Verizon's VoLTE Service to Activate Nationwide in Coming Weeks

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
icon-volte-logo.jpg

It looks like Verizon is about to flip the switch on their VoLTE service. This new service will do more than just provide Voice over LTE, it will also bring customers crystal clear phone calls with HD Voice as well as video chat capabilities.

The report indicates that Big Red will begin activating the new service nationwide "in the coming weeks." While that is still a bit vague, more than likely the switch-flipping will sweep across the US very quickly and will likely finish by the end of the year.

While many consumers will see this as a good thing, unless Verizon works out a method to differentiate VoLTE calls from traditional data usage, this could end up being a sneaky way for the company to further monetize their services. Their plan is to switch all calls and services to their LTE data network, which would facilitate creating a system in which all their services are monetized through data cap billing. Basically, all calls could be billed as both minutes and data.

Of course, it seems unlikely that Verizon would expect customers to burn through their data cap with their voice calls too. Supposedly they will include a system that separates the two. Despite this, their video chat capabilities will still be using the data network along with our usual internet browsing and other data services.

Additionally, Verizon promises the older cellular switching network will still run on devices throughout the next decade. Of course, there is one other caveat to VoLTE voice calls. VoLTE voice calls cannot switch back to the traditional 1x cellular network on the fly. This means if you are having a conversation with someone and move out of a network area, or into a building that blocks the LTE signal, then you will experience dropped calls.

Verizon said they are planning other cool features besides just HD voice and video chat for the VoLTE service. It remains to be seen if these "other services" will be worth what we might lose in the process.

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Will VoLTE give Verizon users the ability to do voice and data at the same time like gsm users have been able to do basically forever?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will VoLTE give Verizon users the ability to do voice and data at the same time like gsm users have been able to do basically forever?
I have AT&T and voice and data does not work on LTE. When on the phone it switches to HSPA+ , which does support voice and data.

iphonevolte1.png

bigmatt503

Reaction score
On the verizon 4g lte network I'm almost 100 % sure that the I phone is the only phone that will not do voice and data at the same time...

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Been able to do this since January of 2011 when Verizon released htc Thunderbolt.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if they keep VoLTE usage separate as voice "minutes". Would be nice to pick-up unlimited minutes to go with my unlimited data plan. Although I've long suspected VoLTE would be something they use to push people off unlimited (somehow I suspect we won't get VoLTE, even if our phone is capable).

As far as data usage, I thought I read something like 10megs/hr....so unless you talk A TON, it's not going to make much of a dent in your cap.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if they keep VoLTE usage separate as voice "minutes". Would be nice to pick-up unlimited minutes to go with my unlimited data plan. Although I've long suspected VoLTE would be something they use to push people off unlimited (somehow I suspect we won't get VoLTE, even if our phone is capable).

As far as data usage, I thought I read something like 10megs/hr....so unless you talk A TON, it's not going to make much of a dent in your cap.
News flash, people still do talk on their phones, and 10megs/hr is ridiculous.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So texts will be over lte also?
I can see the commercial now. "With Verizon xlte your text well be received before you even send it. Speeds so fast your lol and ok will be there before you even think to write it."

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Has anyone else noticed the increase in complaints from customers, about vzw's service(reception) getting worse and worse? There are people, many who claim their devices are dropping 4g like back in the bionic days...

This concerns me..

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the increase in complaints from customers, about vzw's service(reception) getting worse and worse? There are people, many who claim their devices are dropping 4g like back in the bionic days...

This concerns me..
It's why I left Verizon after 21 years and took 3 other lines with me. 4g isn't happening in my world and with them switching everything to lte with no plans to add cells in my world makes me glad I switched and has eliminated any remorse of doing so.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's why I left Verizon after 21 years and took 3 other lines with me. 4g isn't happening in my world and with them switching everything to lte with no plans to add cells in my world makes me glad I switched and has eliminated any remorse of doing so.

So who is your new carrier.