supposed "4G" Xoom

Qwerty0912

Reaction score
Anybody else notice this?

Motorola Zoom needs hardware upgrade for 4G

Why are they pushing 4G for this when they don't even have the correct hardware for it? Seems kinda shady on VZW's part.

kdanielson

Reaction score
I did not find it "shady" at all. I thought it was good information to put in, mainly so that people knew they would not have to buy a whole new device to get 4G, but rather just get a free update on the current device. To me, that was a selling point of the tablet, without that I probably would have waited until they came out with a 4G tablet, and all the people with the 3G tablet would be crying because their tablet was already out of date.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
According to an article on xoomforums.com, the xoom was shipped with 4g "dummy" equipment. The way it is going to work is you will have to send your xoom to motorola (shipping and handling will be paid by motorola) and wait 6 days for them to disassemble your xoom and install the 4g equipment and send it back to you. I think thats kinda ridiculous. According to the article the xoom is a pretty straight forward disassembly if you have even the slightest handson ability with a set of small torx bits. It says it would take a total of about 10 minutes to install the items needed for 4g.

Newton122189

Reaction score
4G isn't ready yet but they wanted to offer it for the XOOM so they are offering a free upgrade, I'm a little confused about what part is upsetting you, would you rather it be 3G only?