Droid 2, high pitched/squeal noise. Verizon, NO HELP!!!

bubs79

Reaction score
I've been with Verizon for 8 yrs, never a problem they couldn't resolve. I got the Droid 2 in Oct 2010 and anyone I talked to no matter what carrier complained of a high pitched/squeal noise, loud. I only heard it once. I went to Verizon last week, they gave me a replacement phone. Not even a week later, same problem. I went back and spoke with a manager. I even printed off pages of the same complaints from other users. They said I had 3 options: Buy a different model, cancel my contract $350 or they'd send me my 3rd DROID. Looking for any advice or others that may have experienced this.

OP
B

bubs79

Reaction score
I'm in the Cincinnati area if that helps

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I haven't experienced this problem, but I'm in Virginia. By using more than one phone, experiencing the same issue, is an indication that it's a network issue.

harrellj

Reaction score
I'm in the Cincinnati area on a D1 and having no problems (however, I don't talk that much on the phone either). Have you updated the PRLs (call *228, option 2)?

dirtleg

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my D2. I can hear it on my end but noone has complained on their end. I almost think it has something to do with the voice privacy or noise cancellation microphones. No matter where in the country I am it comes and goes so I'm guessing it's a phone problem because even with full bars it occurs. I never heard it at all with my D1.

billyidle

Reaction score
When I use the voice privacy feature, I always get complaints of bad quality. Turn it off and see what people say

ysitincoach

Reaction score
Here's VZW's answer to my same problem in the Akron area

I've been having the same symptoms for a VZW BlackBerry Bold in the Akron area.

Reported the problem first in July 2010, then in February 2011, and now in April...no solution.

They insist it's not a device issue, but it's their network..."hear me now?"

Here's their tech reply:

"Here is a bit of background info on the Issue. We identified the root cause to an Software (CODEC) on the Switch, and the Manufacturer (Ericsson) delivered a correction in the software that was applied on the Serving Switch Akron2 on 2/27 ... From the marked calls it would seem that the software does not fix it completely .. "

So, as of yet, they do not have a permanent fix.