3g to 4g droid

gentlefury

Reaction score
will a 3g phone be able to upgrade to a 4g phone or would I have to buy a new one?

Once VZW makes 4G available to all a software update to your droid handset will take place allowing for the 4G service to work. As it stands now the droid is the only 4G capable phones that VZW has out. So, no worries

I don't think you understand what the G stands for...sure it's become the new buzz word and people seem to think its like G-Forces....G simply stands for generation. Verizon is currently on their 3rd generation network. The fourth gen network...ie, 4G as far as I've heard will be WiMAX, and no, Droid will not work on it..it is a totally different radio...not a software update.

If they slipped WiMAX capable radios into the Droids that is news to everyone since it has been dissected and if there was a WiMAX radio on there it would be front page news on every blog!

Sprint brags about having the worlds first 4G network....well that was because they also had the worlds first cell network!! Based on how long they've been around they should be at like 8th Gen, so they are WAY behind and shouldn't be bragging about it!

No matter what technology VZW decides to use for the new network it will more than likely require new hardware. While I would love the droid to just jump on the new system when it gets switched on, more than likely that will be saved for the Droid 2....or 3 depending on how long they actually take!

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
This is something that they already have test networks up and running.

The supposed speed is somewhere around 25Mbps MAX, but when a few 3rd party companies where doing testing the fastest they could get at one point was 22Mbps.

Its coming to Verizon, its just a matter of when and $$$$ to develop the infrastructure.

Royal2000H

Reaction score
4G for Verizon is LTE, AT&T and T-Mobile too.

Sprint went with WiMax...

gentlefury

Reaction score
So has anyone announced if this means that VZW will actually adopt SIM cards?? I really hope not! The problem with GSM is that is someone steals your SIM card and pops it in another card they can steal your account...there has also been known cases of people cloning SIM cards and using someones service without them even knowing it!! (until they get the bill that is!)

I really hope they stay away from that!

M

Matth3w

Just to confirm what was already said, once a phone supports a new "g" it is a hardware, not a software upgrade. So no, the Droid will not be a "4G" device. But also it as it was said, it will be time for a new phone by the time 4G really rolls out.

Silver Member
Reaction score
4G for Verizon is LTE, AT&T and T-Mobile too.

Sprint went with WiMax...

I don't think you understand what the G stands for...sure it's become the new buzz word and people seem to think its like G-Forces....G simply stands for generation. Verizon is currently on their 3rd generation network. The fourth gen network...ie, 4G as far as I've heard will be WiMAX, and no, Droid will not work on it..it is a totally different radio...not a software update.

If they slipped WiMAX capable radios into the Droids that is news to everyone since it has been dissected and if there was a WiMAX radio on there it would be front page news on every blog!

Sprint brags about having the worlds first 4G network....well that was because they also had the worlds first cell network!! Based on how long they've been around they should be at like 8th Gen, so they are WAY behind and shouldn't be bragging about it!

No matter what technology VZW decides to use for the new network it will more than likely require new hardware. While I would love the droid to just jump on the new system when it gets switched on, more than likely that will be saved for the Droid 2....or 3 depending on how long they actually take!

you're partially correct. while the G in 3G/4G just stands for "generation" (as it were), Sprint's WiiMax really has nothing to do with 4G/LTE standards.

WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WiiMax is just a series of "hot spots" that work to improve your network's bandwidth. technically, Sprint shouldn't be "allowed" to charge you for this access as no other provider has the ability to charge you to use your wi-fi connection, but because you're using Sprint's dedicated network for WiiMax, it becomes an exception, and they use that exception to define what they call "4G". technically, Sprint calling it 4G is correct, as it's their 4th generation of network access, but the CDMA signal remans the same, effectively negating any REALY 4G benefit.

So has anyone announced if this means that VZW will actually adopt SIM cards?? I really hope not! The problem with GSM is that is someone steals your SIM card and pops it in another card they can steal your account...there has also been known cases of people cloning SIM cards and using someones service without them even knowing it!! (until they get the bill that is!)

supposidly 4G/LTE ushers in the requirements for SIM cards. while security issues can exist with such a method, it opens up a whole new market for manufacturers, and you, as a consumer. having multiple cell services on the same network, with the same standards is only a win-win for consumers.

Just to confirm what was already said, once a phone supports a new "g" it is a hardware, not a software upgrade. So no, the Droid will not be a "4G" device. But also it as it was said, it will be time for a new phone by the time 4G really rolls out.

like was stated, the "G" refers to a "generation" of technology. the same applied to iphones with their 2G, 3G, 3Gs, etc. new generations often indicate new requirements. so yes, anything that will support a new generation of technology will have new requirements.

think SD vs. SDHC
SDRAM vs. DDR vs. DDR2 vs. DDR3
PS1 vs. PS2 vs. PS3

etc., etc.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem with GSM is that is someone steals your SIM card and pops it in another card they can steal your account...there has also been known cases of people cloning SIM cards and using someones service without them even knowing it!! (until they get the bill that is!)

Never had this problem in many years of using GSM. It certainly can happen but I wouldn't worry about it unless you leave your phone lying around a lot.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the 4g will require sim cards also from what i understand, well at least the LTE.