3g to 4g upgrade?

Dan_08

Reaction score
Any word on how the 3g to 4g upgrade will work? is the Hardware built into it?

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I am curious about this too... However, I've seen people say after an update, which I presume to be software. Connecting the dots I guess 3.0 isn't built for 4G yet. Anyone else have an idea?

harrellj

Reaction score
I don't recall where I saw it, but one site said you'd have to send it back in qnd they'll add the new hardware that'd be required.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

D

dankarlinski

I doubt they will put a 4g chip in any phone you sent to them. There is a load of hardware and software that goes into it working.

From my Droid 2 on Fission 2.5.7 w/ thirdeye

harrellj

Reaction score
I doubt they will put a 4g chip in any phone you sent to them. There is a load of hardware and software that goes into it working.

Definitely not any phone, but since the Xoom is supposed to be upgradeable from 3G to 4G, some hardware changes will be involved.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

OP
D

Dan_08

Reaction score

well it seems they will have to add something, if the hardware is there why not enable it? I guess it could be a honeycomb issue. If the hardware is there, then I'm sure this community will find a way to use 4g (for free?)!

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
well it seems they will have to add something, if the hardware is there why not enable it? I guess it could be a honeycomb issue. If the hardware is there, then I'm sure this community will find a way to use 4g (for free?)!

If this is the deal then I wouldn't mind getting the first gen. It'd be dumb not to send them with the hardware already installed, or else people won't want to get it because they don't want to buy it, use it, then send it back to have someone tear it apart for like a week.

Poor planning by Motorola if they don't ship with the hardware installed in the first set of tablets.

huelsebu

Reaction score
I read that you will have to send it in to get the radio swapped out

OP
D

Dan_08

Reaction score
I read that you will have to send it in to get the radio swapped out

If that is the case I'll wait till Q2, unless I get done before they release the 4g tablets.

OP
D

Dan_08

Reaction score
I hate when people post information without any sources... (including myself!)

I swear I initially read that you might need to actually send it away to Motorola, but I can't find that written anywhere now that I am searching for it. But this link says you could take it to a Verizon store:
Motorola Xoom will require hardware upgrade for 4G, software patch for microSD use | Android Central

Yeah I hate it too! but good find, I searched earlier but couldn't find anything. Doesn't seem like to much of a hassel to bring it in and have it performed. Like buying a car with a V6 then bringing back to the shop to have the V8 put in...

em1

Reaction score
I would think that they'd already be in the device and a simple software update will unlock its full potential, or tower upgrades.

Sent from the Milestone

D

dankarlinski

Something about handing my phone or tablet to an hourly wage guy at verizon to solder a new chip into my motherboard doesn't seem like a great idea to me... ill just wait for a 4g device. Lol.

EgooEspada

Reaction score

Thats how it'll work. Motorola left room for Verizon to upgrade with a 4G radio. I'm guessing Google wanted this out before the iPad 2, so they compromised on 4G.