3G making high pitch beep/squeal in right earphone

reversetheriver

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with a high pitch beep/squeal in the right earphone anytime there's 3G activity? The sound coincides with the activity indicator in the top bar. When the 3G indicated is not showing activity, the high pitch noise beeps intermittently. If I turn off 3G, the noise goes away entirely.

Thanks

givmedew

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with a high pitch beep/squeal in the right earphone anytime there's 3G activity? The sound coincides with the activity indicator in the top bar. When the 3G indicated is not showing activity, the high pitch noise beeps intermittently. If I turn off 3G, the noise goes away entirely.

Thanks

In the right earphone of a stereo headset? You must be talking about a stereo headset but you haven't made that 100% clear. ... Use your words!

Have you tried multiple headsets? It could be a poor quality or damaged headset even if it is a very expensive pair.

Have you had someone else listen to it and to see if they could identify the sound? If it is particularly high pitch it may be a frequency that not everyone can hear this was a very common problem with the LG VX10000 Voyager the backlight on the inside screen could make a very high pitch humm that typically only younger women would hear.

Is it an extremely high speed middle frequency clicking/screeching noise? It could be an engineering anomaly causing some sort of crosstalk however again this could also be caused by a poor quality or damaged headset.

I doubt you are going to find many other people who have had the same issue. It is very likely that you have either a poor quality/damaged headset, damaged headphone jack, engineering anomaly, cold soder point, or schizophrenia.

I'm interested in hearing your answer to the 2nd question so long as my assumption about the 1st question is correct. I honestly think it going to either be the headset or an engineering anomaly that can't be fixed. So your device will get replaced and likely be given to someone else with the same exact problem but they will probably never notice. LOL!

Only thing that sucks is by now your replacement will likely end up with a TFT panel in it. :( good reason to make sure its not just the headset before you rush into calling Verizon to order a replacement.

Make sure you don't waste your time going to a store. ... They don't stock this phone and can't even order a replacement for you!

Check your headphones and if that's not the issue call 800-922-0204 listen for the tech support options they can get you a replacement ordered. If you don't follow the correct prompts you may end up in the wrong department and get refereed to a store which would not be good.

OP
R

reversetheriver

Reaction score
yes, the right earphone of a stereo headset that I use on other devices. I would just assume I am crazy if it weren't for the fact that it stops when i turn off the 3G and it only makes the sound when the 3G indicated icon is active. It's a rounded sound wave and is one consistent pitch. It is not all that loud, but noticeable enough to annoy you once you pick it out.

I am a web developer and sit at a desk with 3 monitors surrounding me, and that was when I seemed to notice it, so maybe somehow they were contributing? It's hard to say because any other time i use the earphone I am walking around NYC where there is a lot of outside noise pollution masking it. I have really good hearing and have been known to hear things that other people can barely hear, or not hear at all. My dad used to have a TV that drove me nuts because when he turned it on I would hear a high pitch, while no one else would.

I will keep all your suggestions in mind, but I am beginning to think it is a combination of my keen hearing and maybe sitting around too many electronics.

I was just checking to see if maybe it was something common, but obviously it is not.

Aside from this very insignificant issue, the phone is truly amazing. I've yet to regret the purchase. Even my iphone friends admire it. I have actually gotten signal while in the subway, which is normally unheard of.

Thanks again for taking time to try and help me! If it continues or gets worse, I'll bring it up again, but first I will try to change some variables.

Last edited:

OranL

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I'm hearing something like you described coming out of every speaker I put my Droid X next to, but only when the 3G radio is doing something like you said. Could it be that the transmitters are too powerful for their own good?

duncanhoo

Reaction score
I have had this exact problem and it is very frustrating (particularly since I cannot find anyone else that has it). I can assure you it is not hardware related since I now have it on new equipment (that is correct on two different units).

All i ahve been able to figure out is that for me i have to hard reset to make it go away. Then after a couple of weeks something sets it off and i reset again (very very very painful).

It always seems to be triggered when i am driving from my house to office in washington dc as if there is some change in the signal combined with software runnning that triggers it. Once triggered i cannot make it go away without a reset.

Perhaps there is some software that sets it off but I have no idea.