WiFi vs 3G question

Syko

Reaction score
Normally, when I switch to wifi, my 3G icon in the notification bar disappears until wifi signal is lost or wifi is turned off. In the last week or so, that has changed and I don't know what I did to change it.

Now, when I turn on wifi, the 3G icon remains on and appears to be actively working. When I reboot, the wifi remains on and the 3G goes away like before but this only stays this way as long as my wifi stays on. Once turned off and turned back on again, it's back to both icons again. Anyone know if this is normal??

event121

Reaction score
3G will show if a cellular data connection is initiated for something that cannot go across WiFi - like My Verizon widget updating, MMS, something that had an open and active data connection via cellular when WiFi was turned on, etc.

I have WiFi on at home all the time, when I wake up my phone I sometimes see just signal bars, then 3G with arrows indicating data transfer, then 3G goes away and WiFi lights up.

I often wonder if my WiFi Sleep Policy (set to NEVER) is not functioning correctly when I press power button to turn the display off.

OP
Syko

Syko

Reaction score
3G will show if a cellular data connection is initiated for something that cannot go across WiFi - like My Verizon widget updating, MMS, something that had an open and active data connection via cellular when WiFi was turned on, etc.

I have WiFi on at home all the time, when I wake up my phone I sometimes see just signal bars, then 3G with arrows indicating data transfer, then 3G goes away and WiFi lights up.

I often wonder if my WiFi Sleep Policy (set to NEVER) is not functioning correctly when I press power button to turn the display off.

Mine used to do exactly like what you described. It used to be when I turned the display on, the 3G icon would be seen for a split second until the WiFi icon kicks on. Almost like ":icon_eek: Oh crap :icon_eek:, we've been caught...everyone back to their places.". Now, the 3G stays on all the time even if no data is passing thru it AND WiFi is on. I would think this is normal had it been this way all along. I'm only questioning because it is different now.