simply a matter of how it gets installed in my Bionic. Either by me today, or the official OTA. I am currently on 5.7.893

pstpup

Reaction score
I am 5.5.893. tried to update to 5.7.893 but no luck. any suggestions.

dags5000

Reaction score
True, but EVERY TIME I got a leaked OTA on every other Droid I have ever had, it was the same file size as the one released. So for me, there will be simply a matter of how it gets installed in my Bionic. Either by me today, or the official OTA. I am currently on 5.7.893

You are 100000% correct. The leaked files are exactly the same as what u would get ota. No one seems to understand that on here and refuses to believe it.

That said if u applied 5.7.893 u cannot apply 5.5.893 due to some checks in the update script. Ull have to just wait uniting 5.7.893 is released officially or a future update comes out without the check. Being on 5.7.893 I suggest u stick with that ad its a higher version and there's no point in downgrading. U do not lose root if u applied the forever root hack correctly

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Dags- if the OTA files are the same as the cheesecake, why don't the system numbers match? All the pictures of system numbers from OTA end in .01, the cheesecake version in .02.

I jumped in early to 5.5.893 and mine also ends .02....

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
You are 100000% correct. The leaked files are exactly the same as what u would get ota. No one seems to understand that on here and refuses to believe it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

i dont totally disagree with you but,
the leaks are just that, leaks that someone stole from moto, if they were intended to be ota's they would release all those files as such.
the leaks are test files building up to a ota, files we werent meant to have.
theres nothing to say moto couldnt or didnt make a few builds, not like the way they were going, and back up to some point and start over.
if something like that were to happen, and we flashed those files, we would be ahead of the release, unable to go back, with test files that didnt make it in the ota...

just saying, moto has not obligation to include leaked files or parts of leaked files in there ota, not saying your wrong.....

ruinah

Reaction score
so are we saying that those of us that installed the 5.7.893 are SOL? I've been running it for weeks and had a lot less issues. After Verizon's LTE problem last week though my phone appears to be back to having a hard time switching 3G and 4G again. I'd like to go back to "stock" at this point but I can't find any info on how to do that, as it seems maybe it's not possible. I've never rooted this phone, just installed the 5.7.893 when it was leaked.

Tonik

Reaction score
so are we saying that those of us that installed the 5.7.893 are SOL?

You can go back to 5.5.893 by 'sbf' ing it then using stock recovery to apply the 5.5.893 update. However I would not do it at this point, smart money is betting that 5.7.893 is going to be released as a follow up to 5.5. It is clear 5.5 helps a lot, but it is not as good as it should be. I am on 5.7 and I am staying right where I am at. It is working much better, it is a good phone now.

SBF instructions here: R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 - xda-developers

Make darn sure your battery is at 100 percent before you do the above. That re-flash eats the battery. Your radio and kernel will remain updated after you are done, that is why you will have to use the stock recovery method to apply the 5.5.893 update. That bypasses the update script which checks the kernel and then fails.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
so are we saying that those of us that installed the 5.7.893 are SOL? I've been running it for weeks and had a lot less issues. After Verizon's LTE problem last week though my phone appears to be back to having a hard time switching 3G and 4G again. I'd like to go back to "stock" at this point but I can't find any info on how to do that, as it seems maybe it's not possible. I've never rooted this phone, just installed the 5.7.893 when it was leaked.

Would strongly recommend that you do nothing. Right now you have a matched system with everything, system, kernel and baseband, being 5.7.893. If you do anything, you'll end up with a .886 system and the kernel and baseband from the 5.7.893. You'll be fine once the 5.8.894 is pushed. Your phone will accept it and it should install fine.

ruinah

Reaction score
thanks guys, I will just stay put I guess. Seems my data drops over the weekend was really a Verizon issue and not the phone.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
You can go back to 5.5.893 by 'sbf' ing it then using stock recovery to apply the 5.5.893 update. However I would not do it at this point, smart money is betting that 5.7.893 is going to be released as a follow up to 5.5. It is clear 5.5 helps a lot, but it is not as good as it should be. I am on 5.7 and I am staying right where I am at. It is working much better, it is a good phone now.

SBF instructions here: R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 - xda-developers

Make darn sure your battery is at 100 percent before you do the above. That re-flash eats the battery. Your radio and kernel will remain updated after you are done, that is why you will have to use the stock recovery method to apply the 5.5.893 update. That bypasses the update script which checks the kernel and then fails.

just wondering if you actually tried this,

i did sat morning just as you described above and it didnt work, it still checks before it applies the update, i watched it, and then it failed....
maybe just me...