Skype for Droid 4

androidv1.0

Reaction score
I installed the Skype and Skype Mobile apps on my Droid 4. The Skype Mobile apps gives me a message saying that it's not available for my device, and I will get an update when it becomes available. So, I use the (regular) Skype. I"ve come across some problems, and I'm not sure if it's my phone, or if it's the app. When I make videos calls with people, sometimes they can't hear me. They can hear me fine when we talk on the phone. When we video chat, I can hear this high pitched squealing (or long beep, or something) noise. in the background. They say they hear the same thing on their end. And when I try to IM them on Skype, they can see my messages, but I can't see theirs. Any suggestions on what might be wrong, and what I can do??? I have a little less than 30 days to return my phone, so if it's the phone, I'd like to be able to exchange it.

JosephWoods

Reaction score
I would not recommend skype for any smart phone. Skype's performance on mobiles is not very ideal. Quality goes really poor with video calls. You can make a call only if you are within the range of high speed wi-fi internet. You can't make any call if you are travelling. I would advise you to forget video calls and install Bria on it. With Bria, you would be able to use more than one sip accounts. Also buy some cheap residential call package from a provider like Voipo.com, Axvoice.com etc. There are many other providers (like voipo and axvoice) who offer not only free local calls but also very cheap international calls.

Last edited:

ramar

Reaction score
Fyi... video calls with Tango work well for me on my Droid 4 and PC.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

SunsNut

Reaction score
My grandson & I did a video chat last night just using Google Talk between my D4 and his Toshiba Thive tablet. Seemed to work just fine. Little big of lag but nothing to write home to mother about.

copperfinger

Reaction score
Yesterday while I was in the emergency room a coworker skyped me. This was the first real opportunity I've had to test skype on the D4 while using 4Glte. The call quality was great, we were able to understand each other. The downside was that call drained my batteries, making my little droid hungry for more.

The planned usage that I have for skype is only when it is necessary. I'll be using other video telephony options because it is simply annoying to have 5 minutes drain the whole battery for the whole day.

moccor

Reaction score
I would not recommend skype for any smart phone. Skype's performance on mobiles is not very ideal. Quality goes really poor with video calls. You can make a call only if you are within the range of high speed wi-fi internet. You can't make any call if you are travelling. I would advise you to forget video calls and install Bria on it. With Bria, you would be able to use more than one sip accounts. Also buy some cheap residential call package from a provider like Voipo.com, Axvoice.com etc. There are many other providers (like voipo and axvoice) who offer not only free local calls but also very cheap international calls.

14.08Mbps down, 13.74Mbps up. I'm sure this 4G on my phone is faster then some people's internet that uses skype fine lol.

OP
A

androidv1.0

Reaction score
Actually, now that I think about it, the problems I had might've been because I happened to be in a 3G area, but then again, I had similar problems when I was in a 4G area (not as bad). I might give the other video calling options a try. Does this other software work with everything? I mean, if I had this other sofware (mentioned in some previous posts), would the other person need to download the same thing as well, or can it work if they're on Skype or whatever they're using?

ramar

Reaction score
Tango only works if both parties have the Tango app. It's free for Android and PC. I only use it for video calls. It works well for me on 4G and Wi-Fi. It works on 3G but not as well.

SunsNut

Reaction score
Video chat works just fine with Google Talk. It knows if the other person's device has video available and in the upper left corner states "Video Chat Available". If you press on that it will "call" the other person that you're chatting with and viola you're doing video chat. It's very easy. It seems to work between all devices (my grandson was using a tablet) that run Google Chat.

w1res

Reaction score
Same problem

Im having the same problem as the original poster on my Droid 4. It is a high pitched squealing sound, and I am fairly certain it has to do with the sound canceling. I'm a little surprised they decided to put the microphone right next to the speakerphone.

If I can find my bluetooth headset I will test it with that. This way we will know if it is the echo cancellation or not.

nicodemus

Reaction score
I'm using Skype on my Droid 4 for video calls and it works fine, my problem is that the app won't stay open on my phone, anyone know how to fix this? When I used Skype on my Droid 1 it stayed open fine.

johenkel

Reaction score
I have skype and it stays on.
Make sure to check in the TaskManager App that it will not shut skype off after a set time!

I had skype on the D1 as well and I am loving the video functionality on the D4 ! Quality is superb !

Johenkel

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

nicodemus

Reaction score
I checked that. Checked Task Killer, wifi. Gonna return the phone because between this and battery life it sucks compared to droid1

nicodemus

Reaction score
OK I reinstalled Skype (again), and now it seems to stay open most of the time.