3G has issues returning when display comes back on. Not a problem with 4G.

remedemic

Reaction score
I have smart actions set to turn off data when the display is off, and it turns off alright, but when i turn the screen back on, it often takes maybe 30 seconds for it to come back up (if not 30, never). This isn't a problem at all with the 4g, only when data is on CDMAonly. Is this part of the "data bug" on the razr that will most likely be fixed soon? or is this a whole other problem? Yes, I have tried setting another smart action to turn it back on with the display, and it doesn't work.

I really want this to work so I can conserve battery life. Any contributions/ideas would be appreciated!

JaBr1884

Reaction score
I'm experiencing the exact same problem, which is keeping smart actions from being the gold mine it could be. I don't push any data to my phone, so this is the ideal setup for me. I posted this experience in the Motorola forum but I haven't received any comments on it. I'm hoping this is just a bug and not the expected speed of the 3g radio finding a connection and connecting to it. Sometimes it connects very quickly just as wifi/4g do, but often it never wants to come up or takes a minute or two. You mention it only happens to 3g, I believe this is the case for me as well. Some people seem to lump this in with the data drops issue, as in it is a Verizon issue, but I'm not so sure I agree with that. Either way, if those of us who use SA in this way can mention their experience, maybe we can learn something about this issue.

Jcassell1

Reaction score
Same issue here. I keep mine in cdma only due to no 4g service at this time in my area. Sometimes my data comes back and sometimes it doesn't. This smart action setting its a huge battery saver but it isn't reliable to turn your data back on. Hopefully moto will recognize it as a problem and develop a fix soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Same issue here. I keep mine in cdma only due to no 4g service at this time in my area. Sometimes my data comes back and sometimes it doesn't. This smart action setting its a huge battery saver but it isn't reliable to turn your data back on. Hopefully moto will recognize it as a problem and develop a fix soon.

I'm not so sure it is the Smart Actions not turning data back on that is the issue. Only twice has my data not returned because "Cellular Data" was not enabled by SmartActions when I turned the screen on/off. Far more often, when I see I have no data, I'll check Cellular Data setting and it is in fact enabled. I wonder if those who use juice defender have the same problem.

There is certainly an inconsistent delay between either the 3g radio turning on, or it finding the 3g network, or the negotiation with the network and the phone. When I don't turn cell data on/off frequently, such as with smartactions, my 3g holds really well.

Olmanrivah

Reaction score
One guy said go to airplane mode then off. It seems to work.

OP
R

remedemic

Reaction score
I'm not so sure it is the Smart Actions not turning data back on that is the issue. Only twice has my data not returned because "Cellular Data" was not enabled by SmartActions when I turned the screen on/off. Far more often, when I see I have no data, I'll check Cellular Data setting and it is in fact enabled. I wonder if those who use juice defender have the same problem.

There is certainly an inconsistent delay between either the 3g radio turning on, or it finding the 3g network, or the negotiation with the network and the phone. When I don't turn cell data on/off frequently, such as with smartactions, my 3g holds really well.

So from this, i think we can conclude that it is a problem with the phone. Probably to be fixed soon?

One guy said go to airplane mode then off. It seems to work.

I've tried things like this. Doesn't seem to work.

Chocula78

Reaction score
I'm also having this problem and it seems to have gotten worse since the latest OTA update.