4G LTE/ 4G VoLTE

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
So i have a question verizon is launching a new cell service called 4G VoLTE an they have it in two markets already. The question or questions i have are why are they putting out a new service when they havent finished the 4G foot print let alone got it stable? Plus apparently with this new service it will get rid of the requirement of dual radios to use data an call/ txt simultaneously. so people with 3G phones will now be able to use 4G since 4G VoLTE only requires the one radio to work. Plus lol what do u think thats going to do for ur data packages cuz apparently the 4GVoLTE uses data for call and txt. instead of a standalone cdma signal to call an text and the Evdo ( i think thats how u spell it) for data. So what do u guys think?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ConqSoft

Reaction score
The data used by phone calls won't count against your data usage, so those with limited data plans won't have to worry about that.

anhanymouse

Reaction score
The only changes are that people with 4g phones will be able to make calls on 4g. Manufacturer's can start making phones with just the LTE radios. It will not affect phones that are 3g only. An additional perk would be all 4g phones will be able to call and surf the web at the same time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have not seen any information on Verizon launching Voice over LTE yet. Also 3g devices are not able to use the 4G network as they lack the required 700Mhz LTE radio. And on top of that, LTE requires a Simcard.

So i have a question verizon is launching a new cell service called 4G VoLTE an they have it in two markets already. The question or questions i have are why are they putting out a new service when they havent finished the 4G foot print let alone got it stable? Plus apparently with this new service it will get rid of the requirement of dual radios to use data an call/ txt simultaneously. so people with 3G phones will now be able to use 4G since 4G VoLTE only requires the one radio to work. Plus lol what do u think thats going to do for ur data packages cuz apparently the 4GVoLTE uses data for call and txt. instead of a standalone cdma signal to call an text and the Evdo ( i think thats how u spell it) for data. So what do u guys think?

4G phones can only use voice and data at the same time when connected to a 4G network. This is possible because currently Verizon's 4G is Data only and all voice communications are handled by the 3g radio.

All 4g LTE phones can already call and surf at the same time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

km75

Reaction score
I have not seen any information on Verizon launching Voice over LTE yet. Also 3g devices are not able to use the 4G network as they lack the required 700Mhz LTE radio. And on top of that, LTE requires a Simcard.

4G phones can only use voice and data at the same time when connected to a 4G network. This is possible because currently Verizon's 4G is Data only and all voice communications are handled by the 3g radio.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/2...ets-nationwide-rollout-happens-in-early-2013/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

There's an article about it somewhere. They're testing it in two markets right now I believe but it said it won't be deployed over the nation until 2013. To the OP, it won't be deployed until after they've finished building out the 4G footprint.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

anhanymouse

Reaction score
Sorry i wasn't clear. Meant to say you cant surf the web and talk on a cdma network ie verizon. You can only do it if are on wifi and make a call. You can not surf the web and take a call on either 4g or 3g except maybe on two phones that have special antennae configurations.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

ConqSoft

Reaction score
You can not surf the web and take a call on either 4g or 3g except maybe on two phones that have special antennae configurations.

That is incorrect. Any current Verizon 4g LTE phone can make calls and use data at the same time, without being on WiFi. 3g phones (with the exception of a few that have dual antennas) cannot.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's an article about it somewhere. They're testing it in two markets right now I believe but it said it won't be deployed over the nation until 2013. To the OP, it won't be deployed until after they've finished building out the 4G footprint.

But why do they want this service? I am a bit confused on what the benefits are if they have 4G phones that have the dual radios and dont require VoLTE

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
But why do they want this service? I am a bit confused on what the benefits are if they have 4G phones that have the dual radios and dont require VoLTE

Because each radio takes up battery life. If you only have one radio to worry about less battery life is used and I believe the spectrum used for 4G penetrates walls better also so once it's fully built out signal should be better when you're inside too. There's really nothing but upsides to it. All phones will be able to do simultaneous voice and data and it will be more efficient than it is now.

OP
sargentmajord

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because each radio takes up battery life. If you only have one radio to worry about less battery life is used and I believe the spectrum used for 4G penetrates walls better also so once it's fully built out signal should be better when you're inside too. There's really nothing but upsides to it. All phones will be able to do simultaneous voice and data and it will be more efficient than it is now.

Then does the dual radio 4G phones become a dying technology. I mean didn't they just come out with the dual radios for the 4G lte? thats means they outed the dual radios fairly quickly so shouldn't the had gone with the 4G VoLTE in the first place?

don_droid

Reaction score
The standard for doing VoLTE is very new, it just being developed right now. The first VoLTE call was just less than a year ago on Feb 10, 2011. This is still very new stuff.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Then does the dual radio 4G phones become a dying technology. I mean didn't they just come out with the dual radios for the 4G lte? thats means they outed the dual radios fairly quickly so shouldn't the had gone with the 4G VoLTE in the first place?

Yes, sort of. It was never ment to last in the long run. To whole idea from the start was to switch over to a 4G network for everything. But the dual radios will only be around for a show time until someone puts them both on the same chip as they will want backwards compatibility.

TatDroid

Reaction score
But why do they want this service?

The long term plan (several years out) is to have only one network - 4G LTE. But since LTE does not carry phone calls, they need a way to get phone service over LTE. Hence, "Voice Over LTE" (VoLTE)